Is it okay to mix food brands?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBoxer
Adolescent Bully

Is it okay to mix food brands?

Postby PitBoxer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:15 pm

Okay, here is the thing.. My dog has a nail issue, its a disease called SLO (Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy). The vet gave me fish oil pills to give her which I have been and I looked this problem up and it said fish based foods can help. So I went and bought some Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish, and even got the sweet potato and fish treats as well. Now the problem is, she isnt taking to it as well as I would liked, but I bought a can of natural balance Venison and sweet potato and I mixed it in and she devoured it lol.

So my question is.. Would it be okay if I kept with the Natural balance dry food, but bought the canned salmon food by Wellness and mixed it? Or should I bunch the brands together? I was also thinking about buying the Wellness White fish and sweet potato food and mixing it with the Wellness canned Salmon, but just about every review told me that NB Sweet potato and fish was better.. any advice would help thanks.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:50 pm

it should be fine to mix 2 foods together, I would just slowly add new food into the old to ease the transition. A lot of people actually like mixing 2 or 3 foods together for variety

TuckerPup!
Newborn Bully

Postby TuckerPup! » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:08 pm

As long as your dog's stomach tolerates the food changes, mixing should be fine.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:30 am

Should be fine. Did you try mixing the canned Natural Balance fish and sweet potato?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:09 am

eagle pack makes a sardine/anchovy/salmon dry food and canned too you can try that if the other food doesnt work.

PitBoxer
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBoxer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:43 am

FBODGRL wrote:Should be fine. Did you try mixing the canned Natural Balance fish and sweet potato?

That was my first choice, but when I got to the pet store, they didnt even have it, I am unsure if they even made it at that point? So I just went to the Venison just to make sure she would eat the canned food like a lil tester.

Maryellen, I will look that up and see where they sell it thank you.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:12 pm

www.k9cuisine.com sells it, and buy $50 of stuff get free shipping...

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:14 pm

I also feed Rex both the NB Duck and the venison formula. When he was on the duck his poops were really loose and on the venison they were a bit too hard so he gets a half and half mixture. He has some allergies so the food really works for him.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:14 pm

here is eagle packs site, the store locator can show if there are any stores near you that sell it.

http://www.eaglepack.com/

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:59 pm

PitBoxer wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:Should be fine. Did you try mixing the canned Natural Balance fish and sweet potato?

That was my first choice, but when I got to the pet store, they didnt even have it, I am unsure if they even made it at that point? So I just went to the Venison just to make sure she would eat the canned food like a lil tester.

Maryellen, I will look that up and see where they sell it thank you.

Yep they make it I feed it to Khan.

Return to “Health Issues”