New PB owner worried....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

New PB owner worried....

Postby originalg00kster » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:33 pm

okay so lately, ive bee noticing some hair really thin around Cali's eyes. but than Romeo the black apbt has it around his eyes too...but its like above the eye and towards the ears and what not. and than around her shoulders and stuff there are spots...of just no hair...there is no irritation no redness no nothing. can someone re assure me ? should i be worried ? could it be the shampoo ? worms ? someone help me out please. i'll get pictures asap. she doesn't act any different either.

franco
Adolescent Bully

Postby franco » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:55 pm

yes some pics would help, and i'd recommend taking them to get checked just to be on the safe side. bump

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:05 pm

My first guess would be demodex mites, which is a kind of mange. I would take him in to the vet to have a skin scrape done to see if that's what it is. Sometimes puppies outgrow the demodex, but it can also get very serious and result in lots of hair loss and itching, so I would have it checked out.

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Roxers wrote:My first guess would be demodex mites, which is a kind of mange. I would take him in to the vet to have a skin scrape done to see if that's what it is. Sometimes puppies outgrow the demodex, but it can also get very serious and result in lots of hair loss and itching, so I would have it checked out.

:goodpost:

originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:19 pm

yeah im going to bring her in and see what is going on...thanks for the replies guys. im still gonna try and post some pictures up.

Hammer 4
Newborn Bully

Postby Hammer 4 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Our pup had the same hair/fur thinning around his eyes, he had demodex, and since then his fur has filled in nicely..btw, cute pup.. :thumbsup:

originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:58 pm

so im gonna make an appointment for her tommorrow and get a skin scrape or something. im worried.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:31 am

Demodex is common in puppies. All dogs have Demodectic mites, dogs with immature (puppies) or compromised immune systems often aren't able to keep the population of mites in check, so to speak. It is treatable and, if it's localized, not so bad. Generalized (effecting large parts of the body) is much harder to treat.
It sounds like you have caught it early, so treatment should be easier :thumbsup:

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:04 pm

I agree with the Demodectic Mites comments above. Odie had it on his nose for a while. I got some cream and we put it on every day for about 2 months! It was fun cause he hated it. When you get the cream make sure you rub it in til its gone. Dont just leave it on there cause he will wipe it right off. and make sure you get a chocolate ton of rubber gloves from your vet. dont get that crap on ur hands!! :) here is odie's nose, does it kinda look like this?

Puppies get it because of weak immune systems. It usually happens around there nose and eyes. You need to get rid of it quick as it will spread and then you have to get into baths and all kinds of other crap you dont wana do!!

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:05 pm

LOL! It says chocolate ton in my post! I said a *sheeeeeit* ton

originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:53 pm

seee the thing is, it is nothing like that. it is not that big. at all. and the spots on her body are not that big....but i need to get a picture asap..need to get my little sisters camera. cause if that is the demo mange than it looks nothing like that.

originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:03 pm

alright here are the pictures...sorry but they are bad pictures haha.

does that look like demo mange ?

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:32 pm

it kinda does look like it to me, at least the spots on her body do. Those are a lot of them. You need to get her to the vet ASAP and get that taken care of before it gets out of control. If it is Demo Mange, the ointment isn't that expensive. If it is Demo mange, due to the many spots, you might already be past the stage of just using the ointment. Take her to the vet ASAP so your doc can diagnose and fix it. :)

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:44 pm

While it could be something else, it looks like generalized demodex. Do a search on here, because you should know what your treatment options are.

originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:53 pm

alright thanks guys. i have an appointment scheduled for monday..because i dont know hwen my car is getting done and what not. so im gonna have to take her in earlier to see what is up.

Return to “Health Issues”