What's your choice of treats?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:46 pm

I give fresh fruits and veggies, and I usually keep Wet Noses treats on hand... my dogs go crazy for them, and they're healthier than most commercial treats. No preservatives, no corn (which Riley is sensitive to), just basic natural ingredients.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:12 pm

Right now she's got a big bag of pigs ears and she loves them. I don't like using treats for training I do play rewards. But when she was a puppy and just learning she would do anything for a piece of cheese. I still treat her occasionally with a piece of sliced cheese. I just rip it into smaller pieces. She also loves these little bones we get at the pet store. They are made by bill jack and a penny a piece. I usually get about 60 or so in a bag and keep them on hand for when I want to give her a few. I generally still read the ingredients on treats and try to use the same guidelines as I would with kibble. Oh yeah her favorite though are Zen Puppy treats. We've gotten her those a couple times. I just don't like spending a lot of money on treats.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:55 pm

for training treats i use natural balance rolls cut up into little tiny pieces. i get the sample size ones, usually. hot dogs, chicken, cheese, frozen meatballs. for lower distraction training, cat kibble or even their regular kibble.

mushroom will SELL HIS SOUL for milkbones, so i do give them. i break them into pieces and use them for high distraction training or for jackpots.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:20 pm

Cooked chicken. I only eat the skinless boneless breast but when the other goes on sale like whole fryers, drumsticks & thighs for 57 cents/lb like they did this last week, I stock up for Shady dog.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:25 pm

Old Mother Hubbard biscuits and also their liver meaty bits for training/walks. I've gotten the moist Zuke's treats before too, and they liked those. They get fresh veggies and fruits too. It is sort of funny to see orange bits in their poop from the carrots. They get peanut butter in their kongs too, and I make some homemade treats for them sometimes.
Jen

Ninjakel
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ninjakel » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:57 pm

cheese
Biljack liver treats
apples
bananas
blue dog bakery mollases cookies

and of course the bully sticks and pig snouts, but those aren't all the time

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:18 am

Soooo...... I decided to start giving Ruger some carrots as treats sometimes instead of just the Pedigree ones I have, until I find another brand. Man that was the worse night I've had since I've owned a dog!!! He pooped back to back to back, gave me a hour then pooped again and again. He went to sleep, woke up this morning and pooped twice more. All runny shoot out everywhere diarrhea nasty poop. It was crazy, I was losing my mind because when I say they was back to back I would clean up the mess, take the bag outside to the thrash cans and I'll come back up stairs to another pile. Luckily 6 of the 7 times was on the newspaper I leave down for him to pee on because he only has the pooping outside thing down packed, he hasn't pooped in the house in about a month. Guess he just couldn't hold it. The bad part was that he stepped in it almost every time and tracked it all around the carpet, except for the last time he went right in the middle of the floor. It's crazy because that was the first thing I've gave him other than his kibble and dog treats. He does seem okay though, he's still acting like normal. Just pooping crazy!!!
SORRY FOR THE EXTRA EXTRA LONG POST, JUST HAD TO SHARE MY STORE. DON'T THINK HE'LL BE GETTING ANYMORE OF THOSE ORGANIC BABY CARROTS!!!

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:49 am

Not that long now that I'm on the computer, looked long on my phone. Y didnt any one tell me this was gonna happen though!!!!!!!! :crybaby:

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:43 am

Maybe he's just too young. Maybe his digestive system is not advanced enough for that yet? What yall think?

Aubrey
Newborn Bully

Postby Aubrey » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:06 pm

I have been making my own treats. I found a great and easy recipe for a tuna dog treat and a peanut butter dog treat. Only took me a couple minutes to make and then bake in the oven. They love them, and they were cheap to make!

Also, dried bananas and apricots, they go crazy over those. Small pieces of cheese and other veggies are also regulars.

EagleEye
Newborn Bully

Postby EagleEye » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Ruger, sorry to hear of your pup's digestive problem. How many carrots did you feed? Ruger's system probably wasn't used to the fiber.

A couple of years ago, I cooked up some beef heart for my boy Stockey (RIP) and used them in OB class. He had the same reaction...really bad squirts. I think it was the sudden change.

For Amp, I use Wellness Pure Rewards or Nature's Recipe treats. She also likes Artemis Lamb Roll cut up in tiny pieces. For some reason, Zuke's treats don't appeal to her.

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 pm

EagleEye wrote:Ruger, sorry to hear of your pup's digestive problem. How many carrots did you feed? Ruger's system probably wasn't used to the fiber.

A couple of years ago, I cooked up some beef heart for my boy Stockey (RIP) and used them in OB class. He had the same reaction...really bad squirts. I think it was the sudden change.

For Amp, I use Wellness Pure Rewards or Nature's Recipe treats. She also likes Artemis Lamb Roll cut up in tiny pieces. For some reason, Zuke's treats don't appeal to her.

2 tiny little baby carrots, but yeah it was probably the fiber. Whatever it was, it was bad!!! I'm gonna look into them 2 thoguh, I wanna switch from these pedigree treats.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:10 am

Hershey gets Trader Joe's brand doggy treats. All natural-peanut butter flavor!

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:57 am

For high value treats, I go buy a container of chicken livers. I soak them in milk over night (in the fridge so nothing goes bad). Then I rinse them off in cold water for a few minutes. I pat them dry and spread them out on a sheet pan and I put that in the oven set really low (200) and I let them dry out. The amount of time it takes varies. I just check them every 30 minutes. After about two hours, I cut one in half. If it's still raw, I leave it in for another hour. If it's kinda pink, 30 more minutes. If it's grey, I take them out. I let them cool and then cut them into small bits, throw them in a ziplock bag labeled "DOG TREATS" and keep them in the fridge. I have to label them. The first time I made some and didn't label the bag, my daughter ate half of them.. she thought they were baby jerky.

He also loves cheese, but too much gives him tummy problems.
Dried watermellon slices
Kibble (natural balance - grain free)
Kibble & PB balls, frozen (I use a melon baller, fill it with PB, push in some kibble, put them on parchment paper and freeze. Then I quarter them.)
Red meat proteins give him hives/itchies so I can't attest to those things.

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:56 pm

Just a bump

Return to “Health Issues”