Argh -- the continuing hair loss

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby texturejunkie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:32 am

my dog has ichthyosis ..

it doesnt sound like this is exactly the same symptoms, but its something i didnt hear of for years and might help you narrow it down

btw, if you do read up on it .. my dog hasnt gotten worse with age as it states .. im not sure why, but its consistent and maintaining a generally unnoticeable manifestation

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/dermat ... hyosis.htm

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:USZ ... 0mange.bmp

http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/gnn_im ... eat1_4.jpg

sounds to me like allergies, think about food, cleaners you use, materials, seasonal environmental issues etc etc

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:39 am

msvette2u wrote:Hope some of this helps :)

You have been a big help. I appreciate every response :thumbsup:

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the thyroid problem. Her hair pulls out easily. She just started licking her paws nonstop which I read could be due to blisters or bacteria between her toes due to a thyroid problem. She doesn't scratch, much, which I guess would cut down the chances of an allergy.

I think before I leave for Georgia Friday I will stop by the vet for a blood test.

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:43 am

texturejunkie wrote:my dog has ichthyosis ..

it doesnt sound like this is exactly the same symptoms, but its something i didnt hear of for years and might help you narrow it down

btw, if you do read up on it .. my dog hasnt gotten worse with age as it states .. im not sure why, but its consistent and maintaining a generally unnoticeable manifestation

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/dermat ... hyosis.htm

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:USZ ... 0mange.bmp

http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/gnn_im ... eat1_4.jpg

sounds to me like allergies, think about food, cleaners you use, materials, seasonal environmental issues etc etc

Hey, thanks, I've never heard of that either.

Her coat is not overly dry or greasy, it's just right, and her skin doesn't flake, so I don't think this is it. It's still good to know in case I come across it in the future.

I think it's either her thyroid or allergies, so I will start with a thyroid test since that is much easier to diagnose.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:51 am

Have antibiotics been tried?? The cortisone is probably STILL keeping the inflammation down, but the bacteria are having a party on the skin...

Hair falling out easily only means the hair has completed its growth cycle, it does not identify an underlying cause.

I would test the thyroid and do skin cytology to look for bacteria/yeast.

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:07 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Have antibiotics been tried?? The cortisone is probably STILL keeping the inflammation down, but the bacteria are having a party on the skin...

Hair falling out easily only means the hair has completed its growth cycle, it does not identify an underlying cause.

I would test the thyroid and do skin cytology to look for bacteria/yeast.

The cortisone shot was around 2 months ago, so wouldn't think it's helping the inflammation anymore.

Hope to have a solution next week. She looks so unhealthy without her full coat :(

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:28 am

Jorsher wrote:The cortisone shot was around 2 months ago, so wouldn't think it's helping the inflammation anymore.

Actually, depending on the formulation, its probably just now starting to wear off...

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:56 pm

Like MissKiwi, I'd be suspicious of a bacterial infection, and would want to try antibiotics. Tess had one once in which she was not itching, and appeared perfectly healthy, except that the hair on her sides was gradually falling out. A couple weeks on cephalexin, and she was fine.

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:11 pm

Ok, will have them check on that as well.

I know the problem can't be solved without a vet check, but after the last visit I'd like to have some things to suggest...although I really hate telling giving someone suggestions that is supposed to be the one making them.

She was on cephalexin for a couple weeks after a urinary tract infection, but I can't remember if this started before or after that.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Well sometimes our vets need a "bump" in the right direction.
If you don't change vets outright, at the very least DO NOT let them give her another steroid shot.
Ask about a skin scraping or whatever, to try to get to the root of the problem and stress to them that the Cortisone is not working.
Antibiotics have an anti-inflammatory effect as well, so they may very well help.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Not to derail the thread, but texturejunkie, is your dog an apbt? I ask because I'd only heard of it in American Bulldogs. There was a popular stud who helped spread it.

texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby texturejunkie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:39 pm

Leslie H wrote:Not to derail the thread, but texturejunkie, is your dog an apbt? I ask because I'd only heard of it in American Bulldogs. There was a popular stud who helped spread it.

hes an apbt / black lab
his mom was a tall wiry rednose

*puts the thread back on rail :)

Return to “Health Issues”