New PB owner worried....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
BamaBullies328
Newborn Bully
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:41 am
Location: Alabama

Postby BamaBullies328 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:50 pm

Msvette2u -- haha! sorry! yes. i just read both your posts. Friend's bully is on ivermectin and mitaban, but she's pulling her now and going holistic. Pup is staying on ivermectin, but dropping the dips. luckily, i've not lived this nightmare. :headbang:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:02 pm

I meant the op - sorry! :oops:

btw, we gave a mange pup Missing link and wild salmon oil as supplements. Have you tried or would you recommend that as well?

User avatar
BamaBullies328
Newborn Bully
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:41 am
Location: Alabama

Postby BamaBullies328 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:29 pm

No experience with Missing Link. I do use Grizzly Wild Salmon Oil oil as a supp for my EBs, but even though they are similar (compromised immune system, blah), they are different. I'm trying to come up to speed to on the Pits. Promise! It's turned out to be a little tough. :)

User avatar
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Contact:

Postby originalg00kster » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:15 pm

msvette yes i did read your post. im just kind of hard headed hahaha. all good. i have to look into this stuff...maybe save me a lot of money and tell them not to dip my dog...and how long does this heat stuff last for ? i feel horrible for her.

User avatar
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Contact:

Postby originalg00kster » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:17 pm

so should i get the 1/2 cc syringes ? that would be .5 ml am i correct? and that would be the right amount for my 46 lb pup ?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:38 pm

originalg00kster wrote:so should i get the 1/2 cc syringes ? that would be .5 ml am i correct? and that would be the right amount for my 46 lb pup ?


Again, I think it'd be best to ask your vet - if your vet won't give you dosages and wants you to do the dip (yes I'd recommend against it at this point, it is ultimately up to you however) apparently some use a higher dosage -- that said, I know the dosage is safe at
.1 cc/10lbs of body weight which is, yes,
.2 cc/20lbs,
.3/30lbs, etc. on up, a 50lb. dog should be able to safely take
.5 ccs (or 1/2 a cc. )
Usually you can get 1 cc insulin syringes in which it's easier to draw the medicine up accurately.
If not, it's not going to be TOO inaccurate to use a 3cc syringe. Just remove the needle after you've drawn it up and slide the syringe in the pocket of your dog's cheek and squirt it in. I think it's bitter so you want to have a treat waiting for pupper for immediately after you give it.

I gave this to our foster pup weekly, some advise daily, etc.
I've not treated demodex on a long term basis so another member who has can help you with daily vs. weekly, etc.

User avatar
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Contact:

Postby originalg00kster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:56 pm

thanks msvettte, im gonna call my vet and see what options i have for this.

User avatar
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Contact:

Postby originalg00kster » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:27 pm

so i talked to my vet and they said that it would cost more money to do this option than the dip. and they said it would take twice as long.

User avatar
Marley44
Newborn Bully
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Northern VA

Postby Marley44 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:45 pm

You should get a second opinion. Your vet should give you options.
We treat this with oral ivermectin as well and possibly an antibiotic.
Treatment takes time, but works well. Better to be complete and help it work than doing dips that can also cause a reaction allergically..not evening thinking of the other problems.

I'm a student too, and if i wasn't a tech i'd be broke.... but really, second opinion. Skip the dip.


:)

User avatar
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Contact:

Postby originalg00kster » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:40 pm

thanks Marley, im gonna go looking around for other vets and seeing what their opinions and what other options i have before i go into anything. im gonna have to cancel the appointment for the dips...until i know for sure that is the last resort.

User avatar
AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby AkainePSP » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:56 am

When I was about at my wits end I finally started looking at vets outside of my area. I now travel 45 minutes to go to the vet. I was actually looking for a veterinary dermatologist. And I found one (1 1/2 hrs away). I was actually fortunate enough to find a vet that was closer that consults with the veterinary dermatologist I was looking into.

Please get a second opinion.


It sucks living in a rural area.

Kelly

User avatar
haileyBug
Matured Bully
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:30 am
Location: Box Springs GA
Contact:

Postby haileyBug » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:26 am

we live in the middle of nowhere. We're going to be driving at least an hour to the vet. from now on. my 'close' vet was not attentive enough to see MAJOR concerns with hailey.


it pays to research your vet.


And everyones skipping your heat question.


heats last till you spay the dog. PLEASE do her a favor and spay her ( but judging form everyones responses you may need to wait till the mange clears up? I dont have experience with it so IDK )

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:31 am

originalg00kster wrote:so i talked to my vet and they said that it would cost more money to do this option than the dip. and they said it would take twice as long.


It will take longer but again, the dips can be dangerous, aren't guaranteed and the ivermectin will last months at $25-30 a bottle.

If your dog is not spayed you do need to spay her, each heat will bring the mange back full force and it will be hard to control.

I agree - get a 2nd opinion.

User avatar
Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6772
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:26 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby Fenriswolf » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Well I tend to be the other way from most of you guys - we tried ivomec but if it was working it was working slowly. We took some amitraz home, did weekly dips (be aware it's incredibly fatal for cats), a month later she had hair growing back.

Sure it's a nasty chemical but it worked for me, and fast. On an advanced case. Ivomec? Isn't actually designed for mange at all and can be very hit and miss. Up to you, but you need some sort of medication because the longer you leave it the worse it's going to get.

Important to note it looks like your pup has generalised demodex. Quite different to localised demodex, it's harder to get rid of and often recurring. Sucks, but it appears to be genetic and this is the joy that BYBs spread around. :tongue:

User avatar
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Contact:

Postby originalg00kster » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:00 am

unfortunately she did come from a byb...but yes i need to get a 2nd opinion. and the vet said something about 65 bucks a bottle or something. but i have no clue. and yes im going to spay for sure. im not breeding her or anything. but is it true that if you spay early that they wont grow to their full potential? cause shes a pretty big girl right now...7 months 46 lbs. but yes i am going to spay no doubt. this heat thing is nasty. and costly.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests