Skin trouble. Input needed.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
johanns
Adolescent Bully

Postby johanns » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:25 am

My dog had major skin problems. finallly went to dermatologist. he took meds for awhile and now i have to religiously bathe him in antimicrobial shampoo once a week. and the shampoo has to be left on for at least 20 min. i also had to give him melatonin to stimulate his hair to grow back. my advice..go to dermatologist. good luck with your pup.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 am

I would definitely take a trip to the vet. They can do a cytology and skin scrape to find out what's going on with the skin and steer you in the right direction for treatment.

Ivermectin isn't labeled for dogs in the US either (except in Heartgard for heartworm prevention), so it is off label wherever you are, but veterinary medicine uses a lot of things off label, when there aren't alternatives available.

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:53 am

Update pics from today.
Am I wrong or is his skin less irritated? He is not as itchy today, but he is still itchy.

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:23 am

I've seen this before.

It might be the way we bathe our dogs.

We rub vigorously and go against the hair and every which way, right?

In SOME dogs that are sensitive, this motion seems to irritate the hair follicles and cause this reaction. Dogs that are prone to getting staph are more likely to do this.

I talked to a vet who has this breed and has also seen this happen. He said, that in dogs like this, don't do all that rubbing and scratching against the lay of the hair. Shampoo and rub and gently massage WITH the lay of the hair. Don't "scrub".

And rinse really well.

I'm not sure about vinegar on dogs...I think that could be irritating...

Carla

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:26 am

The bath sensitivity thing I've noticed starts about 36- 48 hours after bath in my experience.

Carla

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:39 am

So do you think this could be a staph infection, Carla? Or does he just need time to heal?
I get what you say with the rubbing. I've never had a problem with this before, but that in combination with human shampoo may have put him right over the edge. Poor nekkid thing! I feel horrible about it.

Oh, MalAcetic doesn't have vinegar in it as far as i know. It has Acetic Acids and Boric Acids (2%). Acetic Acid is an ingredient in vinegar, but is not vinegar itself. I'm not spraying him anymore though.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:10 pm

that is very much how Blitzen looked. I'm pretty sure I did scrub the heck out of her too, as Carla mentioned. The hair loss took longer, it was over the course of a month or so, but the final result looked very similar.

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Pineapples wrote:So do you think this could be a staph infection, Carla? Or does he just need time to heal?
I get what you say with the rubbing. I've never had a problem with this before, but that in combination with human shampoo may have put him right over the edge. Poor nekkid thing! I feel horrible about it.

Oh, MalAcetic doesn't have vinegar in it as far as i know. It has Acetic Acids and Boric Acids (2%). Acetic Acid is an ingredient in vinegar, but is not vinegar itself. I'm not spraying him anymore though.

No, I don't think it's staph, but related...dogs that tend to get staph/allergies seem to be the ones that react to bathing this way. The more recent pictures don't look so inflamed...

Vinegar has a pH of about 2.5 -- pretty low and irritating as it is acidic...
That shampoo says pH balanced, which would be closer to neutral or 7...

Carla

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:36 pm

Sorry, I see you didn't use actual vinegar....the other stuff IS pH balanced....

Carla

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks a lot for all your feedback. We're giving him over the weekend to see how much he improves. He is still itchy and loosing some fur, but he is better than he was so I'm trying to focus on that.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Pineapples wrote:Thanks a lot for all your feedback. We're giving him over the weekend to see how much he improves. He is still itchy and loosing some fur, but he is better than he was so I'm trying to focus on that.

It sounds like it may have been the spray.
He DOES look way better.
The hair loss will take a bit of time to stop and regrow.
Let's hope for continued improvement!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:51 pm

At this point, I'd advise to chill out. Stop washing the dog, stop putting stuff on the fur and give hima few days of benign neglect to let his body recover.

You may want to look at adding a heavier dose of Salmon Oil to his food to lubricate the skin and fur.

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Ok. We ended up taking him to the vet a few days after this thread died out as he wasn't getting any better.
Skin infection was diagnosed, and he was put on antibiotics and prednisone. He got a lot better from that of course, but it took him a long time to get rid of the infection this time. So he is still on both antibiotics and prednisone. Prednisone at 20 mg a day, tapered down from 40mgs. I tried to take him down to 10mgs but he got a lot worse from that so I upped it again.

I'm not happy about his state to be quite honest. He still gets hives even on prednisone, and he has some degree of hives pretty much all the time. His skin will flare up now on then, with the classic red bumps, and he is itchy.
He kind of smells like cheeze doodles.

He was put on antibiotics for a month and he has a few days left of it.
I should take him back to the vet, but I don't know what they are going to tell me now. Up the prednisone? Continue the antibiotics?
Opinions would be great. :)

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:34 am

I'm not a big fan of pred for long term usage. We have a dog with skin issues related to allergies. any attempts to treat her with salmon oil or kelp or anything yielded disastrous results. When she was on the pred the improvements waned after keeping her on for a while. we also have a dog right now that came to us with demodex and a bad skin infection. he's been a lot better on just clavamox and ivomec. not sure if that helps.

are you giving him any supplements? is his coat dry and coarse?

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:11 pm

antibiotics and pred is a little strange. steroids kill the immune system, making infections go wild. Which could be why it took so long for the infection to clear. I'd look into finding whats causing it rather than doing pred long term, there are so many side effects it's kinda scary.

Return to “Health Issues”