Neutersol for geriatric dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Neutersol for geriatric dog?

Postby adoptanapbt » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:04 am

I thought I read a few years ago that neutersol was for whatever reason not being used in the US, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'm getting a 9-10 yr old male from Merced tomorrow, and while I know that's not out of the question for neutering, if the injectable neuter is available I'd like to spare him the risk of anesthesia. Of course, at that age, odds are he'll need a dental or some mass removal anyway, but just in case he can skip surgery... :thumbsup:

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:21 am

I think Neutersol is not 100% effective, or at least it doesn't eliminate the production of testosterone, and was only for puppies? I don't think it's on the market anymore but have read rumors it may reappear in the next few years.

Merced is where Booker came from!

Good luck, I would definitely do bloodwork before the operation and also see if there's anything else that can be done at the same time, like teeth or masses or so on. I would ask Miss Kiwi on here since she is also a vet.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:48 am

Get a proper dental done if possible... weather he looks like he needs it or not.

80% of intact geriatric dogs who died of various causes were found to have testicular cancer upon necropsy as an incidental finding. 2 of the 3 types of testicular cancer are benign, but with cancer rates that high, I'd just get 'em removed.

Age is not a disease... have a thorough checkkup to make sure there aren't any real diseases that would change the anesthetic protocol.

Also, at his age, he's more than likely sterile or close to it... dogs lose their "potency" around 6-7 years of age so unless he's particularly fertile, making puppies isn't a huge concern.

adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby adoptanapbt » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:51 am

More than likely, he'll be done at UCD, where they always do a full workup before surgery. Ironically, the dogs have a better chance of getting chosen if they have something "extra" that needs to be done (like Taffy's foxtail abscess), so any masses/dental would be a good thing! lol

Return to “Health Issues”