What's your choice of treats?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:18 pm

It's been a few recent threads about how important your choice of kibble or b.a.r.f is. What about treats? Are they just as important or do they not have as many bad ingredients in them?
Either way:

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:30 pm

I don't do tons of treats but they get peanut butter in their kongs, buddy biscuits in various flavors and bully sticks for a high value treat. I need to branch out and find some good ones, I don't like ones full of sugar or corn which cancels out pretty much everything sold locally.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:33 pm

I use the higher quality dog foods as treats, and Charlee Bear. I do check the ingredients, and get the healthiest ones I can, with the fewest ingredients and the most natural/meat based ones I can find.

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:52 pm

GoingPostal wrote:I don't do tons of treats but they get peanut butter in their kongs, buddy biscuits in various flavors and bully sticks for a high value treat. I need to branch out and find some good ones, I don't like ones full of sugar or corn which cancels out pretty much everything sold locally.

How do them kongs work? Are they messy, do they spill on the floor and stuff? And is peanut butter good for them or just not bad?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:52 pm

Bil-Jac and carrots. Soleil has an easily upset stomach, she can't handle a lot of treats I would use.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:00 pm

I use mostly "people" food for training treats:

chicken
turkey dogs (low fat)
homemade tuna treats
low fat mozzarrella & other cheeses
pork roast

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:25 pm

We get Wellness treats, and a store near us that makes their own treats.
Seeing as treats should be a small part of their diet I dont mind compromising somewhat on the ingredients, that being said I make sure not to get crap treats but Im a little more lax on them then kibble.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Cheese and Benny Bully's treats.........and the occasional mango or pear lol

Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red Brindle » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:42 pm

Huckabee gets a grain free diet so we make sure to keep that up with her treats. She loves her kibble so we just use that (Orijen) when we train in the house, but when we go outside we use a variety of grain free treats which get her attention much better. I like the Plato Duck Strips because they are easy to rip little pieces off of. Dried liver treats seem to work pretty well. Hotdog is a good one as well though it is slimy.

We mix her kibble with wet Evo and put that in her kong as a special treat when we crate her in the morning. She hops with excitement and runs in. I measured it out and the kong can hold about 1/8 of a cup of whatever you put in it. It is the second from largest size. She loves peanut butter but I figure that the evo is better for her.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:02 pm

The only treats we use are either homemade beef treats or the NOW! grain free Duck and Turkey treats. The dogs go nuts over those!

atomicjade
Super Bully

Postby atomicjade » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:22 am

My pup will eat basically anything. I do have the standard Meaty Bones but I try to give her a large majority of healthier snacks.. I give her tid bits of bananas, lettuce, onions (ARE these good for dogs? She likes them.) and my favorite, the cheapest and lowest calorie intake and one of her favorites.. ice cubes!

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:28 am

maggie will eat dam near anything but when we're in class, the treats i use are:
-duck jerky from costco (aka doggy crack!)
-mozzarella cheese sticks
-dehydrated beef liver
-dehydrated chicken
-long grass (seriously, she'll do ANYTHING for grass lol )

other than that, she gets bully sticks, texas toothpicks (dehydrated pig tails), wishbones (dehydrated tendons), and the occasional fresh baked wheat free cookie from the doggy bakery.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:56 am

I keep cubed frozen chicken on hand at all times for my girls, they love it, as for high value special goodies they adore those dried cow snouts... yeah i know they're not the greatest food value munchy but the bouncing oh boy dance is hard to resist

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:18 am

Rod loves apples. And whatever Rod loves Olive loves.

louie
Adolescent Bully

Postby louie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:52 am

At home, I use kibble for treats but for class or environments with a lot of distraction, I use boiled beef heart.

Return to “Health Issues”