Tripe??? What are your thoughts on it

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ThompsonZ
Newborn Bully

Tripe??? What are your thoughts on it

Postby ThompsonZ » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi Well ive started Feeding my Dog Tripe. But i have come to realise there are no minerals and vitamins in it. He is 2 year old now, and was wondering for those who do feed their dogs tripe what do you add with it, or do you reccomend i dont feed it at all??

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 am

Are you feeding clean (human quality) tripe, or green tripe?

ThompsonZ
Newborn Bully

Postby ThompsonZ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:30 am

well seeing as i get it from the pet shop most likely it is green tripe

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:31 am

What makes you think there are no minerals or vitamins?

ThompsonZ
Newborn Bully

Postby ThompsonZ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:23 am

Because when my friend was feeding his puppy bulldog it. Its bone started getting deformed and apparently the cause of it was because it was just getting fed tripe had no vitamins etc to help his healthy growth.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:48 am

ThompsonZ wrote:Because when my friend was feeding his puppy bulldog it. Its bone started getting deformed and apparently the cause of it was because it was just getting fed tripe had no vitamins etc to help his healthy growth.

was he just feeding it tripe?

"There are many nutritional benefits from eating green tripe. It contains a very diverse profile of nutrients including enzymes, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, probiotics, and phytonutrients"

it's not something that should be fed on it's own! It's something that should be added to a balanced raw or kibble diet to add nutrients. If you want to feed raw check out the sticky, if your dog isnt currently on kibble, Id recommend getting some!

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:12 am

Green tripe is very beneficial to dogs, but like mentioned above, should be used as a supplement and not the entire meal.

It is full of vitamins and minerals and is great for the skin and coat.

Just make sure it's the green tripe and not the bleached white tripe, which has very little nutritional value.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:40 am

I started using it as a supplement for my dogs, after some long decesion making for our female, she has serious skin issues, allergies, we switched her to a raw diet, after research and a lot of urging from others that feed raw. But, we give tripe to all the dogs, just a supplement, and a treat, and I have to be honest, Sky looks a hundred percent better, and the boys' coats look fantastic.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:43 am

My thoughts are it is extremely foul smelling and makes me gag but the dogs love it.

ThompsonZ
Newborn Bully

Postby ThompsonZ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:58 am

ahhh i see. And yes he was feeding it tripe alone and nothing else for like 6 months. Ok thanks all that explains everything and has helped loads.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:10 am

Deniselynn wrote:My thoughts are it is extremely foul smelling and makes me gag but the dogs love it.

:thumbsup:

At least with 4 dogs I can buy the 5 pound chub and feed one as a meal and not have to portion it out all precise.

BaltimoreBully
Adolescent Bully

Postby BaltimoreBully » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:14 pm

My dogs and my cat love tripe. I buy it in big chunks and they (the dogs) have have a nice chew session on it a couple times a week. Outside of course. I do buy the ground stuff for the cat cause he stays inside and I don't want him dragging that stuff all over the house. It does stink but as part of a raw diet it's very healthy. It should be a part of a diet and not feed as the only food source though.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Since we're on the topic of tripe, am I the only person ever to have a dog who eats tripe (I've only tried beef tripe :dunno:) and immediately becomes sick to his stomach, sometimes resulting in vomiting?

I know I have a weird dog, but it seems that everything I've ever read about tripe would lead one to believe it would be great for the digestively sensitive canine, and yet, a couple of tablespoons and Streets spends the night miserable. There's seriously got to be another dog like him, he's not that special......

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:52 pm

Poor guy :sad:

He must have some major allergy (grass? corn?) to be feeling it that quickly and for that long.

LMW

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:06 am

I feed it once or twice a week. I buy it frozen in 1 lb chubs so I don't have to fuss with breaking it apart or getting my hands anywhere near it. Grosses me out, but Bennie and Quincy like it. Tiny doesn't really much care for it. In a way, it sort of goes against the grain free diet I'm trying to provide by feeding raw and grain free kibble when I see big whole pieces of undigested corn from the cow's stomach in the tripe. And the smell, one word sums it up...ZOO! It smells just like the zoo.

Return to “Health Issues”