Itchy.. Pimples? .. Redness? Allergies?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lua
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Itchy.. Pimples? .. Redness? Allergies?

Postby Lua » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:06 pm

My seven month old female APBT puppy, Lua, has some pimples and redness around her neck. She does have fleas, but I don't think this is the cause..

No hair/fur is covering/growing from them. These aren't hives. They are on her throat and either side of her neck, but not anywhere else. She scratches her neck quite a bit and the hair there has always been fairly thin - not excessively or noticeably, only when she scratches it and you can see the redness.

I use a prong collar on her (properly fitted) for walks only, and a nylon collar otherwise. I've heard of pibbles having allergies to prongs (??), but why the pimples? There aren't too many of them, maybe 3-4 on each side of her neck.

She is on Innova (adult). When I was reading other topics about allergies, someone said that they don't develop allergies until a year or so? Can anyone confirm that?

I am going to talk to my vet about this when I go and get her flea meds, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas about it since that wont be for a bit as I am short on cash.

I cannot get pictures because my camera broke recently, but I'd love any information or pictures for comparison you have to offer.

Thanks!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Could be a staph infection, secondary to a flea bite reaction? Do they seem to have pus in them? Scabbing over at all? How big are they?

Lua
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Lua » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Allie wrote:Could be a staph infection, secondary to a flea bite reaction? Do they seem to have pus in them? Scabbing over at all? How big are they?

The bumps/'pimples' don't have white heads or anything, so I don't think they would have pus in them. They are pink.
Around two months ago I squeezed one (one closer to her shoulder) and white pus came out but the other ones don't do that, and I just leave them alone.
That one (that popped) is still there, it's the only one with a tiny bit of a scab and I can feel it under the skin, but I can't feel the other ones under the skin. None of them have gone away, either.

The only time she gets a rash is when she scratches it. She chews herself (legs/body) and drags her bum sometimes as well and her skin will go pink for a while because of it. She's scratching right now. :frown:

My Chihuahua, Stella, doesn't have this.

They are pretty much the size of this:
Not bigger..

I feel so bad not being able to get her meds sooner. :crybaby:

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:07 pm

Basil used to get those on the under side of his neck in the spring/summer. Though it was a bit disturbing to feel these lumps under the skin, neither of the vets I spoke to about them were very concerned and felt it was fine to let them resolve on their own, which they always would by the end of the summer and/or if I could keep him off grass for long enough.

Strangely, and this may or may not be a coincidence, he stopped getting them when he was switched to a homemade diet, though I'm very certain they were related to a seasonal/environmental allergy. Perhaps it was a matter of his immune system strengthening :dunno:

Lua
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Lua » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:16 pm

pitgrrl wrote:Basil used to get those on the under side of his neck in the spring/summer. Though it was a bit disturbing to feel these lumps under the skin, neither of the vets I spoke to about them were very concerned and felt it was fine to let them resolve on their own, which they always would by the end of the summer and/or if I could keep him off grass for long enough.

Strangely, and this may or may not be a coincidence, he stopped getting them when he was switched to a homemade diet, though I'm very certain they were related to a seasonal/environmental allergy. Perhaps it was a matter of his immune system strengthening :dunno:

They don't seem to be seasonal though, she's had them since the end from summer til now.. (And it's cold and rainy now)
When she was 4 months she had a fat deposit under the skin but those are harmless and it went away quickly. I can't seem to find anything about this on google, either.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 pm

Lua wrote:
They don't seem to be seasonal though, she's had them since the end from summer til now.. (And it's cold and rainy now)
When she was 4 months she had a fat deposit under the skin but those are harmless and it went away quickly. I can't seem to find anything about this on google, either.

Did you try giving Benadryl? Or putting some hydrocortisone cream on it?

Lua
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Lua » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:36 pm

jlphilli wrote:
Lua wrote:

Did you try giving Benadryl? Or putting some hydrocortisone cream on it?

Nope. I have heard of people using Benadryl, but I didn't want to try something before I knew what the bumps actually were. Are there any negative affects of using Benadryl if that's not what she ends up needing?

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:05 pm

No, it's perfectly safe. The worst thing that will happen is she will be really sleepy. You can give 1mg per 1 lb of body weight. They usually come in 25mg tabs, so if your dog is 50lbs you can give two tablets every 12 hours. I would try this for at least 2 days while making sure you walk her on a harness or something so nothing touches her neck (especially no collar).

It may also be a good idea to wash it with some antibacterial soap (like dial or something) and make sure it stays dry. If you have some 1% hydrocortisone cream (without lidocaine!) you can put a THIN layer of that on the area just once. This will help relieve any topical itching/irritation and help reduce the swelling.

If none of the above works, then def. make a vet appt. I have used the above for my dog per vet recommendation when she got a random rash.

Lua
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Lua » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:18 pm

jlphilli wrote:No, it's perfectly safe. The worst thing that will happen is she will be really sleepy. You can give 1mg per 1 lb of body weight. They usually come in 25mg tabs, so if your dog is 50lbs you can give two tablets every 12 hours. I would try this for at least 2 days while making sure you walk her on a harness or something so nothing touches her neck (especially no collar).

It may also be a good idea to wash it with some antibacterial soap (like dial or something) and make sure it stays dry. If you have some 1% hydrocortisone cream (without lidocaine!) you can put a THIN layer of that on the area just once. This will help relieve any topical itching/irritation and help reduce the swelling.

If none of the above works, then def. make a vet appt. I have used the above for my dog per vet recommendation when she got a random rash.

Thanks for all the info! I'll see if I can pick some up tomorrow. I have no idea about hydrocortisone cream. Should I go to a pharmacy/shoppers drug mart or would this stuff be at Wal-Mart?

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Lua wrote:
jlphilli wrote:No, it's perfectly safe. The worst thing that will happen is she will be really sleepy. You can give 1mg per 1 lb of body weight. They usually come in 25mg tabs, so if your dog is 50lbs you can give two tablets every 12 hours. I would try this for at least 2 days while making sure you walk her on a harness or something so nothing touches her neck (especially no collar).

Thanks for all the info! I'll see if I can pick some up tomorrow. I have no idea about hydrocortisone cream. Should I go to a pharmacy/shoppers drug mart or would this stuff be at Wal-Mart?

No problem :) You can find it at Wal-mart. Just make sure it doesn't have lidocaine in it (not the best if ingested).

Lua
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Lua » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:30 pm

jlphilli wrote:
Lua wrote:

No problem :) You can find it at Wal-mart. Just make sure it doesn't have lidocaine in it (not the best if ingested).

OK, I'll make sure I read through the ingredients. :))

Thanks everybody, I'll post about the progress (or lack of).

nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby nygemma » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:13 am

I brought Cesar to the vet after reading on PBF about staph infections.
I didn't know they could end up needing antibiotics...
He's been itching all summer, he gets allergic to flea bites.
He had some allapacia, hair loss, and then I did see some pimples.
She took a scraping for mange, negative.
She prescribed a few days of prednisone and about 20 days of antibiotics.
She told me I could give him benydryl in the future.
AND I still have Antibiotic scrip shampoo, gotta give him another bath.
Poor guy, I can't wait till his coat looks normal again..

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:07 am

When Venus was an adolecence dog, she got what the vet termed ''pustuals'' in the same area around her neck. It was so long ago, I don't remember him even giving me anything for it. I think he just chalked it up to something similar as the adolecence chin zits. lol They did eventually go away and never came back. :dunno:

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Molly gets chin zits during the summer.

Vet told me I could wipe her chin with alcohol daily and it should take care of them, but I didn't think drying her skin out would be better than just leaving them there.

She used to scratch a lot and would sometimes catch her lip/gums and cut them. If they come back I might try the alcohol.

I'd definitely try the benedryl in this case, but maybe she's just being adolescent :)

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:59 am

Another option is trying some hibitaine. The vet has recommended that over the years as well for different skin issues. :dunno:

Return to “Health Issues”