What's your choice of dog food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Another vote for the TOTW Pacific stream.

And just a little note, in case someone didn't know this..the Pacific stream formula is the only one that doesn't have egg or chicken in it, making it suitable for dogs who have allergies to those things. (Like my lil itchy-girl, Kira) It has thus far been the ONLY non-prescription food that she has tolerated.

knife0022
Newborn Bully

Postby knife0022 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:59 pm

Innova Evo...

Subliminal
Adolescent Bully

Postby Subliminal » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:01 pm

No 'Old Roy' users here?

Surprising. ;)

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:58 pm

Subliminal wrote:No 'Old Roy' users here?

Surprising. ;)

I haven't seen anyone on here that feeds Old Roy, Pedigree, Beneful, Science diet, Eukanuba(sp), etc. I guess most people think they are crappy foods. I agree with most of them, haven't read up on Old Roy yet though.

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:50 pm

After extensive research and banging my head for 2 weeks to decide on what food to switch too...I started my switch from Timberwolf to Orijen today. I got the fish flavored bag. The dogs ate it right up. I mixed half a cup of each. I will post about how it goes once they are fully transitioned over.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:58 pm

What do people think of 'Before Grain' (by Merrick) ??

I read this thread yesterday (twice!) and got all bug-eyed from reading about food after food after food on the dog food eval site - so I came home with a bag of before grain but I'm thinking of taking it back today (I feed raw dinners BTW). I have fairly recently switched from Canidae (which I liked but when they changed formulas, I bought a bag of Natures VAriety, -prarie. I've really only used 1 bag of this, tho, so I guess I owe it longer try. But the review on NV says 'high apparent grain content' and th Before Grain only has potatoes.... I got discouraged, tho, when BF didn't have a review in the review section... Thoughts since only one other person in this thread has mentioned they use Bf...??? (I love their canned food, BTW - it's just water and buffalo or water and salmon, etc.
---------------------------
Merrick Pet Care Before Grain Buffalo

Reviews Views Date product posted
0 6044 Sun August 24, 2008

Description: Calorie Content:
3581 kcal/kg (calculated) – One pound provides 1625 kcal of metabolizable energy (calculated). One cup (100 grams) provides 383 calories. (Caloric content calculated using Modified Atwater Method).

Ingredients:
Buffalo Deboned, Chicken Meal, Potato Dehydrated, Turkey Meal, Canola Oil, Sweet Potato Dehydrated, (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Yeast Culture, Natural Dried Chicken Liver, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Guar Gum, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry Freeze-Dried, Blueberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Venison Broth, Zinc Amino Acid Complex,Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Natural Venison Flavor, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Rosemary Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 32.0%
Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 15.0%
Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 3.0%
Moisture (Not More Than) 11.0%

Nutritional statement:
Before Grain Buffalo is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food nutrient profiles for all life stages.

Hammer 4
Newborn Bully

Postby Hammer 4 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:10 pm

My 8 mo. old has been on merrick before grain for a tad over 2 mos. now. At first he has gas bad, and it Stunk! :yucky: But after about a week or so that went away. he started out on the salmon/chicken flavor, then I trasitioned him to the buffalo both of which he liked. I should mention that i mix in Inova(sp) puppy food (wet).

Also I have tried just about all the top rated kibble i.e. totw ect and even had him on preparded raw, that was to spendy. Now he gets merrick in the am, and a chicken leg 1/4 at night, and so far that seems to work great.

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:35 pm

I use timberwolf and have good results

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:22 pm

dcomella wrote:I use timberwolf and have good results

Have you purchased a bag lately? Like since the 25.00 price increase?

That is why I changed to a new food.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:27 am

I switched to Innova about two weeks ago. She loves it. I also add glucosomine liquid liver flavor and fish oil. I call that her "gravy" lol She is always happy to eat now.

Return to “Health Issues”