NEW DOG WILL NOT POOP

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
racerx
Super Bully

NEW DOG WILL NOT POOP

Postby racerx » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:37 pm

my coworker adopted a husky yesterday and they can not get her to go poo. she is not use to having to go on a leash and they do not have a fence yet. she is used to having a fenced in yard to go in. any ideas???

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:57 pm

I would suggest taking the dog for a good walk – it can really help get the bowels going and it will most likely stop and do what it needs to do because of the physical activity.

Also, are they feeding the same food it was eating before? When we adopted our dog, we kept her on the same food that she was being fed at the shelter for several weeks before transitioning her because we figured she had so much other adjusting to do (like potty training and socializing to us and being in a new home, etc).

racerx
Super Bully

Postby racerx » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:06 pm

thanks for the reply they have been walking her and giving her the same food.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:18 pm

Maybe it's just the newness of being in a new home. I remember now too that we had to add canned pumpkin to Molly's food (the same nasty shelter food) because she seemed to have difficulty pooing at the beginning but her poops were also really hard – she seemed to physically strain a bit to get them out.

racerx
Super Bully

Postby racerx » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:38 pm

thanks again for the reply, that is what we were thinking also, but i posted just to make such that not pooing is a some what normal thing. we were starting to worry.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:47 pm

some dogs wont poop due to nerves, eventually the husky will go, if your friend really wants the dog to poop give some extra salmon oil toget things flowing...

heck my gsd wouldnt poop/pee off our property for a year...... she would hold it if we took her anywhere and wait till we got back home togo.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Although people might shoot me for suggesting so, we will often use a flexi for those shy dogs who don't like to poop on a leash ;)

texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby texturejunkie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:40 pm

msvette2u wrote:Although people might shoot me for suggesting so, we will often use a flexi for those shy dogs who don't like to poop on a leash ;)

:bully:

flexis are the work of the devil! ;) ;)

that is a really good suggestion ... but i do have an alternate and i think superior suggestion.

a training lead (20-30 feet)
:cool:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:34 pm

Depends on the dog and the situation :dunno:
They've worked for us but we would not walk them on flexis except to potty in remote areas we don't want them wandering off for.
In their own yard, they should be able to use a flexi as long as it's an appropriate size for the dog and they don't let him get zoomies and hit the end of the lead ;)

texturejunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby texturejunkie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:59 pm

msvette2u wrote:Depends on the dog and the situation :dunno:

i was only teasing about the flexis ;)

but now that i think about it .. many dogs are slightly nervous with cords and and things that move on thier own etc.

this dog wont go out of nerves regarding some random quality of being on leash, so a limp long nylon leash might be less intimidating *shrug

hope all works out for the dogg =)

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:56 pm

texturejunkie wrote:
msvette2u wrote:Although people might shoot me for suggesting so, we will often use a flexi for those shy dogs who don't like to poop on a leash ;)

:bully:

flexis are the work of the devil! ;) ;)

that is a really good suggestion ... but i do have an alternate and i think superior suggestion.

a training lead (20-30 feet)
:cool:

I agree with the training lead.... I work with a rescue, and I usually use training leads for the ones that are used to roaming free to do their business..... It still gives them room to walk away from you, but yet you still have the ability to get the dog back to you....

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:58 am

how did it go, did he start pooping finally?

Return to “Health Issues”