Redness, in between his toes.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Redness, in between his toes.

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 am

Ok, so I am not sure if it is normal for dogs his coat color (because of the lightness) or if it is allergies.

Sonny's skin is reddish/pink in bewteen his toes. He doesnt lick them all that often, maybe every now and then, but nothing excessive. I cant figure out if its his skin coloring that is like it, or if his skin is irritated.

he doesnt act like its bothersome, so I am not sure. He has been on the same food since he was a pup...and that might actually be the problem. I am going to start looking into changing him to Natures Variety or something along those lines.

Heres what he eats everyday.

SD (lamb and rice, if im not mistaken) for puppies, large breed
mixed with Greens and/or canned carrots.

He has his regular treats, milkbone or nylabone and peanut butter...obvisously not all these in one day.

But can some shed some light...I keep trying to get pic of his paws, but if I do get one, you cant see the redness...I will keep trying so you can see what I am talking about.

Thanks, any info would be helpful.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Anybody?

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Is there anything else besides redness? That is skin that is delicate, it will get red from anything and nothing. Layla has allergy/yeast issues and will get stinky yeast buildup between her toes (amongst other places).

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:18 pm

Nope, just redness, I will try and get a pic tonight....and sometimes the skin around his nose (right underneath his nose), following the natural lines of his lips, gets red, but not always.

I just wondered if it was allergies or normal for his coloring...meaning that because he is lighter (than a black or darker dog) its normal. I would think on a darker color dog you wouldnt be able to notice all that well.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:35 pm

sounds like yeast to me.. he could have airborne allergies, with the changing of the seasons he could be licking his feet more.. normally dogs that have allergies they show up around 2 years old. but its possible too for puppies to have allergies show up at a young age as well.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:22 pm

The redness usually is a sign that they are licking. I believe it's because there is a protein in the saliva that dries red. If they don't seem to be bothering her too much and the skin is not red, I wouldn't worry about it.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:09 pm

I never really see him lick his paws in the house, and Im usually outside with him and dont see him do it then. They usually stay red between the toes and the redness outlines his pads.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:13 pm

I hace insurance on him and thinking about making an appointment with the dermatologist...they might be able to shed some light...again, he doesnt seem affected by it in any way...does lick or itch...

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:04 pm

If you haven't yet, do a search and read up on the symptoms of allergies.
We had tons of diagnosis problems when Layla was a puppy. The problem is most allergy symptoms are the most common for a million other issues. Thousands of dollars of tests and pills before someone put us on a plan for an elimination diet. They did every skin test known to man, thyroid, bugs, fungi, mites, scabies, fleas, everything. Her first 1 1/2 years of life were on some form of antibiotics all the time.
Finally a friend suggested (not my vet) suggested to see a Dermatologist (?) about all the issues. She put us on a diet and several months (and foods) we found something that suits her.
Her only symptom at the time were belly pimples and the new food took care of those. Now that she is older only environmental issues, spring she gets a few scabby looking things, late summer she'll get the yeasties from the moisture. Ears, toes, coochie.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:16 pm

I second the diet thing-corn is a major irritant/allergen in dogs, and it's a major ingredient in Science Diet food. I would switch to a better food, like some of the ones mentioned around here a lot-Taste of the Wild, Merrick, etc. Take a look at dogfoodanalysis.com, they tell you what sort of problems various ingredients can cause. Good luck,
Jen

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks guys....I have been thinking about taking him off the SD for a while...Ill just have to find a good food for a good price...and then see what that does for his feet!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:45 am

A normal dog will not lick their feet. If your dog licks their feet daily, they are likely infected.

The red staining is porphyrin, a pigment that occurs when saliva dries.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:A normal dog will not lick their feet. If your dog licks their feet daily, they are likely infected.

The red staining is porphyrin, a pigment that occurs when saliva dries.

Thats the thing...he isnt licking his feet really at all...I might see him lick his feet twice or three times a week, and that is usually when he comes back inside from using the bathroom...in the mornings and his feet are wet from the dew.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:41 am

SD = Science Diet??
You could switch him to a higher quality food, for starters. Put him on one of the Duck/Potato or Venison/Potato type that you find at Petco these days.
Chances are it's the soy or corn he's reacting to, it's common for them to lick their feet if allergic.

Here's your ingredient list for SD lg. breed puppy.
Do you see anything that the dog could really (really) use for nutrition?
It doesn't even have a meat source in it. It has by product MEAL, and lots of grains and chicken liver FLAVOR, not even a whole chicken liver.

Ingredients

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, L-Carnitine, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Duck/potato dog food we have our allergic girl on:
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/PandD.html

Potatoes, Duck Meal, Duck, Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

More about ingredients here:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:21 pm

I would switch his food because Science Diet is horrible for dog's fur and skin. Especially for dog's with allergies.
Science Diet is a pretty expensive food and there are better foods that are the same price as it or less.

Return to “Health Issues”