Interesting statement about "fixing your dogs"

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 am

I thought I would put my two cents in, not that my two cents matter any, lol!

Sonny is intact and will be neutered around 24 months. lol, well thats that!

Im so silly!

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Dude... if my pup was cryptorchid... I'd be eating Ramen until he could have his surgery.

I took him in for a check up and my vet said his retained testicle may still drop. We are hoping it will.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:28 pm

medagrl wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:Dude... if my pup was cryptorchid... I'd be eating Ramen until he could have his surgery.

I took him in for a check up and my vet said his retained testicle may still drop. We are hoping it will.

How old is he?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:34 pm

If he's older than 8-10 weeks, it ain't gonna come down.

racerx
Super Bully

Postby racerx » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:18 pm

i'm personally for early spaying, its what i have done with all my female animals. i would just hate for my roxy to get out and come home knocked up. please i've never like dealing with females in heat i think its gross. lol

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:53 pm

msvette2u wrote:If he's older than 8-10 weeks, it ain't gonna come down.

Not true... but, older than 6 mos? Time to get him in and dig it out.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:57 pm

someone just emailed me this from my dog training group.

http://www.nospayneuter.com/SpayedFstudy.pdf

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Maryellen wrote:someone just emailed me this from my dog training group.

Interesting.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:13 pm

I have seen that and have a hard time believing it, I wonder how they got those statistics.
It's like our saying "all intact dogs do this", because that's all we see.

All I see are unaltered dogs running at large, and in three years, I could count on one hand, altered pets coming into the shelter, while the unaltered ones abounded.
Yet I hear about intact dogs who never run loose.

I mean, there's all these ways of interpreting statistics.

In my own pack, I have 4 spayed females and none are aggressive towards people.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:50 pm

msvette2u wrote:I have seen that and have a hard time believing it, I wonder how they got those statistics.
It's like our saying "all intact dogs do this", because that's all we see.

All I see are unaltered dogs running at large, and in three years, I could count on one hand, altered pets coming into the shelter, while the unaltered ones abounded.
Yet I hear about intact dogs who never run loose.

I mean, there's all these ways of interpreting statistics.

In my own pack, I have 4 spayed females and none are aggressive towards people.

I tend to agree...

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:53 pm

I also have trouble believing in this "study." It doesn't even seem to have been published in any peer-reviewed journals.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:15 am

Maryellen wrote:someone just emailed me this from my dog training group.

Hmm... less than 20% of their study candidates were randomly sampled... wonder where and how they recruited their internet surveys???

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:58 pm

I want to add something to this since I am one of the people that have an intact male dog. Not an APBT.

After being here and knowing the board, I have been honest since I got him, he will be bred IF he passes all health testing and after he titles. I didn't want to hide it from the board but am now wishing that I would not have said anything. People have pushed me to neuter him, against my breeder's contract, because his hips don't look the best off of crappy x-rays with wrong positioning. Because of this I decided NOT to post anymore about him on here as I don't want to deal with it.

I feel that I am responsible enough to care for and handle an intact dog. I have done well so far. Nobody has the right to tell someone to neuter their dog because they feel that the dog should be neutered. That is MY choice and his breeder's choice.

This frustrates me because essentially, I'm letting people run me away from posting about my other dog. IF this is what the newbies feel like when asking about speutering, I understand their animosity and why they leave. It has went so far that I was told that he wasn't breed-worthy and that he has tempermant issues. Both statements are completely ludacris but they got the right affect, I just won't post about him anymore.

I always recommending speutering when the dog isn't going to be worked or shown or is not capable of either. Red was speutered and never had a litter. I waited until she was 18 months old.

There is a right and wrong way about pushing speutering and IMHO- there are people here that try and cram it dowen people's throats. Cramming things at people with such unfriendliness and animosity usually causes the opposite response of what you are trying to achieve.

Just my thoughts on it.

Courtney

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:36 pm

People have pushed me to neuter him, against my breeder's contract, because his hips don't look the best off of crappy x-rays with wrong positioning.

Well, I would assume you would get other x-rays done. If his hips still look bad, I would also think the breeder would want him speutered, as would you, or at least not bred. Sometimes our dogs don't turn out to be what we hoped or wanted them to be, despite our best efforts.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:56 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:
People have pushed me to neuter him, against my breeder's contract, because his hips don't look the best off of crappy x-rays with wrong positioning.

Well, I would assume you would get other x-rays done. If his hips still look bad, I would also think the breeder would want him speutered, as would you, or at least not bred. Sometimes our dogs don't turn out to be what we hoped or wanted them to be, despite our best efforts.

I'm getting another set done BUT he is only 15 months old and not ready for OFA yet. AFTER OFA looks at them and if they do NOT pass, I have faith that they will PASS, if NOT he will ne Neutered per the breeder and mine's agreement as I have said numerous times before!!

I understand that dogs don't always turn out as we expect. I got him for a purpose and if his hips are bad..he'll become a neutered pet dog.

To tell someone that their dog from great lines and a reputable breeder is not breed worthy because you feel he should be neutered is ludacris and I don't agree with it. I promote speuter but there is a right and wrong way for things.

Courtney

Return to “Health Issues”