Not eating and losing weight ...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Not eating and losing weight ...

Postby dove » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:22 pm

As some of you may know, Tonka has been on a Injectable antibiotics for teh past 28 days for an staph/MSRA infection in her inner ear. She has been handling the treatments great until this last week. Tuesday night she wouldnt eat, and then she didnt touch her kibble ... and the same thing Wednesday night ... Then on Thursday she even began to refuse treats. The vet put her on pepcid to help calm her tummy (since I notice her starting to eat grass) and I cooked (boiled) her up a chicken breast with some rice and gave her about a cup on Thursday night. It was a good sign because she ate it all ... But then last night (Friday) I cooked (boiled) her up the chicken & rice and she only smelled it and then walked aways. I called her back to her bowl and she just sat there looking at me and would eat. When I picked up a few chucks she would take it, but then let it fall out of her mouth. The one good thing is she is still drinking water (LOTS) and she is not vomiting. Tomorrow is her last shot, so the vet is hoping after the shots are over she will start getting her weight back on.

When I took her into the vet this morning for her shot, I put her on the scale, she is 47.1lbs, but last staurday she was 52.8lbs.

I am going to pick up some cottage cheese on the way home from work this afternoon and see is it appeals to her. I am running out of ideas of what to try to get her to eat. Any suggestion would be WELCOMED!! Thanks ~ Deb

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:41 pm

The problem, I've found, is that a dog will refuse to eat because they're nauseated, which then leads to further nausea, so they feel worse and it's just an awful cycle.

Personally, I'd try making slippery elm syrup, mix with a bit of raw honey and see it that works to settle her stomach enough to eat a bit of something.

To make slippery elm syrup mix 1 heaping teaspoon of slippery elm powder (available at most health food stores) with 1 cup of water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously, then turn down to a med/low heat and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, again while continuing to stir.

Take off heat and allow to cool. Mix in a tablespoon of raw honey.

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:57 pm

awe poor thing...i'm sure the hardcore antibiotics are making her nauseous. hopefully once she is done with them she will feel better. I would ask about something else to settle her stomach...pepcid is an antacid...not so much an anti nausea med. Unfortunately if you give her anything too rich it may make her worse, so although she needs to eat....bland is better.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:02 pm

I go through lot s of tummy problems with my JRT Trixie.

Try a lot of different things. Canned food, hamburger, baby food, rice with chicken broth. Just get something in her. I feed Trixie raw, and she's doing much much better but still has bad days.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:06 pm

Foods that are wet and foods that are warm will be more appealing to her.

I would also get some probiotics into her to help with her intestinal upset. There is a powder made by purina called FortiFlora that can be mixed with water and syringe fed if she's not taking food. You can also try yogurt, but I tend to recommend using yogurt sparingly as dairy products can also cause stomach upset, and I have a feeling she needs a whopping dose of gut bacteria.

dove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dove » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:35 pm

I took Tonka to the vet today for just a checkup with the doctor, and weighed her. She gained back some, she is now at 48.9 :peace: ... I found this really cool canned food I mixed up with some kibble, and giving her smaller amounts a few times a day instead of all at once once a day. this seems to be helping.
I also think too, she is mad at me, and maybe a bit depressed :oops: I mean heck it has been 6 weeks since her ear surgery and she hasnt been able to go anywhere with me exceot to the vet. I will try and give her a treat, and she will not take it, my mom or kingsgurl will give her a treat, and she will take it :frown: It is like she thinks all the shots and not being able to go everywhere with me is all my fault.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions :peace:

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:55 am

pitgrrl wrote:The problem, I've found, is that a dog will refuse to eat because they're nauseated, which then leads to further nausea, so they feel worse and it's just an awful cycle.

Personally, I'd try making slippery elm syrup, mix with a bit of raw honey and see it that works to settle her stomach enough to eat a bit of something.

To make slippery elm syrup mix 1 heaping teaspoon of slippery elm powder (available at most health food stores) with 1 cup of water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously, then turn down to a med/low heat and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, again while continuing to stir.

Take off heat and allow to cool. Mix in a tablespoon of raw honey.

Lets not forget slippery elm is wonderful for skin irritations too, working from the inside out as well as on the skin :)

Return to “Health Issues”