Dog Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Melissa528
Newborn Bully

Dog Food

Postby Melissa528 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:27 pm

My 13 year old German Shepard/Rott mix has been on Pedigree Adult kibble for as long as I could remember and he's extremely healthy. Even at the old age of 13 he's still kicking and has had no health problems, EVER... He's just a very healthy dog. Naturally I thought I would start Reina (my Pit bull puppy) on Pedigree too. She's actually on Pedigree puppy. I didn't realize that it was a "bad" food until I starting reading around the forums. Anyhow, what is a GOOD but not too expensive food for my dogs? I understand the cheaper the food, the worse the quality so I want something mid-grade, something that's good quality but not too expensive. We're in a recession people and as much as I would like to feed my dogs top notch food, I just can't afford it right now.... Oh and is Pedigree really THAT bad? If so, why is my Rocky so freaking healthy? Luck maybe?

ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovemypits » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Have you tried this thread?

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

The health section is a great place to start regarding food :) I've ready many of the threads there for help.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:41 pm

I feel flames coming for this one but... If he's doing so well on the food and doesn't have any health issues i fail to see a reason to change him to something better, as long as you and your vet are comfortable with the food you are feeding then i say go for it.
As far as a decent mid grade food if you do decide to change over, my choice for a mid grade would be something like Nutro max, or Billjac, A very cost effective high quality option is raw which we feed, there is less waste in a raw diet and you can control what your dogs do and do not eat unlike kibbled rations where you just have to trust the label. It costs us less to feed four dogs raw for a month than it costs to feed them a kibbled ration for two and a half weeks, I highly suggest reading the B.A.R.F. thread as it has a lot of valuable information for those considering a raw diet. Good luck in your quest for good food.

Melissa528
Newborn Bully

Postby Melissa528 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:52 pm

^ Thanks a bunch. I will definately look into those threads. I'm not so much concerned with Rocky because like I said he's 13 and has had no problems, I would think at this age that switching his food might do more harm then good but I could be wrong. However if it's soo "bad" then I want to have Reina on something better because she's so young and just starting out her life. Rocky has passed his life expectancy and he's still kicking so i'm not too worried about him.

Torin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Torin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:58 pm

I keep my theory at this. Feed the best you can for what you can afford. Not all dogs are created equal so not all food is going to work for all dogs.

We feed all our dogs Nutro Natural Choice foods. If you go to our website www.flyinghighk0s.com under each dogs page it will link you to the direct food we feed that dog through Nutro. Feel free to email me or PM me if you have any questions!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:02 pm

I would NOT change the food for your adult dog, but I would look for a better quality PUPPY food for your new puppy. Puppies are much more adaptable and the food options available today are much better than what was available 12 years ago.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Diamond Naturals is a good brand, very decently priced also. About $30-ish for 40 lbs of food.

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:03 pm

yes also mif u have a costco around their kirkland food is prime for the buck...i have riddick on innova large breed puppy and it is beginning to be too expensive, i just dont want to switch him bc he is doing so great

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:11 pm

It'd be easier to make suggestions if you let us know what your price range is.

I currently feed Molly Taste Of The Wild. It's $45 for 30lbs, and is a high protein, grain-free food. I feel like it's a pretty darn reasonable price. I don't mind spending $45 a month and knowing my dog is getting healthy food.

As the others said, get what fits in your budget. If you can tell us what range you're trying to stay in, I'm sure someone will make some good suggestions.

dannyd1986
Newborn Bully

Postby dannyd1986 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:02 am

I switched Rex to pro plan, it seems to be good food, and its not that expensive either.

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Postby *ruckus* » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:31 pm

Torin wrote:I keep my theory at this. Feed the best you can for what you can afford. Not all dogs are created equal so not all food is going to work for all dogs.

We feed all our dogs Nutro Natural Choice foods. If you go to our website www.flyinghighk0s.com under each dogs page it will link you to the direct food we feed that dog through Nutro. Feel free to email me or PM me if you have any questions!

I feed Ruckus Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy (he's already 55lbs at six months!), but have gotten the feeling that a lot of people don't think that Nutro is that good. Does anyone know what the difference is between Nutro and other natural dog foods, and why it isn't considered as good for them?
Thanks! *i*

texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby texturejunkie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:10 pm

yes, pedigree is that bad ..
and yes its a mystery how dogs can seem healthy for years on such foods..

one thing to keep in mind is feeding guidelines, most of the low end or even mid end foods are far too low in calories (like nutro natural choice) often times the high end foods are cheaper to feed than these mid end options simply due to their feeding guidelines being lower.

assuming your in the states ..
-canadae is pretty well priced.
-natures variety as well.
- eaglepack

if your in canada i have better suggestions for you
-horizen complete puppy
-summit chicken and rice all life stages (or three meat for adults .. not as good, but much cheaper)
- pro series

texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby texturejunkie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:15 pm

dannyd1986 wrote:I switched Rex to pro plan, it seems to be good food, and its not that expensive either.

i sell this food at my store and i would never reccomend it.
there are worse .. but there are also far better for a better price that arent owned by Nestle

talk to a local holistic vet, and or go to more than one pet specialty store and talk to more than one clerk and ask them the same questions and make up your own mind. =)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:24 am

texturejunkie wrote:
dannyd1986 wrote:I switched Rex to pro plan, it seems to be good food, and its not that expensive either.

i sell this food at my store and i would never reccomend it.
there are worse .. but there are also far better for a better price that arent owned by Nestle

talk to a local holistic vet, and or go to more than one pet specialty store and talk to more than one clerk and ask them the same questions and make up your own mind. =)

I've used pro plan, I like it and recommend it. However, depending on how much your local petstores mark up the premium brands, you might be able to do even better for the same amount of money.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:32 am

757 bully wrote:yes also mif u have a costco around their kirkland food is prime for the buck...i have riddick on innova large breed puppy and it is beginning to be too expensive, i just dont want to switch him bc he is doing so great

x2 for Costco/Kirkland :)

Return to “Health Issues”