Recovery advice for Cyrus pls?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:29 pm

Nope
His blood test results can be seen here and his xrays showed some air, otherwise nothing, and the exploratory surgery found nothing, all healthy tissue/organs, no blockage, etc.

It wasn't suggested it was a bug necessarily (if at all), or anything, as irritation, a higher increase in white blood cells, etc would have been evident (paraphrasing the vets' analysis - yes, several vets, I spoke with 3-4. And there was no consensus on anything).

Surgical vet said she found something 'rubbery and small' in the colon, but eased it down further to make sure it passed. She said it could NOT have been the root of the evil (she emphasized the not).

The vet that spoke with V, Tanya and I said she didn't want to say that, and didn't want to rule it out at all (she said this because she originally presented the 'findings of the surgery' the next day to me as "well we found something", after I spoke with the surgery vet earlier at 1am.......)

The vet who took Cyrus in said it was most absolutely likely garbage gut.

So, in short, no idea.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:39 pm

Callie wrote:Nope
His blood test results can be seen here and his xrays showed some air, otherwise nothing, and the exploratory surgery found nothing, all healthy tissue/organs, no blockage, etc.

It wasn't suggested it was a bug necessarily (if at all), or anything, as irritation, a higher increase in white blood cells, etc would have been evident (paraphrasing the vets' analysis - yes, several vets, I spoke with 3-4. And there was no consensus on anything).

Surgical vet said she found something 'rubbery and small' in the colon, but eased it down further to make sure it passed. She said it could NOT have been the root of the evil (she emphasized the not).

The vet that spoke with V, Tanya and I said she didn't want to say that, and didn't want to rule it out at all (she said this because she originally presented the 'findings of the surgery' the next day to me as "well we found something", after I spoke with the surgery vet earlier at 1am.......)

The vet who took Cyrus in said it was most absolutely likely garbage gut.

So, in short, no idea.

Ughh...that has to be frustrating. I was telling the BF last night about what happened to Cyrus and that yall had really no clue what was going on...needless to say he didnt want to hear anymore...only because he doesnt like to think of anything bad happening to Sonny! I dont blame him, but though it sucks to hear things happen, in a way it gives others more education on what to do and what not to...and what to look out for.

I hate so much Cyrus had to go through this, as well as you! I am just glad he is home and recovering...give him a big kiss from us!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:40 pm

The world may never know what started it all... but I really do love it when you have a therapeutic abdominal exploratory. Its the most uncomfortable conversation when you don't find anything wrong (but thats good news, right???) but as long as the pet gets better at the end of it all.

I'd almost be curious if a fecal culture would have grown anything funky since you feed raw and they didn't find anything else... but it could have been a dozen other things too.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:50 pm

Honestly at first I thought of the food, I mean why not, makes sense right?

But that night everyone (a 5month old and a 7month old kitten, Jasper, and Cyrus, all!) had the same exact food, and it wasn't that one part was given to one, another to another, but all mixed up - essentially all got literally the same thing. Hence I was hard pressed to think that my sensitive/allergy ridden Jasper wouldn't have reacted, and my eat-everything-in-sight--that's-poisonous-or-otherwise Cyrus, would. Just..weird.

I was ecstatic AFTER he recovered from surgery, when he was getting better.
The vets and techs were rater concerned when he developed bloody diarrhea immediately after surgery (whereas luckily my ignorance calmed me, thinking it was because of the irritation they would theoretically have caused in there during surgery) but he seemed to get better that same day and stop the diarrhea.

So yes, it's added to the world's mysteries. And I can't quite say it's comforting either way - because I have no learned lesson out of this.

There's nothing to watch out for, to be more vigilant on. To be sure to they don't get into, you know?
It's just, crap, he got sick, and luckily he got better, and we have NO idea what made him better, or worse, what made him sick.

All I know is that now he joins my (seemingly) growing list of 'expensive' animals.
Next to the diabetic cat who's the most 'precious' of them all, the cat who had the gallbladder stone, the cyclops bunny - all in good company! :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:56 pm

The eat everything in sight dog probably ate something else then... gotta play the odds with these things... but the food could have contributed if he had a damaged gut from something else he ate prior.... Its just the scientist in me, wanting to investigate all the angles, ya know? I'm sure you feel that way even more since it was your pup.

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:06 pm

Well, when Sadie went through all this our normal schedule was this:

For the first 3 days - I walked her leashed from crate, to outside, back to crate. She had a bowl of water in her crate, comfy pillows and blankets and nothing really to do or chew on, unfortunately.

After the 3 days - I got her an indestructable bone from the store and gave her that to chew on. Its hard plastic that she couldn't pull apart. It helped give her something to do in her crate. I also gave her a Kong with a canned food serving.

On the seventh day I gave her a little bit more of freedom where she was allowed in the living room with a leash and prong collar on. With a bone or two and we did some obedience training with canned food as treats.

The food I fed her was "Hills Prescription I/D" it was prescribed by the doctor. She was on that for 8 days and then we switched her to Science Diet canned per Vet's advisement. It was a bland chicken and rice blend.

After two full weeks of this canned diet, she was switched to a dry kibble food slowly by crushing it up with a rolling pin and mixing it into her canned food slowly. It was about 3 weeks before I was able to put her on full kibble diet only. She was still on Science Diet so I slowly just switched her to Wellness (which she did horrible on) then to Natural Balance Potato and Duck - its a limited ingredient food.

Her poop is still a little loose now and again, and we're still working on getting her firmed up and back to 100%.

I didn't even start walking her until about 3 weeks after surgey, 1 week after staples were removed.

Check out the Training section and find "Things to do with a Box" and those kind of games.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:32 am

how is Cyrus doing?

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:25 am

I'm relieved to say he's almost back to his old self.

And as he gets better, I have to put on the Elizabethan collar if my back is turned, because he loves to lick his leg to death (where the IV was).

Otherwise his BM is still loose, but no more diarrhea, so that's a relief!

He's currently sitting at the entrance of the kitchen giving me a mopey look...I'd have taken a pic but the second he saw the camera he moved lol
He's a smart one :)

He seems a bit antsy and wanting to go on walks, etc... but we just go to the front of the house for now...

He's doing alot better with those staples than my cat had, he had 3 out by this time....

Thanks for asking! :)

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:50 am

I'm glad your boy is doing well. It's scary as hell when they are sick and there seems to be no obvious reason after the medical professionals have done all they can do. Still sending healing vibes.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm so happy to hear that he is feeling better. :) When does he get his staples out?

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:49 pm

He is doing better, the back-half of the stitches' area on his belly, as well as his leg where the IV was, are very red/irritated, and polysporin isn't doing the trick. You can see he's pretty sore inside his belly but otherwise he's doing very well.

The stitches are due to come out 10-14 days from Wednesday the 1st.. (when they released him). So no later than my bday!

Thanks for the healing vibes everyone :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:42 pm

I'd be willing to bet its from licking... I'd keep a t-shirt on him to keep him from licking his stitches. Licking is the #1 cause of post-operative infections in dogs... and with a large abdominal incision an infection would be disasterous.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:20 pm

glad he is better!!

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:45 pm

Whenever any of my animals have had incisions our vet makes us do warm wet compresses a minimum of twice daily for 7 days. I always find this helps the redness and gives some relief to the itching.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:31 pm

As of midnight my time (whatever time that is..lol) Cyrus is staple free!!

I called yesterday and the girl who picked up the phone said I can go in anytime, and depending on which time, I'd just go to the building that was open (there's two, one general and one emergency).

So, I go in, it's late, but so what, I was given the A-ok to visit. It's dead inside. I tell the reception girl what I want, and proceed to get an earful as to "You're lucky it's not busy tonight...." to which I respond "I was told I can come whenever, so I guess I'm real lucky". And then there was some back and forth on "I'm just letting you know next time you come" and me assuring her that won't be the case. Ever!

So she calls out the tech, and then proceeds to give the eye-roll/irritated nod my way to point to tech which dog needed the staples removed (in case she thought it was the invisible other dogs in the waiting room.............).

So we go in to the exam room, and the girl squats down, and Cyrus seems irritated (later turned out he had to go potty) and let's out the "don't touch me I remember this place" gentle growl.
So as I hold his head and he gives up attempts to make a protest, he gets 17 staples removed. Afterwards he's his usual "Oh, I like you" kind of self, even gets treats.

So, after $3200, and no answers, and several useless procedures, and Attitude to boot (that may have been free, not sure), his staples are gone, and he's a free dog! errr...expensive one....but otherwise trouble free!!

Return to “Health Issues”