WTF!!!!!!! Was 2 secs away from hurting his lil @$$!!!!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ruger
Adolescent Bully

WTF!!!!!!! Was 2 secs away from hurting his lil @$$!!!!!!

Postby Ruger » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:18 pm

I'm only posting this in the Health section instead of the Behavior section because it happened during the very first time of starting the transition from one food to another.
Here is what happened. I do the aggressive/protective eater(whatever u wanna call it) check about twice a week. I never had any problems when i put my hand near, over, or take his food while he's eating. No growls, barking, snapping, not even a dirty look. Only lil sad can i please have my food back looks. Well 2day i finally found him some Natures Variety Instinct Chicken Meal dog food. It was the first time mixing 1/4 of the Natures Variety with the crappy Pedigree I've been feeding him. Well i gave it to him and he was tearing it up, i went to do the check and once I put my hand near the bowl he stopped eating, looked at my hand and started growling. It caught me by suprise because he doesn't growl or bark at nothing or nobody unless they r doing something to him that he really doesn't like or that hurts him. I was 2 secs away from f'in him up because there is no way I'm putting up with that, I got my self 2gether b4 i hit him backed up and took a breather. I tried it again and the same thing happened, happened 3 times all 2gether.
So what i would like to know is what can it be?
Is it anyway that he just likes the new food that much?
Could it just be a coinsadence that it happened the very first time I mixed the food?
Has this ever happened to anyone else?
I need help b4 it happens again, dont wanna have to hit him.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:29 pm

do not hit him even if it happens again.... will not help...good on you for taking a deep breath, and stepping away... this is not my area but I would say a better response would be to take away the food completely away..... wait a long period of time (half hour??) before giving it again...if he growls again... same thing...maybe 2 chances before end of food 'til next day??? Sounds to me like this food is high value to him.

hopefully someone more experienced will step up, also how old is he?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:38 pm

I agree with not hitting him, that wont help.

I don't know that I agree with taking his food--that might reinforce his "need" to gaurd his food.

What I would do is start feeding him by hand. That way he learns that all food comes from you, and it isn't his to gaurd.

Libby

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:39 pm

here's one thread I found that discusses this http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... d+guarding

and has some good links as well as a good book referenced (Mine by Jean Donaldson)

you may want to move this to behavior though as you will get more responses....

Oneluckygirl
Matured Bully

Postby Oneluckygirl » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:40 pm

I will agree with the post before mine. When I got river I made sure he knew I was the giver of life. He jumped for his food even as an 8 week old and every time he did it I would take the food away and place it somwhere in sight of him to know your food is still there but I would ignore him and go do something for a couple minutes come back and repeat the process till he problem solved he was not getting squat acting that way, while he ate I told him good boy and pet him roughly took his food away and gave it back and put my hand in it, or you can put a leash on him and put his food down and have someone yank it and say no when he starts to growl keep repeating the process he might just be protective cause if he is a puppy had to fight for his food. but try it out take the food away as you have someone yank his lead and say nope..or no or ahah and place it somewhere he can view it and do it every single time you feed him. River will eat with another dog in his bowl and not have a problem with it and now he stays like a rock when I put his food down and will wait till i give the command to okay i can go pee, eat a twinkie have a phone call conversation and come back and he will just be sitting there.. Good luck.

love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador

Postby love for ba brody » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:26 am

As already stated, do not hit your dog, aside from not being affective in solving your problem it might even worsen it if your dog views you as a threat.
Like Ketra said, feeding him by hand would be a great way to go about this.
You might also want to try adding something extra special to his food, when you come by and place your hands in the bowl. This way he will learn not only is it not bad when you come around him while he's eating, but he will be excited, because you will be giving him extra special goodies.

Oneluckygirl wrote:River will eat with another dog in his bowl and not have a problem with it

You should definitely not allow this to happen. Even with a very, sweet loving dog, a fight could arise in this type of situation.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:25 am

If you do decide to take his food away, don't take it away for long... Just take it away, have him sit and give him something really yummy like a piece of cheese, hotdog, etc. and then hand him back his bowl... that may begin to reinforce that if you do take his food he's going to get something yummy for it like love for da brody said.

I used to stick my hand in the food bowls and drop something yummy in, so each time my hand went in they got something they loved...

Hand feeding kibble is a good idea too... we've done that as well and it worked great for training. We had the dogs sit, down, stand, shake a paw, etc. for every single bite of supper or breakfast they got... instead of eating out of a bowl, I was the one dispensing food. We didn't have a problem with food guarding, but did have a problem with Marley only respecting my boyfriend and not listening to me... having me hand feed him for a few weeks helped A LOT :thumbsup:

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:26 am

Thanks for all of the feed back. He's only 12 weeks so it shouldn't be 2 hard to fix the problem since he's not too stuck in his ways if it even turns into a problem . But like i said this is the first time, so I will c what happens in the morning when i feed him. Thanks again yall!!!!!!!!!!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:36 am

Let him know it's your food and that you are sharing it with him. Set the bowl down... if he goes right for it, jumps, whatever, pick it back up. Wait a few seconds, then repeat until he is staying off of the food when you set it down (even if it takes 100 times... stick to it every meal). Then, give him a go ahead word (I use "ok") and walk away.

Definitely drop something super yummy in his bowl while he's eating once or twice a week so that he associates it with something positive.

Another tip that my trainer told us:

While it is important to make sure he is ok with you taking his food, putting your hand in his bowl, etc., it's important that you aren't constantly bugging him while he eats. That might make an otherwise non possesive dog feel the need to protect his food!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:35 am

We fed our food aggressive puppy solely by hand when she was that age.
She has no possessive aggression now.
When we couldn't sit and feed her, one of the kids did it. She had to sit nicely for the meal and if she got up, we told her "sit" and she sat and resumed eating.

I'd like to say as well, hitting a puppy for doing something so natural to it, is a very good way to make it a mean and/or biting adult.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:01 am

Well you basically taught your dog to guard his food by constantly taking it away and not giving him anything positive out of it. Wouldn't you have a problem with that? When you feed him, make him wait until you say it's ok to eat and if you go messing with his food you better have something more yummy to give him, that way you being around his food dish=him getting something better instead of his food getting taken away. I hope you do some serious reading in the training section and do not hit your dog.

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:11 am

GoingPostal wrote:Well you basically taught your dog to guard his food by constantly taking it away and not giving him anything positive out of it. Wouldn't you have a problem with that? When you feed him, make him wait until you say it's ok to eat and if you go messing with his food you better have something more yummy to give him, that way you being around his food dish=him getting something better instead of his food getting taken away. I hope you do some serious reading in the training section and do not hit your dog.

I never took his food away, and when i put my hand near his food and he just backed up until i moved i did give him a treat. LOL u saying it like i have no idea of what I'm doing or something. Thanks anyway.

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:15 am

WackyJacki wrote:Let him know it's your food and that you are sharing it with him. Set the bowl down... if he goes right for it, jumps, whatever, pick it back up. Wait a few seconds, then repeat until he is staying off of the food when you set it down (even if it takes 100 times... stick to it every meal). Then, give him a go ahead word (I use "ok") and walk away.

Definitely drop something super yummy in his bowl while he's eating once or twice a week so that he associates it with something positive.

Another tip that my trainer told us:

While it is important to make sure he is ok with you taking his food, putting your hand in his bowl, etc., it's important that you aren't constantly bugging him while he eats. That might make an otherwise non possesive dog feel the need to protect his food!

I was doing that for a while, he seemed pretty good at it so i just was letting him eat. Guess i have to do it every time i feed him now. And i've started the whole eating out of my hand thing also. Thanks

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:22 am

People I understand and appreciate yall concern with me hitting my puppy, but he is my child. And I'm one of them people who will never hit my child, he is still a dog so he can get a spanking only when he absolutely deserves it. I was just expressing how mad it mad me, thats all!!!!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:37 am

Ruger wrote:People I understand and appreciate yall concern with me hitting my puppy, but he is my child. And I'm one of them people who will never hit my child, he is still a dog so he can get a spanking only when he absolutely deserves it. I was just expressing how mad it mad me, thats all!!!!

Well if you choose to go that route I pity you and your dog.
You need to read the training methods here, as hitting your dog can only turn out badly.
What are you going to do when he's 50-70lbs, and decides he is not going to take your abuse any longer?

We just had a 73lb. female foster pit here and she DUCKED when you'd move your hands - is that how you want your dog? Cringing when you go to PET him because you've struck him?? It's not pretty.
And to think she could have crushed the hand that struck her, or the windpipe of the idiot who did that to her.

Yet they don't.
Dogs see us as some sort of god - don't ruin that for him. Please.

Return to “Health Issues”