Is My Dog Fat?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Dallas
Newborn Bully

Is My Dog Fat?

Postby Dallas » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:45 pm

There have been a couple of people recently that have jokingly mentioned that Archie is fat. I was not offended but I want to make sure that I do not keep feeding him the same if he is fat. Do not think I will get offended or get my feelings hurt. Just be honest.

I do not know his height but he weighs 66 lbs. I take him on a walk/run/bike along side him twice a day for 1 hr each time(2hrs/day total).

To me, its similar to when people say that he is big and scary. During walks some neighbors say that no one will ever mess with me because of him. I look at him and do not see big or scary....not even tough, lol.

This one I can see as being a little scary....

Image[/img]

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:48 pm

I wouldn't say "fat" exactly, but he could stand to be a few pounds lighter. I like to see at least a little rib. He definitely does not look scary!

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:51 pm

Sarah wrote:I wouldn't say "fat" exactly, but he could stand to be a few pounds lighter. I like to see at least a little rib. He definitely does not look scary!

He's what I would call "Vet Healthy" - most vets would say he's in great shape, but this breed should be a little leaner, you should be able to see a shadow of ribs, with lots of muscle tone. When he's standing straight you shouldn't be able to count the ribs easily (you'll see a lot more definition if he turns at all) but there should be a lot of definition.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:51 pm

Sarah wrote:I wouldn't say "fat" exactly, but he could stand to be a few pounds lighter. I like to see at least a little rib. He definitely does not look scary!

He's what I would call "Vet Healthy" - most vets would say he's in great shape, but this breed should be a little leaner, you should be able to see a shadow of ribs, with lots of muscle tone. When he's standing straight you shouldn't be able to count the ribs easily (you'll see a lot more definition if he turns at all) but there should be definition.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:53 pm

well he isn't exactly ft, but I think he woudl look a lot better if he lost around 5 'ish' pounds or so.
that is a lot of weight to be pounding on his joints when your out running/ cycling with him

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:54 pm

I wouldn't deliberately try to have him lose - he looks fine -but he could stand to be toned up, that's all.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:01 pm

I wouldn't deliberately try to have him lose - he looks fine -but he could stand to be toned up, that's all.

I agree.

Dallas
Newborn Bully

Postby Dallas » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. I agree about should able to see ribs and didn't notice that they were not visible anymore until you all mentioned it. They were visible during the summer since he was swimming everyday.

I will make sure to add more flirt pole time with him.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Your boy is so handsome! Nothing a flirtpole and some heavy walking won't do to tone him. :thumbsup:

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:09 pm

He's not fat per say but could use some definition, he has no tuck at all really so could lose a couple pounds. I like to see a nice tuck and a couple ribs on my dogs but let them get a little chunkier in the winter usually. My dog Nero is slimmer than I like, I am working on putting an extra pound or two on but he's hard to keep weight on. Since it's so cold here I figure they can use some fat. They are too thin IMO when you are seeing spine or hip bones very prominent.

Sounds like you have nice weather so I'd say look at how much you are feeding him and maybe cut back 1/2 cup a day and up the exercise, swimming is really good, no pressure on the joints and once he's slimmed down running will be a lot easier on him.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:27 pm

That dog does have tuck, just not as defined.
If he toned up you'd see it more.
No tuck is L Boogie's dog, pre-diet.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:37 pm

msvette2u wrote:That dog does have tuck, just not as defined.
If he toned up you'd see it more.
No tuck is L Boogie's dog, pre-diet.

Is that Lexus? The one that was super overweight? That's a good thread to dig up to show what a difference a diet and exercise can do.

nena103102
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby nena103102 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:21 am

He's deff not fat. Maybe a bit leaner but NOT fat at all.

Dallas
Newborn Bully

Postby Dallas » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 am

The run/walk is always an hour. And by walk, I mean I walk him to the baseball fields then let off-leash and allow him run back and forth sniffing for and chasing rabbits. The entire time I am walking but he is running back and forth.

The bike sometimes is shorter than an hour (40 min)only because he has been running constantly.

Maybe cut back a little on the feeding and add some flirtpole. I feed him 1 cup of Timberwolf twice a day(2 cups total). I feed him after our morning workout and then again in the evening while the family is eating.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:59 am

Miss Piggy (Lexus) is flattered you all remembered her. lol

Here is her thread: http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... n&start=19

<---That is her in my avatar now

I think your boy could lose just a couple of lbs. If he's getting that much exercise and lacks muscle definition, he's probably just getting a little too much food. Does he get treats? Baby carrots make very healthy treats and my dogs love them.

Return to “Health Issues”