any help on parvo????

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
dentat2
Newborn Bully
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Granite City, IL

any help on parvo????

Postby dentat2 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:57 pm

my pitbull puppy is 3 wks old and has parvo. any hydrating tips would be greatly appreciated. :crybaby:

User avatar
dentat2
Newborn Bully
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Granite City, IL

Postby dentat2 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:57 pm

im sorry she's 3 months old

User avatar
Murfins
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4374
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: Okotoks, Alberta

Postby Murfins » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:00 pm

I'm so sorry.

There are stickies at the top of the page for Parvo and for sub-q.

I assume pup is still with mom?

User avatar
Murfins
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4374
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: Okotoks, Alberta

Postby Murfins » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:01 pm

Sorry, just realised you corrected youself with his age. Nevermind my question about mom. :oops:

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:58 pm

I saved a chihuahua from dehydration and death. He wasn't given great odds with the vet, and was recommended to be hospitalized.

We used a couple CC's of pedialyte every 3 hrs!


He is now a year old, happy and healthy!

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: any help on parvo????

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:39 pm

dentat2 wrote:my pitbull puppy is 3 wks old and has parvo. any hydrating tips would be greatly appreciated. :crybaby:


There is absolutely nothing better than staying with the vet for IV fluids. The fluid rate can be adjusted hourly if needed to maintain proper hydration, and re-hydration can be achieved in hours.

Your second best option is to get fluids from your vet and give them subcutaneously. You may need to do this several times a day. Call your vet, they can help you far more with your situation than anyone else.

msvette2u

Re: any help on parvo????

Postby msvette2u » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:45 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
dentat2 wrote:my pitbull puppy is 3 wks old and has parvo. any hydrating tips would be greatly appreciated. :crybaby:


There is absolutely nothing better than staying with the vet for IV fluids. The fluid rate can be adjusted hourly if needed to maintain proper hydration, and re-hydration can be achieved in hours.

Your second best option is to get fluids from your vet and give them subcutaneously. You may need to do this several times a day. Call your vet, they can help you far more with your situation than anyone else.


x2
Giving pedialyte "might" help but essentially, parvo destroys the lining of the digestive tract, and therefore, it's better to give IV or sub-cu fluids, an antibiotic and anti-nausea drug, all of which need to be prescribed by the vet.
Giving oral medication my not only prolong the illness but may also exacerbate it.

User avatar
TuckerPup!
Newborn Bully
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA

Re: any help on parvo????

Postby TuckerPup! » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:53 pm

msvette2u wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:
dentat2 wrote:my pitbull puppy is 3 wks old and has parvo. any hydrating tips would be greatly appreciated. :crybaby:


There is absolutely nothing better than staying with the vet for IV fluids. The fluid rate can be adjusted hourly if needed to maintain proper hydration, and re-hydration can be achieved in hours.

Your second best option is to get fluids from your vet and give them subcutaneously. You may need to do this several times a day. Call your vet, they can help you far more with your situation than anyone else.


x2
Giving pedialyte "might" help but essentially, parvo destroys the lining of the digestive tract, and therefore, it's better to give IV or sub-cu fluids, an antibiotic and anti-nausea drug, all of which need to be prescribed by the vet.
Giving oral medication my not only prolong the illness but may also exacerbate it.


x3
Anything given by mouth to a parvo positive puppy can do more harm than good. IV fluids with B vitamins given by your vet is the best route. If you can't afford a long hospital stay, get directions from your vet on how to give SQ fluids at home along with any other treatments your vet recommends. Wishing you the best with your pup.

BaltimoreBully
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:35 pm
Location: Baltimore

Postby BaltimoreBully » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:05 pm

some vets have had success treating parvo puppies with injections of antiviral medications directly into the abdominal cavity. Expensive and needs to be started very early in the disease process but worth discussing with your vet

User avatar
SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:19 am
Location: Behind your couch.
Contact:

Postby SadiesHuman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:53 pm

Any updates on your pup? Did you get him to the vet?

User avatar
dentat2
Newborn Bully
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Granite City, IL

Postby dentat2 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:13 pm

i took her to the vet and yes it was very expensive. something im afraid i cannot afford. but thanks to everyone here on the forum i have learned a few methods and am useing them right now. all the vets in town would not sell me the iv fluids for fear of liability. i have obtained iv fluids my own way and am giving them to her sub-q. following the directions i have found on this forum. this is the third day and she is still getting up and walking around. she wants outside to vomit or to go to the bathroom. and is responding to her name. i am feelling really optomistic, but this is my first go 'round and i am kind of worried. but i'll let you know how it goes.

btw the fluids i am giving her are 0.9% sodium chloride.

User avatar
dentat2
Newborn Bully
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Granite City, IL

Postby dentat2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:02 am

this is the fourth day. so far she seems to be getting better she has started drinking by herself. im giving her the fluids every few hours and to me it seems to be helping. she's even looking a tiny bit better or its just my wishful thinking.

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:24 pm

dentat2 wrote:this is the fourth day. so far she seems to be getting better she has started drinking by herself. im giving her the fluids every few hours and to me it seems to be helping. she's even looking a tiny bit better or its just my wishful thinking.


I am glad she is doing better!!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:32 pm

Usually the bad part is about 4-5 days so it sounds like she'll make it!
Next time, try www.carecredit.com and there's a few others sites, to have on hand just in case.

User avatar
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5973
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: Northern Mississippi

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:47 pm

They can have parvo and be doing great and then go down hill very quickly. Just watch her at all times and make sure she has plenty of fluids.

Our dachshund River when he was a puppy had, had 3 sets of shots and he still got Parvo. He had to stay at the vet for about 3-4 weeks. He was 12 weeks old and the vet said it was very slim that he would survive and he did.

Also, when Gracie, our dachshund, was a puppy she had, had all her shots and she got parvo also. Gracie survived and she was at home on IV fluids since my Mom could not afford the expensive vet bill at the time.

They both survived.

After getting over parvo, they still shed the virus from about 2 weeks to a month.

I hope everything turns out ok. Don't ever lose hope and just keep on trying and trying. It is so scary when that happens.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests