Recovery advice for Cyrus pls?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Kahlie
Forum Junky

Recovery advice for Cyrus pls?

Postby Kahlie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:38 am

I'm elated to get to make this thread!!!

I don't know the exact specifics, but what the vet said, she's sending Cyrus home with the following:

Pepcid - to be gotten at pharmacy

Metacam - I guess as a pain med, clearly not for joints, and don't know why it would be for anti-inflammatory...but ok

Metriniozole (sp?) - although she knew I was concerned for the stomach bacteria ... she originally was going to say I can hold off on this med, but then mid sentence changed her mind.

The reason I thought to hold off was because he's been on several IV antibiotics and I was rather concerned for healthy bacteria. She didn't sound supportive of the beneficial bacteria to be added to his food, or in pill format.

Staples are to be removed 10-14 days after.

What (and how frequently) do I feed my boy?
Crating sounds like a given, and he's used to it, but at night he cuddles with me always, am I moving to the floor for a few days?
Remove chew toys, bones, etc...right?

I will likely not do full walks, no idea yet if he's as good/strong as he thinks he is to go on our regular walks (I'll suppose not).

I can't believe he gets to come home finally!

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:53 am

For these types of cases we always recommend many small meals, very bland diet for 5-7 days, then slow introduction of his normal diet after that...but this is definitely something they should tell you before you take him home.
As far as restrictions go he should be leash walked only for now, just to the bathroom and back in, no up and down off the furniture...so no on and off the bed i'm afraid.
He should have nothing to eat outside of his bland diet, so no treats, cookies or bones.
Congratulations on him being able to come home, best wishes for his recovery, hope i was helpful :)

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:21 am

I am so glad Cyrus is coming home!!!! :))

I would recommend small, frequent meals of something easily digestible (no kibble to start) like a BLAND canned food. The #1 non RX food that I have seen work for recovering dogs is Natural Balance Potato & Duck canned. It is more potato than it is meat which makes it very easy to digest...you don't want to "shock" the system with a high protein, high fat food when in this type of recovery. I also cannot stress enough the need for a probiotic! That will help immensely with the stomach upset/healing of good bacteria from the antibiotics, etc.

Hope this helps...keep us updated!

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks for the advice given already. I did feed him the Gastro food they insisted I get (got 2 cans instead of the case....) but I'm really not sure I want to stay with it...
Being that I totally forgot to mention earlier that the cats and dogs are all on RAW normally, does that affect my options for food alternatives?
I far prefer homeopathic options to get his stomach back in order, as well as the rest of the body.
He'll finish his 4 days of antibiotics, so will certainly need probiotics.....
I'm still working out details on how on earth I'll get him to go out several times a day when tomorrow I need to be at work, and I'm normally gone 8 hrs for work, and no family lives close........

Anyways, without further ado, here's my man... home ... being a big brat and yes, laying on my bed (I lifted him).

Don't scroll down if you dislike pics of staples/incision!

Ok, so I warned you! lol

It took alot of petting for me to get him to stop trying to lick at the irritation that is the staples. Is there anything I can put on that irritation?

And here he's telling me, "Enough with the paparazzi!!! I'm not my gorgeous self right now!"

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Aww he looks good! So cute!

You can put neosporin (or any generic triple antibiotic ointment) on the incision. Sometimes it even keeps them from licking the area, but can't hurt them if they do ingest it.

I wouldn't go back to the normal raw until after recovery, so if you are able to get Natural Balance Potato & Duck canned (or continue to get the GI canned food from the vet) I would go with that. It's just temporary so it's no big deal. Keep in mind the more bland the food the better---you don't want to "shock" his system with rich foods.

Hope he continues to improve! :)

patty

Postby patty » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Very glad to hear Cyrus is home bless his heart.

The advice given seems very sound. Would get out my sleeping bad and make a comfy bed on the floor for a few days.

Did they give you one of those plastic cones to put around his neck to keep him from licking his staples?

Get well soon Cyrus!!

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:23 pm

Yup
He has the Elizabethan collar, so that'll be on him when I'm not around...
If he enlists Jasper's help though I'm in trouble...lol
Yeah he's back in his crate now, seems more comfy, I'm getting ready to make my bed on the floor ....

I'll certainly not go back to the raw just yet.

How about feeding amounts though? He was ravenous, not sure if it's because he's home, or if he's getting better, or whether he was before but they limited the amount (they didn't exactly say what amount I should stick with, just that they'd been giving half a can a feeding, occasionally 4-5 feedings a day..)

Thanks for the advice thus far :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:01 pm

Metacam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. It is the doggie equivalent of extra strength aspirin. It is the safest anti-inflammatory medication because it is dosed according to EXACT weight instead of within a range. It has anti-inflammatory properties, and inflammation is heat, pain, swelling, redness, so yes, its also for pain.

Metronidazole is an antibiotic with EXCELLENT anaerobic spectrum of action, and is the medication of choice for any dog at risk for sepsis, such as a dog who had just undergone abdominal surgery.

If you're worried about healthy bacteria, add a probiotic to your daily regimen, but DO NOT skip the antibiotics!!!

Feed your pup small meals frequently, every 2-4 hours for the first day, and then slowly increase the meal size and decrease the frequency. If the staples/sutures are going to fail, it will be between 3 and 5 days post surgery, so the idea is to prevent vomiting etc that might put extra stress on the sutures.

Avoid raw foods for a minimum of 2 weeks post surgery. If it were my pup, I'd wait a month. The immune system needs to concentrate on healing, and does not need even the smallest amount of bacteria from uncooked foods to distract the body. The gastrointestinal tract is also inflamed and damaged and will not have the normal natural barriers to bacteria that allow dogs to handle raw foods better than people.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:03 pm

PS.

When in doubt, call your VET!!!

We don't do surgeries like this every day, and patients like this one really grab your heart. Your vet would LOVE to hear from you and hear how your pup is doing and help you with all the silly mom questions you never knew you needed to know. Discharges are very stressful and confusing, and we'd rather have you call than try to get by if you're confused or need further detailed instructions.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:57 am

definitely continue with the GI canned food (or the other alternative mentioned perhaps) - warm it up if he seems disinterested - he really needs bland bland stuff.... you must be so happy to have him home :)
poor guy!

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks everyone on the advice, I do think I'll have to switch to a home-cooked bland diet as he's got rather more-than-loose stool now, that I'd wonder if it's due to the gastro-food (he's not used to canned food anymore - and it is a drastic change from raw).

I won't go back to RAW for some time with him, but it's something he's mad at me for, let me tell you!!

He's got his Pepcid, he's taking his antibiotics (if ever I start antibiotics I make sure they're always finished), and his Metacam.

He's napping still quite a bit, but with the amount of weight he lost, I'm not surprised.

Thanks for the explanations/insight misskiwi.

And thanks for all the get-well wishes for Cyrus.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:07 am

NO NO NO.... DO NOT SWITCH HIS FOOD.

He's got diarrhea due to inflammation of healing.. NOT the food. Follow your veterinarians instructions.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:11 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:NO NO NO.... DO NOT SWITCH HIS FOOD.

He's got diarrhea due to inflammation of healing.. NOT the food. Follow your veterinarians instructions.

x2.
He's not used to ANYTHING right now. His whole gut has to reestablish the good bacteria.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:19 am

Oh...ok...sounds good :)

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:14 pm

Maybe I missed it, but did they ever say what the problem was?

Return to “Health Issues”