The smell of rawhide

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

The smell of rawhide

Postby Jazzy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:53 pm

I buy Veronica rawhide retriever rolls from Pet Supplies Plus. I forget the exact brand name but it says they are made in America from American beefhide.

I really like the rawhide for her because it gives her something to chew...and she doesn't swallow them. She really takes her time, and sort of gnaws...usually she wears it down by half or unravels it, and then it gets kinda gross so I throw it out.

Lately I have noticed a funny smell to the rawhide. Well actually, more to the point...one day I happened to smell the rawhide...and it was highly offensive; so I threw it out. I couldn't remember ever actually making it a point to smell rawhide before, so I wasn't sure if they all smelled like that...or if something was wrong with that particular one.

So I started smelling rawhide. Some smell OK. Not like "ooh a nummy snack"; but totally not offensive...definitly neutral...it doesn't smell bad. About 40% of the time I get one that smells like death warmed over. I don't know how to describe it. (Obviously I throw these out). I put this in the health section because I'm wondering if the stinky ones are contaminated.

Has anyone else ever noticed this? Is there a brand of rawhide that anyone uses that never smells bad? Am I the only one who smells rawhide?

I opened a real stinker tonight (an extra large $6 roll :po: ). Before I tossed it I let V. sniff it to get her reaction. I also opened another roll...and low & behold it smelled fine. V. got all pouty and kept looking for the stinky one which I threw out...(but what does she know...)

Amie

Re: The smell of rawhide

Postby Amie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:00 pm

Jazzy wrote:Am I the only one who smells rawhide?

Quite possibly.

;)

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:25 pm

46 views and only 1 (less than helpful; thank you very much Miss. Amie :et: ) response????

(j/k Miss A.; you know I love ya girl!)

But seriously...

? no one else uses rawhide?

? no one else ever came across really stinky, foul smelling rawhide

?no one esle has smelled their rawhide...but really; this smell is hard to miss...

The Doctors Foster & Smith website says they sell Made in America from American beefhide rawhide...I'm going to give it a shot...anyone have any experience with this brand?

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone? :))

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:31 pm

I don't use rawhide (Mr. Os-man used to get rawhide bones until we realized he was breaking them with his jaw before they got spit-soggy. That meant little shards of rawhide in my carpet and then in my feet. Now he gets full bones)

I also don't have a sense of smell (neener neener neener - I can't tell when my dog farts!)

Is there a contact number for customer service on any of the brands you use? I wonder if you could call and ask if there's a shelf life, or some way rawhide would be "bad" or "spoiled"?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:45 pm

We don't use rawhide at all, like retriever rolls. If the dog breaks off a piece, choking is a hazard.
They can also get off a piece and get it stuck in their digestive tracts.
We have used Pig/pork skin rolls in limited amounts, as they are easier to digest once ingested.
We prefer cookies or homemade treats now, or kongs for chewing.

Pugmom
Matured Bully

Postby Pugmom » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:46 pm

I have never had a smelly one......except one that I think got taken outside and then brought back in ...that one looked funky and smelled and got put right in the trash....

I would google the brand name and see if anyone else is having the same issue?

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:20 pm

We don't give Molly rawhide because she's such a chomper and I'm too worried about digestion issues. I understand about the smell, we used to give her bully sticks too but she goes through them so fast, and again the concern about digestive issues. I honestly wouldn't worry about it – it is an animal product after all and I doubt all the drying/processing that is done can totally get rid of the smell. :dunno:

Like others, we stick with kongs and bones (unlike V, I don't Molly would appreciate a pre-bedtime teeth brushing lol )

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Hmmmm...well thanks for the replies guys.

I'm going to mention it to the pet store manager & I'll google (when I get off my butt to go check the brand); and I'm going to try Fosters & Smith to see if it's better.

It's not that I'm a huge rawhide fan; it's just that I need something relatively low fat that satisfies V's urge to chew, and that she doesn't inhale in under 10 seconds.

She tends to gnaw the rawhide and chews really well if she breaks off a small piece. I do watch her when she has one though.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Have you tried the pork skin rolls? Costco has them.
Also I've heard of deer antlers to chew on although I talked to a guy who makes furniture of the antlers and he wasn't impressed, he said his dogs tried them but got bored quickly as they can't destroy them.
Stuffed and frozen Kongs are also good from what I hear, haven't tried that too much.
I'd get the bully sticks too, if you have not used them yet.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:44 pm

We don't use rawhide.
Have you tried bully sticks/pizzles/steer sticks? That's what we get for our dogs. We buy them in bulk online. Not sure the link to the store, but I know ME has posted links before; I'm pretty sure that's where we found them.

leopardjunkie
Adolescent Bully

Postby leopardjunkie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:21 pm

I am going to guess that during the manufacturing process they spray them with some kind of fat or preservitive to make them more attractive to the dogs etc like they do with dog food...So it could be very possible that you open an older batch from time to time that is starting to break down from being on the shevles longet they smell....

but that is just a guess...i don't use rawhides....

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:14 pm

leopardjunkie wrote:I am going to guess that during the manufacturing process they spray them with some kind of fat or preservitive to make them more attractive to the dogs etc like they do with dog food...So it could be very possible that you open an older batch from time to time that is starting to break down from being on the shevles longet they smell....

but that is just a guess...i don't use rawhides....

Interesting...that makes sense.

I don't mean to imply that I only use rawhide...but so far it it's the only thing I've found that gives V. a long lasting (longer than 5 minutes) chew; where she isn't ingesting a ton of it.

We use the hard edible nylabones.
I've used the cornstartch bones (not sure now as she's allergic to corn; however I have read that dogs allergic to corn are not necessarily allergic to cornstarch). Still 5 minutes tops.
And she's really not a swallower. She takes "normal size" bites and she's good about chewing.
She get s a Merrick flossi about 1x week.
I've bought the huge bully sticks. I usually take it away from her after 1/2 hour or so...but she manages to eat quite a bit in that time.
I've done frozen kongs...they're only as good as the food stuffed in them and go rather quickly.
I buy Merrick cow ears (which we call "desperation chews" - because she has to be really desperate and disgusted to touch one).
I buy Merrick texas toothpicks (gone in under 30 seconds)
Merrick pig ears (the real thick ones) she doesn't like.
I tried the pork roll rawhide a couple of times...she's not a big fan.

She absolutely will not touch the totally non-edible chews; like nylabone, or those scented rubber bones...

So the rawhide really is perfect for those times when I want her to have something to chew to keep her busy; but where she's not consuming a ton of extra calories. She can chew a retreiver roll for an hour and not really make much of a dent in it. I do supervise her with them...and if it looks like a big piece comes off or she's worked it over & it's really soft, I just take it away from her.

But I will not give her anything that stinks to high hell. :yucky:

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:02 pm

I was told not to give rawhide to my dogs that is wasn't good for their stomach. I was told that they could not digest it when swallowed.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:48 pm

I don't use rawhides because all of mine are swallowers. They gnaw on it for a minute and the poof! it's gone.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:21 pm

OK; now you guys are all freaking me out.

Scratch the rawhide.

Anyone know where I can get some really big, really thick, made in America, USA beef (or whatever it is) bully sticks?

Return to “Health Issues”