Laser neuter vs. regular?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Laser neuter vs. regular?

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:59 pm

So I just adopted a male dog, intact, the shelter usually requires them to be fixed ahead of time but we are quite a distance from them and not making that trip twice so we just paid a larger deposit and he must be fixed within three weeks. So I called my regular vet who is 2.5 hours away and they want $350 plus $40 for a checkup before hand, plus our gas and food. Wowza! I called the vet in town I don't like and they charge $175 for regular or $215 for a laser neuter. I assume the laser is a little easier on the dog and on recovery but don't really know squat about it. I'm also going to try to get the other vet in town to do it if he's priced well but he doesn't accept new patients and only treats a few days a week as he's been trying to retire for years and can't find a replacement. I'm hopeful as my friend with a pit got his in and the vet likes bullies.

BaltimoreBully
Adolescent Bully

Postby BaltimoreBully » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:00 pm

I've seen dogs done both ways and honestly as long as it is a competent vet I don't think it really makes a big difference. The dog is out no matter what. The only benefit I've really noticed is that adult males tend not to swell as much afterwards but if you keep him quiet for a few days that isn't a huge concern in most cases. I have seen some very active adult males get neutered and then have a scrotum as big as a softball for a week but that is not the norm. Especially if you are follwing the vets directions at home.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:30 pm

i don't know why using a laser would have any impact on whether or not the scrotum swells.

personally i'd go with the regular old surgery. while i can appreciate that laser would be useful in special scenarios, i see no reason why it'd be better than a blade in routine spay/neuter surgeries. yeah it cauterizes, but there's really not that much bleeding in a regular neuter anyway, so what's the need? i mean, other than to pay for the really expensive piece of equipment.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:59 pm

My bff who has worked in vet clinics and gone to school for animal bio says that laser is a waste of money... It is such a simple surgery for neuters that there is really no point or benefit of doing laser surgery..
Unfortunantly our vet only does laser neuters on dogs now and its 450 bucks with everything included.. ouch.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:43 pm

Well thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if it made a big difference or not but don't want to cheap out on a surgery. Glad to hear it's not much of an issue, I didn't think it could seeing as it's a pretty quick procedure. We'll probably have to confine him as he seems very active.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:51 am

Our laser wasn't working the other day, and the dog I took a scalpel to seemed unusually painful considering her pro-active pain medications that were given well before surgery.

It might have just been a coincidence, or I might be out of practice with the scalpel on skin, but that one surgery was enough for me to vote for the laser.

Its not an option in my clinic, and it doesn't change the price unless we are using the laser for a laser-specific procedure such as distichia removal or redundant palate surgery etc.

kaliya5
Super Bully

Postby kaliya5 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:38 am

$215? $350? $450? Good lord that is a lot of money. When I was calling around for neuters in my area I found a vet that does it for $95 and it includes all pain shots. They were pretty full though and couldn't see us for a while cuz they only do surgery once or twice a week. We had to get our fosters snipped pronto because they were becoming very DA and ended up going to a vet that could do it the next day charged around $150 for everything, still not bad though.

I have heard mixed things about the laser neuter from friends, but I tend to agree with starrlamia, the neuter is fairly simple. My dogs got the traditional surgery and were up and moving around within hours afterward and recovered quickly, little swelling, no redness.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:04 am

kaliya5 wrote:$215? $350? $450? Good lord that is a lot of money. When I was calling around for neuters in my area I found a vet that does it for $95 and it includes all pain shots.

I don't understand how anyone can do surgery that cheap, use sterile materials, pay a technician to monitor, use gas anesthetics and still take home a paycheck... maybe if they do 20 surgeries a day in under 20 minutes?? If thats the case, then your surgeon is far better than me... but I'd certainly wonder about the rest of it.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:22 am

Price you pay for living in the middle of nowhere.

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:12 pm

My vet gives a discount if done before a year old. Having Lila spayed, microchipped, 3 skin scrapings and her ivermectin meds cost came to $172.00 .

Depending on her weight the spay was somewhere between $96-$112 itself.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:20 am

Gawd you guys need to move to Colorado... Hamlet Spay N Neuter charges by weight and i think it ran me 75 bucks to have my Greyhound mix done there and they handled him wonderfully even though he vomited a cheeseburger half way into the surgery.

Aubrey
Newborn Bully

Postby Aubrey » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:46 pm

I was told my my vet that the laser procedure healed quicker than the normal. I think I paid between $100.00 and $150.00 for mine. They charged a bit more for a bigger dog, so Bruno's was cheaper than the others.

Return to “Health Issues”