Shampoo ?'s

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KMAN
Matured Bully

Shampoo ?'s

Postby KMAN » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:45 pm

For while I was using a people shampoo, Suave, some kind of fruity smelling stuff. Then I would finish her off with Pantene conditioner. After about a year I gave up on the conditioner because it took FOREVER to get her dry afterwards. Well when I didn't use the conditioner I noticed she would smell like "a dog" about 2 days after her bath. I went to the pet store(they usually have pretty good info at this particular one) and the woman told me that by using people shampoo it was stripping her of the natural PH or something that made her not have that bad dog smell. She said to buy a puppy shampoo to get what ever it was back onto her coat and after a few times of using that I could use a reg. doggie shampoo. After all this Angel still smells like a dog about 2 days after her showers. I know pibbles are known to be oily dogs but do any of you have any recommendations on certain shampoo's or methods or foods or anything that can help with the "dog" smell? I wash my sheets and her sheets/bed every week to try to avoid the dog smell in the downstairs of my house(it's all tile) but it starting to stink down here anyways and it's not even winter yet.

Thanks!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 pm

"Pibbles" are not known to be oily dogs. My dogs never smell like "dog". What kind of food are you giving your dog? Never use human shampoo and conditioner on your dog. There are too many chemicals. I use Buddy Wash shampoo and it works great and is all natural.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:19 pm

I use an allergy shampoo.

My mom uses some kind of shampoo that scent lasts for like 5 days or a week or something....I'll see if I can get the name.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:35 pm

Food is important... a healthy coat starts on the inside. Supplement with Salmon Oil or another EFA supp.

Washing bedding is good, and wash the dog every couple of weeks. I use Earthbath or Buddy Wash :)

KMAN
Matured Bully

Postby KMAN » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:22 am

I'm going to have to check out Buddy Wash. I wash her with Tropiclean lately. It's Hypoallergenic, soap free, with oatmeal and vitamin E. I shower her once a week. She's always been an oily dog. My other friends that have or have had pits also claim that theirs are/were oily too.?. Sorry to stereotype thought they were known to be oily in general.?.

I was feeding Timberwolf but cost was getting a little out of hand, more so because I have to drive about 40 miles to get it. I tried a different type of Timberwolf and she seemed to have a skin reaction so I went to Purina One "sensitive systems". Is Purina One a crappy food?

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:45 am

We use Harry Barker hypo-allergenic oatmeal shampoo and conditioner. It leaves a nice smell that lasts for a few days.

But honestly, pit bulls are not known to be oily dogs. Pit bulls are one of the cleanest dogs around (seriously, that's part of why I chose one; they're not oily or musky, they don't drool or shed much...). Now Bassset Hounds are oily dogs; and they have a wondrously musky, houndy scent that permeates your entire household as well as yourself! I think if you ever smelled my Basset Hound (God rest her lil doggy soul :angel: )...you would have passed out. :))

But as Dennise indicated if your dog really is smelling badly...then something else is up and you need to get to the bottom of it...

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:25 am

FBODGRL wrote:I use an allergy shampoo.

My mom uses some kind of shampoo that scent lasts for like 5 days or a week or something....I'll see if I can get the name.

It's called fresh n clean and the scent can last up to 2 weeks. They have a few different scents.

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 am

I speak from experience that purina one sensitive systems made our dog smell horrible. We switched to canidae, and haven't had a problem since.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 pm

Purina One may be part of the problem. I wouldn't normally recommend a Purina product at all, but if cost is an issue you might want to look into upgrading to Purina Pro Plan. It's a little more expensive than what you're paying now, but still quite a bit less than other higher end products on the market. It's still not the best food IMO, but the ingredients are a bit better than Purina One. When I adopted my shar pei mix she had been fed Pro Plan, and her coat was beautiful and she did not smell.

There's also Canidae or Kirkland (Costco's brand) for a good quality food at lower cost.

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:19 pm

Do you have a whole foods near you??

Whole foods dog shampoo and conditioner smells GREAT! it is minty and cleansing. Having a Chinese Crested grooming is important. I have been using the whole foods shampoo for a while, I switched from baby shampoo (it was making her hair dry, and I didnt want to use an adult conditioner that would be to strong or have to many chemicals in it) And it has been great!!

They also sell dream coat by halo, you put a little on top of their kibble and it makes the fur healthy and shiny....

and of course the food is really important... I am not a fan of purina BUT my dad has used it for ever with his american eskimos and they have beautiful coats!! And I feed the pro plan to my cats since wellness was getting a little too expensive for four cats, and all of their coats look really nice and shiny too!

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 pm

We use Fresh & Clean Oatmeal. The scent is fresh and lasts forever.

Pikarya
Newborn Bully

Postby Pikarya » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:38 pm

Fresh & Clean is A+++, been using it for a long time.

KMAN
Matured Bully

Postby KMAN » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:53 pm

Wow all great advice! I'm def. going to have to go with another brand of shampoo as well as dog food.
The price of the food isn't the end of the world it's more the drive to get good food. I'm gonna have to try another quality food and if it works with her then I'll just have to stock up.

Thanks for all the ideas and brands!

MissLelee
Newborn Bully

Postby MissLelee » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:01 pm

I am having the same issue with my pup... I find that when I give him bath he starts to smell really soon 2-3 days tops... now when I give hima bath I lather rinse and repeat ...

LOL * thinking of Phebe from Friends * roflmao

I started off with Earth Bath Puppy Shampoo... I love the smell it has some Cherry Oil in it but doesn't last... Then a local pet shop/doggy day care owner created her own shampoo... I bought it with the deorderizing mist/spritz... again 2-3 days tops

and when I went to Petco last week I finally saw the Fresh and Clean Oatmeal and Baking Soda and snatched it up... Petco can't keep it on there shelves only 3 days

Now its rainy, cold and windy where I am right about now and my pup is only 3 months so he is definitely and inside dog for the mean time... * would want him to freeze his bits off * lol

But I can't find a good shampoo either.. I was tempted to try Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo... but I know its nots good but Im on my 3rd brand of dog shampoo

my pup is currently eating Solid Gold - Wolf King( which he really loves :inlove: ) and prior to that he was on Fromm - Sur&Turf (Grain-Free) - this was a really good kibble as far as ingredients goes but my pup didnt enjoy it... took he forever to eat his kibble - and the person who sold him to me had him on Royal Canin which I transitioned him off of ASAP when I learned about what should/should not be in dog kibble

So I am definitely all ears about trying new shampoo's
when I get a new debit card seeing that I lost mine at the gas station :crybaby:
I am going to order this...

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetn01l/ruba ... index.html

I learned about this product in another post here on PBF... I hope they work for us.. because my pup is a snuggler and its hard to snuggle with a stinky pup :yucky: ... LOL

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:16 pm

I just started using Selsem Blue for Olive. For Rod, I just wash him as little as possible.. his skin has bad reactions to water, regardless of the soap/non soap I use. Selsem has really helped Olive with her rashy skin issues. And the powder scent lasts for quite a while.

Return to “Health Issues”