Drinking and Peeing

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
damienApbt

Drinking and Peeing

Postby damienApbt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Well Rod drinks tons. And he pees for like 2 minutes! sometimes he fills himself up so much he cant hold it. That is rare but last night he decided to let go in the kitchen. And even after that he still had a lengthy pee outside.
On the other hand Olive worries me with how little she drinks. She still has no problems peeing. She sneaks into Rods crate or in the bathroom to pee on the floor. Drives me nuts

Should I be worried about Rod?

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:55 pm

You might get him checked out.... and, in the meantime control access to water.

Betty is a guzzler. It bugs me. I yell at her mid-guzzle to QUIT GUZZLING and she will :) She never pees because of it though... Kitty and Trixie OTOH, don't drink a lot at all.

BaltimoreBully
Adolescent Bully

Postby BaltimoreBully » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:09 pm

How old is Rod? It's probably a good idea to have a UA done at the least and maybe bloodwork depending on his age. Excessive thirst and excessive urination could be signs of a medical issue. Do you normally restrict access to water? Dogs that do not have free access to water most of the time tend to guzzle it when available and then in turn pee alot right away

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:10 pm

maggie drinks like a fish.

it startles people to see how long she pees for. they always think she's just "pretend peeing" but no, she just drinks a lot and pees a lot.

she's had all sorts of urinalysis done recently (after her episode with the raisins...) and everything came back clear. i guess she just likes to drink. don't we all?

if we come in from a run and she starts chugging too much, i'll tell her "that's enough" and she'll stop. i think she just starts drinking and forgets to stop! lol

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:59 pm

I would get him checked out, especially if this is a recent development. Polyuria (excess urination) and polydipsia (excess drinking) are symptoms of a few different endocrine disorders, and can also indicate problems with the kidneys. Until you figure out what's going on, DON'T restrict his access to water. If there is a problem, his body is trying to dilute out his urine, and preventing him from drinking as much as he feels he needs can damage his kidneys or cause him to get dehydrated.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Roxers wrote:I would get him checked out, especially if this is a recent development. Polyuria (excess urination) and polydipsia (excess drinking) are symptoms of a few different endocrine disorders, and can also indicate problems with the kidneys. Until you figure out what's going on, DON'T restrict his access to water. If there is a problem, his body is trying to dilute out his urine, and preventing him from drinking as much as he feels he needs can damage his kidneys or cause him to get dehydrated.

well he's on and off with the excesive drinking, but he always pees forever. He's due up for another vet visit since his hematoma is coming back again. I'll ask then. Thanks guys. I'll be a little more aggressive to limit his drinking. Its always out, mostly because I want to make sure Olive is drinking but if its there, he'll drink it.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:02 pm

No, no.. Don't limit his drinking! If there is a physiologic reason why he is drinking so much, the worst thing you can do is limit his access... because that will damage his kidneys or make him dehydrated, depending on what is causing it. The only reason you'd limit water is if it's a psychogenic problem, but you can only reach that conclusion once you've ruled everything else out (diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, Cushing's, renal failure, etc)

Return to “Health Issues”