Eve is limping. Suggestions?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Eve is limping. Suggestions?

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:32 pm

Well Eve hurt a toe about 1 year ago and was off of activity for a while. She has not had any symptoms since and runs and plays fine. About 2-3wks ago she was playing (running around) w/ our new foster boy and came up limping on her right front leg (same side as hurt toe a year ago). She also had an abscess from getting poked with stick in a slue about 4months prior. It was cut and drained and antibiotics were given. No lasting effects from it also.

She limps pretty good sometime like dropping her shoulder sort of movement but other times you don't notice it. She will run around crazy and play fetch and chase hard w/ NO noticeable symptoms. Sometimes on walks she will limp and other times no. Most of the time you see a little limp but not huge. She never lifts her paw like it is her foot looks more like a shoulder thing.

I have palpated everything with no dispute from her. I can grab the toe and twist and pinch w/ no dispute either. There is no noticable muscle deformation either.

Sometimes I think it seems like it is worse when she gets up from sleeping and seems that it is less noticeable after she has been up and walking for a while.

Is this muscle? How should I treat this? She is high energy so it might be hard to limit activity.

Lunchbucket

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:57 pm

have you thought about getting x-rays done?

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Maybe she is developing a bit of arthritis from the old injury or it could just be soft tissue damage. Probably best to get it checked out.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:13 pm

They did on the toe about 3 months ago when we went in for the toe. It showed some extra growth on it but she didn't think it was anything big. She just wondering if or when it would develop arthritis.

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:16 pm

Sorry they did an X-ray 3 months ago when I went in.

Talked to the vet today and she suggested limit activity keep feeding the cosiquin and see what happens in two weeks. Then call if not better

She said something about if it developes arthritis and gets too painful they might have to take the toe off :wow That is a weight bearing too too she said. Anyone have this done before?

Lunchbucket

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 pm

Franny is currently on x-en rest for a toe-based limp. We've increased her joint supplement to 1,500 mg per day and she's getting anti-inflammitories.

I would suggest strict rest and supplementation before I talked about toe amputation.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:19 am

Lunchbucket wrote:Sorry they did an X-ray 3 months ago when I went in.

Talked to the vet today and she suggested limit activity keep feeding the cosiquin and see what happens in two weeks. Then call if not better

She said something about if it developes arthritis and gets too painful they might have to take the toe off :wow That is a weight bearing too too she said. Anyone have this done before?

Lunchbucket

I had a dog lose 4 toes in his life time. He would cut them very easily on practically anything outside and they just literally would not heal. This dog would get an infection and move through 5 or 6 antibiotics that didn't work. I don't think his immune system was right. After the 2nd toe, the vet just started amputating them when they got injured and the would got infected. I would change dressings constantly, everytime he came in from going outside, etc... Nothing helped.

He never showed any problems after having the toes amputated. He redirected weight to other toes. You'd never have known until you looked at his feet.

BaltimoreBully
Adolescent Bully

Postby BaltimoreBully » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:14 pm

From the way you described her limp as "dropping her shoulder" I would be thinking about pain higher up then the toe. Did the vet palpate the elbow and shoulder? I would definitely try the cosequin but remember it can take up to 6-8 weeks for it to really have an effect. If

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:44 pm

BaltimoreBully wrote:From the way you described her limp as "dropping her shoulder" I would be thinking about pain higher up then the toe. Did the vet palpate the elbow and shoulder? I would definitely try the cosequin but remember it can take up to 6-8 weeks for it to really have an effect. If

Exactly why I didn't think it was a toe. Also, the vet said the same thing about cosequin and that is why she wanted me to wait longer. it has been maybe 4weeks or so since she's on it.

I'll keep trying to limit her activity but it is hard since she love flying down the stairs and skipping the last couple and jumping to the bottom. Also, we walk usually 1.5hrs/day. Lately we have been doing about 20min about noon and 30 or so at night just to keep her moving but not too much. I'll keep her from running in the backyard for a while.

Yes she did palpate the elbow and shoulder at that time but at that time she was limping VERY VERY VERY little....not even noticeable to anyone but the people that know her.

How long is a good time to suggest for rest? 2wks?

Franster - What is your strict rest?

buckaroo - That is crazy about cutting the toes.

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 pm

Anyone think this could be Pano? It comes and goes. Some days are great and some days she will limp after getting up? She's been very limited on activity and doesn't seem to be bothered much by zoomies outside like she used to? We have done SAR practice and some agility yesterday and no limping?

She will be 2 on Jan 20th so she'd be in the right age range of Pano

Lunchbucket

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:55 pm

I think I'd want x-rays of the whole foreleg/shoulder if she doesn't improve after the rest.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:59 pm

She doesn't limp really rough like she used to so it has gotten better. Only a very slight dip if you watch her closely sometimes....only sometimes. Wonder why the vet didn't do a whole X-ray of the shoulder and leg? She couldn't make it worse w/ manipulation so maybe that is why?

Think I should call her and get an full X-ray even though we have considerable improvement? Or should I test the leg by letting her run zoomies a lot like I used to and then see if she limps bad?

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 pm

No one can figure out why she is limping? Called vet and she wants videos so here they are. We have NOT had an x-ray...she didn't say much when i suggested it. Saw a chiropractor that things it is a sprained ankle so she doesn't have as much flexability in the joint.

Can anyone tell from this video?

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i213.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid213.photobucket.com/albums/cc230/happy5869/MVI_7012.flv">

THANK YOU
Lunchbucket

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:10 am

If it were me I would ask that they do an xray. You've had her on rest, medications so I would think if it was a sprained ankle you would have seen some improvement. Poor Eve, I hope they find out what is going on.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:37 am

Xray is the only way you are going to be able to tell anything. It looks like a faint limp due to arthritis in the elbow (maybe from overcompensating when the toe was injured?). Either way an Xray is the only way you are going to be able to tell...

Return to “Health Issues”