Corn -vs- Rice

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SoArkSi
Newborn Bully

Corn -vs- Rice

Postby SoArkSi » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:19 pm

I have been asking every dog owner I know and cannot find any answer. Which is worse corn meal or ground corn? And my second question is what would you rather feed your dog: corn or rice? The food my dogs devaour (sp) and love has corn in it but the natural lines my supplier carries are all anti-corn, but have a lot of rice and wheat in them. Thanks for any answers or suggestions.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:32 pm

I'd choose rice.

Monte gets skin breakouts with corn and doesn't seem to have any issues with rice.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 pm

It depends on your dog. If your dog does not have allergies, it doesn't matter.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:45 pm

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:14 pm

Ours tend to react to corn if they are going to react.
Only one has issues with rice, and she's on the NB Duck/potato or Sweet potato ones.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:50 pm

corn is higher in protein and therefore more likely to cause food allergies. True food allergies are rare in dogs and generally not a concern. Both are highly digestable and excellent ingredients when fed as a whole ground ingredient in appropriate proportions to other sources of protein, fat, carbohydrates, minerals and fiber.

Just avoiding grains and ignoring the rest of the nutrients is silly... you have to have the whole package.

SoArkSi
Newborn Bully

Postby SoArkSi » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:40 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:corn is higher in protein and therefore more likely to cause food allergies. True food allergies are rare in dogs and generally not a concern. Both are highly digestable and excellent ingredients when fed as a whole ground ingredient in appropriate proportions to other sources of protein, fat, carbohydrates, minerals and fiber.

Just avoiding grains and ignoring the rest of the nutrients is silly... you have to have the whole package.

When you say that both are good wheb fed as whole ground ingredient, does that mean that the ground corn is a little better than the corn meal? Because I know that Chicken is better than chicken meal in the ingredients list.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:05 am

Actually... thats just a myth. Weather or not an ingredient is a meal or not tells you NOTHING about its quality.

Some chicken meals are actually more nutritious than deboned chicken because they contain a high percentage of organs along with the meat. Other meals are barely more nutritious than sawdust. The only way to know the nutritive value of a meal is to know where it came from and know its digestability. This is why it is so important to choose a brand with consistent quality control and a brand that works for YOUR dog, not just a list on a piece of paper.

Your "ratings" type websites like dogfoodproject.com will tell you to choose whole chicken as a better ingredient, but there is so much water in it you still don't know how much meat is in the food by looking at that ingredient alone. I'm also not afraid to feed my dog "by-products" because those are often more nutritous as well.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:35 am

Actually, from what I understand, chicken MEAL is better than chicken because chicken still has the water in it.
Unless your ingred. list contains chicken then chicken meal as #2 ingredient, it's better to go with chicken meal as the 1st ingred.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... erproducts

What to look for:
►Specifically named meats and meat meals such as chicken, chicken meal, turkey, turkey meal, lamb, lamb meal, duck, duck meal, beef, beef meal, eggs and so on.
►The following are lesser quality ingredients and are not found in truly high quality products, but may be present in smaller amounts (not as the main protein ingredients) in "mid range" foods: fresh byproducts indicating a specific species (e.g. beef/chicken/turkey/lamb byproducts), corn gluten, corn gluten meal.Products that include these as main ingredients should be avoided.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:45 am

Not "Better" - just more condensed and/or more of it

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:19 pm

You also have to remember to take the analysis into consideration when looking at the meat. It isnt neccessarily better to have chicken meal then whole chicken, just reading the ingredients doesnt say it's better. You also need to look and see how much protein is in the food.
If it is a one protein kibble with whole chicken and it had 40% protein, that would be better then a kibble that had chicken meal but only 20% protein. Taking into consideration any other ingredients that may provide protein as well.

I personally prefer rice to corn, but I also make sure too look out to see what kind of rice and corn is in the food.

I would recommend reading up on dog food, there is no real cut and dry answer to what makes a good kibble, knowing what the ingredients and analysis mean is a very good thing to know!

spammie

Postby spammie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:55 pm

My personal preference is rice over corn. I avoid foos with any kind of corn in it.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:56 pm

yvette is correct, in general when looking at an ingredient list, chicken meal is better than chicken. while some foods may have chicken as the first ingredient the water content can take up a large percentage of that. the meal is more concentrated.

texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby texturejunkie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:37 pm

i would rather see rice than corn - rice has a better animo acid profile and better gylcemic index, plus its lower in protein than corn (therefore cormeal foods depend on corn for protein more than foods with ground corn and even more than ground rice in the same spot on the ingredient list.)

and i would rather see ground corn than cornmeal.
cornmeal is dehydrated, highly processed corn. with all the moisture gone it will retain its place in the ingredient list. (there is more actual corn in cornmeal than ground corn of the same weight)

SoArkSi
Newborn Bully

Postby SoArkSi » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:45 pm

I guess it makes since why my dogs do better on Black Gold with by-products and grains than they do on the new store by-product and grain free food.

Return to “Health Issues”