Nature's variety raw patties

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
johanns
Adolescent Bully

Nature's variety raw patties

Postby johanns » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:10 pm

does anyone feed the patties? I wanna try them, but i would love some feedback. :thumbsup:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 pm

i used them, my dogs got constipated on them when i fed just those.. they are not bad though for one feeding and then feed something different for dinner.. plus they are expensive...

johanns
Adolescent Bully

Postby johanns » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I will buy a book on making my own raw. :thumbsup:

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:42 pm

There's a good list here:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=65467

and dogaware.com

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:55 pm

I've fed NV patties in the past, and was happy with them, though as Maryellen mentioned, I found them to be so bone heavy that I quickly stoped feeding them alone and used them only as about 50% of their diet. I've found the same to be true of pretty much every pre-made raw food I've fed though, so I don't consider it a failing of NV specifically.

Roo
Adolescent Bully

Postby Roo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Wallace is eating NV Raw meals right now. He seems to be doing better on that than kibble, but we don't have time to make our own RAW meals right now. I do wish they were cheaper though.

Roo

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:19 pm

I don't think NV patties are bone heavy, in fact I supplemented bone when I fed them.

According to the NV rep which came to our store, there was only 10% bone in the NV patties.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:I don't think NV patties are bone heavy, in fact I supplemented bone when I fed them.

According to the NV rep which came to our store, there was only 10% bone in the NV patties.

Funny, I wrote the company quite a few times asking what the bone % was and they refused to tell me every time.

I dunno what the deal is, but each time I tried feeding just the NV patties we'd get very hard, bone bit filled, white poop which was hard to pass :dunno:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:36 pm

I use them occasionally! They are expensive

Lara
Newborn Bully

Postby Lara » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Am I the only one who found them to reek so horribly I almost gagged? And I am not squeamish either - I can chop up a beef heart like nobody's business just fine. :)

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:51 pm

I agree Lara - I've found them to just smell "funny".

They were doing a B1G1 free deal a while back so we used them when we were traveling and they were a little hard to smell at 6 am.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:05 pm

pitgrrl wrote:I've fed NV patties in the past, and was happy with them, though as Maryellen mentioned, I found them to be so bone heavy that I quickly stoped feeding them alone and used them only as about 50% of their diet. I've found the same to be true of pretty much every pre-made raw food I've fed though, so I don't consider it a failing of NV specifically.

Have you tried K9 Kravings? We used that for quite a while, and while it certainly wasn't as cheap as home made raw, it seemed a reasonable price for the convenience of premade, and it didn't cause exceptional firmness. More firm than kibble did, but not uncomfortable looking.
http://www.k-9kraving.com/

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:17 pm

I actually use a Canadian company, Urban Carnivore, that I can get at cost now. They make just straight up whole carcass patties which I actually like better than those with a bunch of extra stuff ground in.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:57 pm

pitgrrl wrote:
Savage Destiny wrote:I don't think NV patties are bone heavy, in fact I supplemented bone when I fed them.

Funny, I wrote the company quite a few times asking what the bone % was and they refused to tell me every time.

Yeah, we really had to press the guy to tell us. Some sort of "company secret" or something... like we at the store were going to steal their recipe. lol

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:16 am

pitgrrl wrote:

I dunno what the deal is, but each time I tried feeding just the NV patties we'd get very hard, bone bit filled, white poop which was hard to pass :dunno:

Thats probably since its an extremely inconsistent percentage. I recently switch my dogs off NV patties, mainly because they have some food alergy issues and needed less ingredients. The only problems I had with NV or any ground patties, is that with out bones to crunch on, their teeth would get some excess build up and their breath was horrid. I also think thats why there is a lot of bone peices in their stools, since its all ground up maybe they become less digestible. Of course this is all guess work, I dont know for sure.

Return to “Health Issues”