e Coli urinary tract infection - any advice?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Daphnesmom
Matured Bully

e Coli urinary tract infection - any advice?

Postby Daphnesmom » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Okay, Scooby, our heeler, has been testing our financial reserves lately. 10 days ago, we took him to our vet because he appeared to be having issues pee'ing, as in straining to pee. I thought maybe a bladder infection, although I thought neutered males weren't as likely to get them.

Anyway, the vet wanted xrays as well as urinalisys, lo and behold the xrays show an object in his stomach. Stupid dog...don't know when he did it, but he swallowed a small squeeky fish. So....stomach surgery, and 1600 dollars later and ten days later....

He finished his round of antibiotics for the bladder infection, and the results of the urine test came back positive for ecoli. I don't know what strain.

He's now pee'ing weirdly again, so they're going to run another urinalysis on him to see what's up.

I did some googling on this, and it sounds like it can be pretty serious...I thought the stomach surgery was his biggest problem, but now I'm a little worried. He's a 7 year old, up until now very healthy dog.

Has anyone had any experience with ecoli infections?

I'm worried that he might give this to Daphne, our female pit bull...obviously they share everything, water, beds, etc...

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:10 pm

E. coli isn't out of the ordinary; it is a typical bacteria seen in urinary infections. Falon had an E. Coli infection that was actually resistant to Cephalexin. Because of this, we put her on Amoxicillin for a few weeks and she was 100% better.

Return to “Health Issues”