Show me dem cropped ears :)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
haileyBug
Matured Bully

Show me dem cropped ears :)

Postby haileyBug » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:40 am

We are getting mr. tubbs' ears cropped on Wednesday. The vet is very skilled with a laser and showed us pictures of during after and weeks after the surgery and explained all about after care and healing and pain management. He will also be neutered at this time and have his shots updated and finished.

I know some people on here are against ear cropping and I respect that. I ask you to respect our decision as well and simply post pictures of crops you have had done or crops you like. Please save the discussion/debate/fights for the other thread. I'm not trying to add to the drama on here i just want to make the best choice for my guy.

thats what im leaning twards now... not too much off, but enough where they will stand up. I HATE( no offence) the devil horns look and the totally gone ear- thats just not fair!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:25 pm

here is one thread with pics:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... op&start=0

i believe there was a thread with a ton of pics just cant remember where it is.. maybe do a search? :P

bluestark
BANNED

Postby bluestark » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:02 pm

Dozer's clippings:

His are fighter cut, or that is what the vet called them. I wanted them a little shorter but that is as short as our vet would go. How much is it going to cost you just for ears? Since you live pretty close to us, our vet only charges 125$ that includes being put to sleep and over-night stay. Very good work he does also. Would request him to anyone!

trueraiderfan
Adolescent Bully

Postby trueraiderfan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:41 pm

125! holy crap thats cheap!

PigDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PigDog » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:50 pm

I've always been a fan of cropped ears on certain dogs.

In the circles I USED to run in, a "fighting crop" was much shorter than Dozer's. It left nothing but an earhole, really.

I prefer the size Dozer's got, personally.

Mario

Jr.
Newborn Bully

Postby Jr. » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:07 pm

sweet!! I love the look of cropped ears.

bluestark
BANNED

Postby bluestark » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Yes that is very cheap, and as you see, he does an outstanding job. I have not seen one pittie come out of his office that doesnt have gorgeous ears, the way the owner wanted. Although i did want his ears shorter, now i see why Dr. Berry didn't cut them shorter. I love his ears. When he gets mad the touch on top of his head (makes a perfect triangle on his head). I have referred a many people to our vet and of course when i do, i get helped out too. lol our vet is animal friendly as well as the staff. Dr. Berry is no ordinary vet though. He is a country man that also deals with horses, cows, and anything else you wanna bring on in. Lol, and for the record any vet that charges an arm and a leg, isn't a vet to me. nuff said.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:40 pm

The shortest crop is called a "Battle crop"
Is it the medium that's the show crop or is it the long?

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:52 pm

Havoc has a medium crop, I prefer them medium with little to no bell depending on the dog's head shape. I think his fit him perfectly.

I paid $320 for his, but that was including his rabies and tag, so maybe around $270..I don't think that's too much, it's actually pretty average. I think ear cropping is an art form and that not every vet should be doing them. I took tons of photos with me, saw a bunch of hers, and saw several dogs in person that she has done. We also talked in the room about how it would look best for about 20 minutes. I'd rather pay more for quality service and care :)

Here's his, they look better in person though.

He's holding them to the sides kinda in this pic...

Jr.
Newborn Bully

Postby Jr. » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:49 pm

innocence621 wrote:

He's holding them to the sides kinda in this pic...

I like his size of cropped ears. I was thinking of getting Kaden's ear's cropped and that's exactly the way I would want his to look.

haileyBug
Matured Bully

Postby haileyBug » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks for the replies- does anyone disagree that he has the right type of head for a crop? I think it will look great!

oh and our vet said:

The ear trim, pain medication, mandatory flea tablet, and antibiotics will be right around $185. The additional recommendations including preanesthetic bloodwork, preanesthetic ekg and post operative laser treatment which aids in pain reduction and faster healing time. These additions will bring you up to 285.00 plus 50.00 for the shots ( 5 in 1 , kennel cough, and rabies) and 80.00 for the neuter .

So im walking away with a 'done' dog for $415.00.

i felt that was a good deal... maybe its not?

bluestark
BANNED

Postby bluestark » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:36 pm

ok this might sound weird. but when we had Dozer's done he was right at 16 weeks. The vet asked how we wanted them, he got them done stayed over night, and we went and got him at 9 the next morning. No cone, no pain meds, nothing. They didn't bother him, he didn't whine. He didn't scratch, nothing. I think two weeks later we took him to get the stitches out, and then they sorda flopped for a while, and then we massaged them every night and poof they stood up. I honestly don't think taping them or coning them, or pain medication is necessary. I may be wrong but Dozer was fine without any of that, and it didn't bother him a bit.

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:58 pm

Havoc came home with them wrapped in coflex, underneath there was this tray thing that they glued to ears to. The wrap came off after a couple days and the tray thing was taken off after a week (I think) and then at 10 days sutures were removed. We had to tape his twice and they stood fine ever since. He was sent home with antibiotics and pain meds, I think they are very necessary whether the dog shows discomfort or not. These dogs are stoic, they won't let you know it hurts...but you know it's gotta!

haileyBug
Matured Bully

Postby haileyBug » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:00 am

i think we will medicate him regardless. . . i know when i got stitches in my wrist they were tender and sore for a few days, plus every time they got pulled ( by moving arm muscles etc) they would hurt as well. . . ears are connected to his very expressive head so I'd assume that he's going to be sore.

It includes a post op of 3 days bandage and cone change so chances are even with a shorter cut i will still have him taped up for that couple of days . . .

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:56 am

haileyBug wrote:Mr Tub a bub is getting his ears cropped and getting his neuter on wedensday. I was looking for pictures and oppinions on what style to get. I think i like the shorter, pointier style- but not the 'devil horns' . What do you all think?

Please keep your dont crop his ears comments to yourselves as I do not really want to start a huge discussion- there's another thread for that. Yes its mostly cosmetic but I hope that it will help with his ear gunkies too, he doesnt hold them up at all to ventilate them and they stink. No mites and yes i take him to the vet regularly to check. She thinks its yeastie build up from lack of air and moisture. Either way- its happening.

And I am planning on using pain meds and I am a stay at home mom so he will get lots of attention and loving on and not just stuck in his crate for 8 hours while he heals.

that said- let the pictures begin!

heres tubbs, and what I'm leaning for...

Return to “Health Issues”