Puppy Chow

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:41 am

lol that's okay - Pro Plan...well, you could do worse, and YES "Puppy Chow" is worse!
Most my experience is based on what I saw come out the other end of the dogs, when I fed it to them at the shelter :dunno:
And by it, I mean just about anything that was donated - Pro Plan was one I reserved for the sickly dogs who needed premium nutrition (am I forgiven now!?) :tongue:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:49 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
msvette2u wrote:
Well Purina is of the same quality of Walmarts food and in fact Maxximum from Walmart would be better...

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Msvette you know I love you, but on this we will disagree. There are three levels of Purina, and Pro Plan is a large step above the regular Purina. Ingredients are NOT everything, nutrient profiles are just as important, ESPECIALLY when it comes to puppies.

I happen to love pro plan and have fed it and will continue to use it and recommend it. The regular puppy chow is cheap crap... on that we agree.

Maybe you can point out the difference for me between regular purina and pro plan

both are large breed formulas

Normal:
Ingredients
Whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), barley, dried beet pulp, animal digest, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, fish oil, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, DL-Methionine, manganese proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
N-4035

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) 27.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 10.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 5.0%
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.9%
Iron (Fe) (Min) 150 mg/kg
Vitamin D (Min) 500 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)** (Min) 70 mg/kg
Docosahexaenoic Acid ** (DHA) (Min) 0.05%

and pro plan

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pea fiber, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), dried egg product, animal digest, calcium phosphate, fish oil, salt, potassium chloride, potassium citrate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
C-4447

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein (Min) 28.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 13.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 6.0%
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.6%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
Selenium (Se) (Min) 0.30 mg/kg
Vitamin A (Min) 15,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min) 100 IU/kg
Docosahexaenoic Acid* (DHA) (Min) 0.05%
Glucosamine*(Min) 500 ppm
Glutamine*(Min) 1.0%
Taurine* (Min) 0.05%

besides higher fat content I cant seem to figure out what is so better about it...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:57 am

Actually, for a large breed formula the regular is the better choice.

I fed it to my dogs for quite some period of time... Sheila doesn't look any better on her expensive holistic food... and lately she's had trouble keeping weight on... I'm probably going back since everyone seems to think Canidae has gone to crap... can't decide if its worth trying it or not.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Actually, for a large breed formula the regular is the better choice.

I fed it to my dogs for quite some period of time... Sheila doesn't look any better on her expensive holistic food... and lately she's had trouble keeping weight on... I'm probably going back since everyone seems to think Canidae has gone to crap... can't decide if its worth trying it or not.

thanks for the reply I couldnt figure out what I was missing LOL
I dont think Canidae has gone crap, I just think that some people didnt have any luck with the new formula.

bluepit26753
Newborn Bully

Postby bluepit26753 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:27 pm

ok well what about taste of the wild, i have my two other dogs on it, and it supposed to be an all life stages food......what you guys think about that?

bluepit26753
Newborn Bully

Postby bluepit26753 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:18 pm

bumpity bump on the TOW ?

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:02 pm

bluepit26753 wrote:bumpity bump on the TOW ?

Taste of the Wild is a great food. I fed it to my pack, including Shelby when she was a growing pup, and they all did great.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:02 pm

bluepit26753 wrote:ok well what about taste of the wild, i have my two other dogs on it, and it supposed to be an all life stages food......what you guys think about that?

Taste of the Wild ~ several higher-protein, lower-carb, grain-free formulas. No mention of human-grade ingredients, and this food is made by Diamond, so it's unlikely. Exotic proteins are used, but not exclusively, so most of these foods wouldn't be a good choice for a dog with food allergies (for example, the High Prairie Canine Formula contains both bison and venison, along with lamb, chicken eggs, fish and other ingredients), but might help a dog who has problems with grains. Remember too that it's a good idea to reserve at least some exotic proteins for future use in case needed for an elimination diet or to treat severe food allergies. This food appears to be better quality than other Diamond brand foods, but is not in the same league with other grain-free formulas
above info was taken from dogaware
:

texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby texturejunkie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:41 pm

Ruger wrote:I hear its best around 1 year or so. Since I'm feeding a all life stages kibble I don't think I'm gonna have to worry about that.

no no no no no!

ween them off that crap ASAP!

if ANY time in your dogs life you want a good nutritious food, its during the growth stage. this is the most important time to have adequate nutrition.

use a supplement like eagle pack holistic transitions or some yogurt with probiotics to help aid in switching foods as fast as possible. and educate yourself on the topic of dog digestion ..

dogs are not born with sensitive stomachs, that is just a convenient rumor that supports big business and shi**y foods

i switch my rescues cold turkey, not suggesting you should, but most of them do well despite the odds against them.

best of luck!

Return to “Health Issues”