Got Bella's blood test results.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bellabear
Forum Junky

Got Bella's blood test results.

Postby bellabear » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 pm

And the winner goes to weeds and trees. WTF :crybaby: Only two things showed up and they were slight. My vet encouraged me to get the skin scraping as well, because she thinks (and I agree) that there is no way that she is as bad as she is and only slighty allergic to those two things. So November 12th, I will go and fork over another $500, this is getting so aggrevating, but I feel like I have to do it. She is my responsiblity and I owe it to her to try everything to make her better. I just want this to end. :crybaby:

Kelli
Newborn Bully

Postby Kelli » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Bailey, one of our males is allergic to just about everything! The intial test, scraping and all of that was expensive. But the injections aren't that bad. Just glad he isn't miserable anymore! Good luck.

Robby321
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Robby321 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:47 pm

Aww poor bella I just found out that Icky is also allergic to grass so I have to keep her off of it.

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Kelli wrote:Bailey, one of our males is allergic to just about everything! The intial test, scraping and all of that was expensive. But the injections aren't that bad. Just glad he isn't miserable anymore! Good luck.

I am glad that he is better. I think her injections are going to be expensive also, the first set will be $175, and that will be 3 shots, and then it will be $150 for one shot, but not sure yet how often she will get them.

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Robby321 wrote:Aww poor bella I just found out that Icky is also allergic to grass so I have to keep her off of it.

How did you find out that Icky is allergic to grass? I thought for sure that one would show up, I also thought that coral dust would show up :dunno: How are you going to keep her off the grass? Where will she go potty? :) There is no way that I could keep Bella off the grass, I mean I guess I could if I had too, but I would feel so bad for her. I hope that Icky gets better.

Kelli
Newborn Bully

Postby Kelli » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:04 am

Hey Bellabear,

I know you asked Robby, but I think it depends on what kind of test you get run. We took Bailey to a dermatologist. He actually injected small amounts of particles directly under the skin that come from different trees, grass', dust and so on. Depending on how the skin reacts to it will determine the serious of the allergy if there is any. Atleast that's how he did it.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:13 am

The intradermal skin test is much more diagnostic than the blood tests.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:57 am

Roxers wrote:The intradermal skin test is much more diagnostic than the blood tests.

Unfortunately (and you know I fought accepting this) I do believe it's true. V.'s dermatologist said there are some blood tests/labs she will use that she does have faith in; but that is not her preference...and that nothing beats the skin scraping for accuracy. She described it in that you get an immediate response. Introduce potential allergen and immediately see response or lack thereof; whereas with any bloodtest the allergens have been "processed through their system" so it isn't quite as clear and clean a detection method. (Then of course you remember how I got taken for the $200 blood test from my regular vet; which yeilded a very pretty report and which the dermatologist said wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. :frown: )

Good luck with Bella; please let us know how you make out. I am especially interested as we will be having the same test in another couple of weeks; and I am rather nervous about it.

:hug: 's to you both.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:10 am

:hug:

I'm surprised that dust/storage mites didn't show up.

Let us know how things go.

Here's an extra one for your pocketbook-- I know how it feels. :hug:

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:06 am

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the well wishes, it is expensive and once I convince myself that we should spend the $ to do it, then I have to convince the boyfriend who thinks we might be getting taking advantage of. :frown: But I really dont feel that way, she told me that the blood test was not as accurate and we(me and my vet) both agreed that the blood test would be best for Bella so she wouldn't have to be off steroids or antihistamines for a while, but unfortunately things dont always go in our favor. So she as of now, she can have nothing to relieve her itching.

Jazzy: When is V's test, I think its right around the same time as Bella's. I have to drop her off and then pick her up, they wont let me stay, like I did with the blood test. And then she will be shaved :frown: I hope it grows back quick, I dont want her getting made fun of :))

So does the skin scraping work, like how mentioned above?? She will be injected with shots of stuff and see how her skin reacts to it.
This is the DR. who will do it, and this is what the skin test looks like, but I am not sure what else is going on in this pic. It kind of looks like that is what she is doing, injectiing this dog with something and then he gets red. :dunno:

http://www.vetsi.com/site/view/83669_NewPage34.pml

Dr. Rosales is Bella's vet too.

Thanks for the hugs too, they are well needed right now.

:hug: Back to you Jazzy, you are going through the same thing, I know how it feels.

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:55 am

I will post it when I get it, but I had the dr fax over her results to bf's work, and the # 1 thing she is allergic to was fleas :po: She didn't tell me this, so I am going to call her and make sure this is right. I have never seen a flea on her, she gets all her preventative stuff at the right time. But I think I still want to do the other test to make sure that we find out everything she allergic to. But I would rather her be allergic to fleas more than anything else. Also we just got the yard treated for ticks. The landlord found some on their dog, but I haven't found any on Bella. So hopefully that will help also. Ahhh, I dont know what to think anymore :frown:

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:47 pm

bellabear wrote:Jazzy: When is V's test, I think its right around the same time as Bella's. I have to drop her off and then pick her up, they wont let me stay, like I did with the blood test. And then she will be shaved :frown: I hope it grows back quick, I dont want her getting made fun of :))

V's test is November 13th. Unless I chicken out, Which I won't (but I can still fantasize like it might be an option).

I already took the day out of work. I hope I really can wait in the waiting room and that it will take 15 minutes like the vet tech told me...but I suspect she may not have the info correct. I do believe last year when I was considering this, they told me I had to drop her off around 8am and pick her up around 2pm. That will make me most unhappy. :frown:

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:18 pm

Jazzy wrote:
bellabear wrote:Jazzy: When is V's test, I think its right around the same time as Bella's. I have to drop her off and then pick her up, they wont let me stay, like I did with the blood test. And then she will be shaved :frown: I hope it grows back quick, I dont want her getting made fun of :))

V's test is November 13th. Unless I chicken out, Which I won't (but I can still fantasize like it might be an option).

I already took the day out of work. I hope I really can wait in the waiting room and that it will take 15 minutes like the vet tech told me...but I suspect she may not have the info correct. I do believe last year when I was considering this, they told me I had to drop her off around 8am and pick her up around 2pm. That will make me most unhappy. :frown:

I think they may have misinformed you, unless they do it different there. I have to drop off Bella at 10, they will prep her, give her the sedation meds, wait about 1/2 hr, then shave her and do the test, they said I could pick her up after 3.

Okay, so now I have the paper in front of me. Here is how it works:

#0-39 = negative (scores in this range indicate that no circulating allergen specifically was detected for the allergens tested.

#40-59= positve ( scores in this range should be considered significant if the allergens are found in the pest enviroment and they relate to the clinical history.

#60 and above=+++(scores in this range are considered significant. Immunotherapy for these allergens should be considered if they are found in the pets enviroment and the repsonse relates to the clinical history.

This is what the test says

Score=50 for English plantain(weeds)
Score=47 for Goidenrod (weeds)

Score =46 for Acacia(tree)
Score=43 for Mango Blossom (tree)

Score=55 for fleas
Score=42 for Mite D.pteronyssinus which is house mites.

There are alot more on there, but they are very low #'s.

So that is alot I think to be allergic to, but none of them go over 60, which I think is good, so we will see what the skin testing shows. As of now, I am not sure that shots are our best option, if she is only slightly allergic to them. I dont know though, I keep flip-flopping.

Good luck Jazzy with V. on the 13th, you can do it, you have to do it for her. We cant let our babies be miserable. She will thank you in the long run.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:08 pm

They have to sedate dogs for the intradermal test because it's so itchy and not many dogs would sit still to be poked that many times and then sit while it gets all itchy.

It's the same as the skin test they do for allergies for people.. I had it done on my back when I was younger. They put a bit of allergen just under the skin, and a reaction (swelling, redness) indicates that you are allergic to it. They put dots on there so they know where the injected the allergens.

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks, I figured that is how, but then when people asked me at work, I wasn't sure and I wanted to know without bugging my vet, I do that enough already.

Return to “Health Issues”