Long term treatment of airborne allergies.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Long term treatment of airborne allergies.

Postby Jazzy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:24 pm

Anyone have any experience with treating airborne allergies over time?

Veronica is 2; and this year has been much worse than last. I don't want to jinx myself, but the weather is starting to get cooler and her allergies seem to be resolving.

I am hopeful she will be symptom free by next month; and am planning to take her to a dermatologist. My hope is that they can get a baseline when she has no symptoms and go from there...

But I have been researching and what I am finding scares me. Apparrently airborne allergies (which start between the ages of 1 and 3); typically get worse over time until the dog is symptomatic year round.

anyone have any experience where this happened or preferably not happened??

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:54 pm

get your dog intradermal allergy tested and do the hyposensitization shots... its your only chance at long-term confort without immune suppression.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:58 pm

When Riddle was younger and we didn't have her liver issues sorted out, she had HORRIBLE environmental allergies. Dirt, dust, dander, pollen, anything and everything made her break out in hives. By far the best thing that helped her was to bathe her at least once a week, usually twice a week. Just getting the stuff off her skin made her feel so much better.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:42 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:get your dog intradermal allergy tested and do the hyposensitization shots... its your only chance at long-term confort without immune suppression.

I am guessing that that is what the dermatologist will recommend. I would already have had the transdermal testing done; except I hate that they have to put the dog under anesthesia to do it.

Also me being me; I am already worrying that she will be one of the 25% that do not respond to the allergy shots...

Savage Destiny wrote:When Riddle was younger and we didn't have her liver issues sorted out, she had HORRIBLE environmental allergies. Dirt, dust, dander, pollen, anything and everything made her break out in hives. By far the best thing that helped her was to bathe her at least once a week, usually twice a week. Just getting the stuff off her skin made her feel so much better.

I have been bathing her once a week...which doesn't seem to be helping much. Do you use a special medicated shampoo? My vet did not recommend one, so I have been using a hypoallergenic oatmeal shampoo. If you don't mind my asking; what are Riddle's liver issues and how did you sort them out?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:44 am

i use Derma Soothe Allergy Relief shampoo on jesse my gsd, it helps a ton, and she is now able to have a bath once a week in warm weather,and in the winter once every few weeks..
we did the allergy shots and she got worse, so i had to stop with that..

i use benadryl too, but sparingly as jesse's immune system eventually gets so used to stuff it doesnt work anymore.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:45 am

and yes, as the dog gets older it gets worse.. jesse used to be fine once winter hit, now that doesnt help anymore

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:51 am

Jazzy wrote:[. I would already have had the transdermal testing done; except I hate that they have to put the dog under anesthesia to do it.

I feel your pain, Bella will get her test in about 3 weeks and they will give her a sedative :frown: I asked if I could be there with her but they said NO! :po: I understand though, I have to drop her off and come back and get her, but if it makes her better, I will do what I have to.

Good luck with Jazzy, it is frustrating to know that we cant help the one we love. :teardrops:

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:57 am

Also forgot to add, this is the shampoo that Bella dermatologist vet recommended me to use. It works great, but I hate that she has to sit for 10minutes with it on, but it works great.

http://www.malasebshampoo.com/

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:11 am

Romeo has been intradermal tested twice... its really not that bad. The hardest part was actually keeping him off steroids, fatty acids and antihistamines for 30 days prior to the test.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:22 am

Jazzy wrote:I have been bathing her once a week...which doesn't seem to be helping much. Do you use a special medicated shampoo? My vet did not recommend one, so I have been using a hypoallergenic oatmeal shampoo. If you don't mind my asking; what are Riddle's liver issues and how did you sort them out?

I use Bark 2 Basics Skin Remedy shampoo on her. There's no chemicals, soaps, or detergents in it, and it really helped her out when she'd get a bad breakout. I usually bathed her more than once a week, because I had to do it every time we went hiking through brush, she played with another dog and rolled in the dirt, went swimming, etc. Anything on her skin could potentially cause a breakout.

When Riddle was younger, her liver didn't fully do its job of detoxifying her system. It made her immune system have to work overtime to keep her from getting sick, so she was very sensitive to just about everything in her environment because her body didn't have time to take care of the little issues. She was on a detox herb blend for a verrry long time to make up for her liver not doing what it was supposed to. Thankfully, as she got older, her body seemed to adjust to itself a bit more and her liver started pulling its weight. This summer we only had about two or three breakouts. :headbang:

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:05 pm

This summer we only had about two or three breakouts.

That is wonderful!!!

This summer we've pretty much had constant hives in varying stages from July 1st to...oh look we still have them. V. was on antibiotics almost the entire time and on prednisone half of it. :frown:

Right now the hives look a little, OK actually alot better...and she is on nothing but the occasional benadryl. I am fully expecting them to be gone come the middle of October...if the @#$% weather would change and get cold like it is supposed to! :po:

But I cannot imagine a summer worse than this; or this year round.

I've decided to book the dermatologist for November no matter what...

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:25 pm

Jazzy wrote:
I've decided to book the dermatologist for November no matter what...

Did you make the appt already?? When I called for Bella it was like a month wait, I dont how the one your area is. Good luck :thumbsup:

sammy
Newborn Bully

Postby sammy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:51 pm

Now that the weather is getting warmer in NZ i notice that Cookie is getting more skin allergies again (after being practically bump free all winter), i have a suspicion it is airborne and hopefully i wont be visiting the vet every two weeks this summer..

I bath mine with Malaseb aswell, which doesn't seem to do a lot (although it might ive the dog some relieve)..

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:28 pm

:po: :crybaby: :po: :frown:

So when I said her hives were getting better...I was mistaken!!! I am so frustrated and feel so bad for V.; I am beside myself.

I called the dermatologist today and surprisingly got an appointment for this Friday!! I have no idea why I didn't have to wait...but I am tickled pink!

I hope this yields some positive results. I don't mean to be negative; but my Basset had skin issues (not the same as V.'s) and we saw the dermatologist at Angell Memorial in Boston Ma...3 or 4 times...with no significant explanations/solutions. (Although in retrospect, I think Fran's skin issues were part of/connected to her autoimmune disease...but still no one actually told me that explicitly).

Anyway; there is actually a dermatologist connected with our local emergency/specialty vet that is about 15 minutes from me...so we are trying her. Please wish us luck!

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:05 am

I've been trying to give V. nothing but benadryl until the dermatologist appointment Friday.

But I caved last night; I gave her one 5mg prednisone, I had left over.

She was just so hivey! And they seemed to be getting bigger and multiplying!!! Seriously, I was afraid, she'd turn into one big hive while I was sleeping and explode. :frown:

Is that even possible? MissKiwi...?...

(actually I was worrying about breathing difficulty...not because she's ever had it...but because I read too much...and have a wonderfully morbid, vivid imagination... :frown: )

Return to “Health Issues”