Is My Dog Fat?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:05 am

GoingPostal wrote:
msvette2u wrote:That dog does have tuck, just not as defined.
If he toned up you'd see it more.
No tuck is L Boogie's dog, pre-diet.

Is that Lexus? The one that was super overweight? That's a good thread to dig up to show what a difference a diet and exercise can do.

Yep - that's a good example of "no tuck".
Tuck is that place behind the ribs that is a dog's "waist" and I don't see a photo from above but I am sure that dog has a waistline.
I don't think cutting food is good IF you're going to exercise the dog harder.

If you're going to exercise the dog harder to see where you get, then leave the amt. of food as it is, and see what happens. Chances are, the dog's metabolism will be bumped up and it will NEED those extra calories.

That is, try one (diet) or the other (exercise) but not both at once - wait to see if no improvement is made by increased exercise before cutting the amt. of food back.

Dallas
Newborn Bully

Postby Dallas » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:56 pm

Here is a pic from above.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Dallas
Newborn Bully

Postby Dallas » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:06 pm

L Boogie,

WOW! You did a great job with Lexus.

I think I will cut back a little on the food and do flirtpole every other day to help him shed a few pounds off. I will shoot for visible ribs which might be around 60 lbs. Once he is there than I will adjust food and/or do flirtpole more often.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Ah, from above he is a little chunky.
Be careful (again) about cutting back AND exercising.
I'd advise 1 or the other, not both, at least right now, but that's just my opinion.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:32 pm

msvette2u wrote:Ah, from above he is a little chunky.
Be careful (again) about cutting back AND exercising.
I'd advise 1 or the other, not both, at least right now, but that's just my opinion.

This is a good point, my female is usually a little chunky but if I up the exercise she needs extra food to not get scrawny. When we are lazy like now she will get fat fast if I don't cut back the food. Right now she gets 2 cups a day of Canidae, in the summer she gets an extra 3/4 cup. The male I posted gets 5 cups a day to maintain his skinny butt and is finally at that amount putting on some weight. Every dog is different.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Well it's like us - once we start exercising, our caloric needs go up. Makes sense to me.
The hotter you (or a dog) runs, the more fuel we (or they) need :dunno:

FWIW, our dogs are all fairly lazy but play outside, for the little guys that's about all they need and they have a half acre to run, play, dig, whatever-- none are overweight at all, none are super "toned" but none are fat.
The small ones get 1/2c - 1c. per day, the medium ones get 1.5c./day and the largest gets 4c./day.
Again, that's with moderate exercise.
The type food you're feeding makes a huge difference as well.
You'll want to choose DENSE food so as to feed as little as necessary to achieve caloric and protein needs.

texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby texturejunkie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 pm

not fat at all .. just not toned at all either

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:46 pm

He is slightly heavy, I would try to loose a couple lbs. The weather should also be considered though. It gets really cold here, so I like a couple extra pounds on them during the winter.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:54 pm

I think he looks cuddly. :)

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:39 am

He is a cute boy with a nice coat (at least from the pictures) and whether someone would call him fat depends on their perception of what a dog should look like.If he is healthy, moving nicely, can do normal activities without breathing hard that is mainly all you have to worry about.An increase in physical activity would tone him up without cutting much on food.

Return to “Health Issues”