Malignant perianal tumor

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Malignant perianal tumor

Postby 1lila1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Lila, my nine yr old Shep/Pit X is right now at the vets for surgery to remove a malignant perianal tumor. From the research I've done, and confirmed with her vet, is that this type of tumor is very rare in spayed females but when they do get it it's more likely to be malignant becasue a spayed female has lower estrogen levels and estrogen helps to suppress this type of tumor growth. She's been spayed since she was 6m old.

In light of the other thread regarding health benefits and drawbacks of spaying and neutering your pet, this sure adds a different perspective! I"m very in favor of S/N but I can't help but be sad that this particular condition was in fact made worse because she's spayed. OF course, whose to say if she wouldn't have gotten mammary tumors or a pyometra if she would've remained intact. Because, of course, she certainly would never have been bred!

Has anyone experience this type of tumor? How long did your dogs live afterwards?? The vet wants to do radiation but I'm reluctant as we jsut went through a year of chemo/radiation with my fiance's sisters dog and he ended up passing away after being miserable and sick for the whole year. I can't do that to Lila and would rather her have three happy healthy months than a year or two where she was sick. I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself because the vet has to call me back and let me know if she could get all the tumor and how the surgery went. Is there any test to tell if a tumor has metastatasized?? How will she (the vet know??).

Anyway, if you could all send some thoughts, prayers, and good vibes Lila's way we'd really appreciate it!

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Aww Im sorry...sending good thoughts to Lila

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Sending good thoughts your way. Hugs to you & Lila!

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Sorry to hear this. I'll be keeping you and your girl in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about your pup. I hope the surgery goes well, and please update us once you have histopathology to confirm the malignancy (or not) of the perianal tumor.

The slightly increased chance of malignancy of a rare tumor should not counter the hugely decreased effects of contracting a very common tumor.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks so much everyone!! I just got off the phone with the vet and she said that because the tumor had invaded the surrounding muscle she won't know if she got it all until we get the biopsy results back. But other than that Lila did great and they even said she was less nervous and snappy once she got away from me. She loves people but gets nervous and growly with the vet!! The biopsy will be back Monday so I'll have to wait until then. Unfortunatley the vet said there's no way to know if it has metastasized until or if more tumors start popping up in other areas of her body. She still wants me to take Lila to an Oncologist even though I'm reluctant to do radiation or chemo. But like she said, more information is always good! Thanks again for your kind words! It really does help!

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Sending lots of positive healing thoughts.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:53 am

Murfins wrote:Sending lots of positive healing thoughts.

x 2.

so sorry to hear... agree it is always good to get more information.

EagleEye
Newborn Bully

Postby EagleEye » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 am

I'm so sorry that you and Lila are going through this. I'm glad to hear she did well during surgery.

Sending healing thoughts her way.

Return to “Health Issues”