Any ideas anyone?? I am desperate......

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Any ideas anyone?? I am desperate......

Postby AkainePSP » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:20 pm

I am desperate for some help. Lila was spayed on Halloween, she had complications from the surgery and from what I understand was bleeding. So she was taken into surgery again the following morning and from what I could understand the vet had to reroute an artery. Lila went in on a friday and was able to come hom the following Monday. She came home on clavamox & tramadol for pain. she is also on oral ivermectin for mange. She did not have a cone at this time. She seemed pretty good the first night and most of the next day, however when I got home from work I got her out of her crate and took her out to go potty and noticed she decided it was time for her staples to come out. So I called the vet who was closed and got the emergency service. They had my vet call me back and he had me bring her in. He kept her overnight fixed her up in the morning and sent her home with a cone. She is very sad withthe collar but unless it is on she will not leave her belly alone. I also noticed her one ear had some crusty yuck in it so I have been cleaning it out daily and it looks a lot better. Up until yesterday she seemed pretty good.
She started licking her back paw. I can't find anything wrong with her foot but now she won't even walk on it. She's also sleeping a lot more than I think she should be. And maybe its normal I don't know, but shes only getting up to potty and eat and then she goes back to sleep. Last night was the first time she had a tramadol in 2 days. I've also been soaking her foot in epson salt this seems to ease the pain at least momentarily.

I called the vet and left a message on the answering machine for them to call me when they get in in the morning.

But I'm wondering is she licking because she is in pain? Is she licking because of the collar? Is it causing her to much stress? Could this be caused from the mange? She was licking and itching so bad this morning I gave her some benadryl to help ease the itchiness. I have looked at her foot her leg many times and I can't find any visable problems. She also chatters her teeth when she is realy itchy.

Any ideas on what I can do to make her comfortable until the vet calls me back? I'm sure we will be going there tomorrow.

Kelly

Marley44
Newborn Bully

Postby Marley44 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:00 pm

She could be licking because she has allergies... but it could be the mange. If it's itching her so bad she won't stand then she is probably raw.

Tramadol AND Benadryl will make them sleepy, don't worry. And benadryl took about 4 days to work in my apbt.

KEEP THE CONE ON :) She'll love you for it later.. when she doesn't take them out again.

I realize this is late, so you probably won't see it, but keep up the antihistamine and tramadol.. and give her lots of love :)

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:19 am

I have been giving her the tramadol, however we only have one left. Which she will be gettng here shortly. Vet will be calling very shortly. I hope its something as minor as irritation. She is limping worse today than she was last night.

Thanks for your help.

Kelly

haileyBug
Matured Bully

Postby haileyBug » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:17 am

I hope she is feeling better.

I alway err on the side of caution and talk to the vet but I'd talk to yours about the amount of medication she is receiving and the benadryl and everything else. Perhaps they will suggest something to feed incase they are upsetting her stomach.

I'd think that the licking was due to boredom / stress from the cone, but that in this situation is not enough cause to remove it :) she needs that so she doesnt self remove her staples again :)

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Shes only had 3 doses of tramadol and 2 doses of benadryl since this began. But I will definately talk to her about it when we get there our appointment was @ 3:30 but there was an emergency surgery.
so it was postponed until 5.

My sig other says she has slept most of the day as she has been doing a lot lately. Maybe thats good I don't know. I'm just a worried mom I guess.

I'll let you know what we find out this evening.

Kelly

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:47 pm

Shes only had 3 doses of tramadol and 2 doses of benadryl since this began. But I will definately talk to her about it when we get there our appointment was @ 3:30 but there was an emergency surgery.
so it was postponed until 5.

My sig other says she has slept most of the day as she has been doing a lot lately. Maybe thats good I don't know. I'm just a worried mom I guess.

I'll let you know what we find out this evening.

Kelly

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:39 pm

poor Lila has been having a rough time lately
I hope she will soon be well
Hang in there Kelly.(hug)

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Well we are back from the vet. There are no orthopedic problems or problems with the muscles. She does feel her foot was irritated by her chewing on it. Infact all of her feet were a little red. She thinks one of the reasons she was chewing on her feet is because she can't get to her belly and she just needs to lick and chew at something. She said her belly is probably itching badly and she just doesn't understand what is going on with her. She thinks its also possible that the mange may be bothering her a little bit as well.

So she is back on cephalexin 2 x's a day for 10 days.
She is to take tramadol 3 x's a day.
She is also to take benadryl 50mg 2 x's per day.

Cephalexin for the skin
Tramadol for the pain in her foot
Benadryl to help with the itch

Cone comes off and staples removed on Wed. 11/13. So for the most part this was an inexpensive visit considering most visits are about $100.00. This one was only $66 and 1/2 that was for meds. But it was worth it because now I feel better knowing whats wrong with her and knowing I was somewhat on the right track.

Now when she listened to her heart she wasn't sure but she thought she heard a murmur. When we go back wed. we are going to check this out more.

Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Kelly

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Scratch her belly all over for her. Scratch gently all around the incision as close as you can...she will appreciate it.

Did she have mange before she was spayed?

Carla

iluvmypits
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby iluvmypits » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Carla wrote:Scratch her belly all over for her. Scratch gently all around the incision as close as you can...she will appreciate it.

Did she have mange before she was spayed?

Carla

That is what I was thinking. If you scratch it for her everything may go away because she isn't thinking about it constantly. Good Luck

Return to “Health Issues”