swallows food whole.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
JenLeigh
Pit Bull Forum Addict

swallows food whole.

Postby JenLeigh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:33 pm

how do i teach Finn to chew his kibble. i want to eventually start him on a raw diet, and so in the research i saw that a lot of people had to reteach their dogs how to chew, handfeeding and such. and i get the concept of holding the chicken and him gnawing and chewing on it.

but until i can start that process, he's got a huge bag of food to go through and he INHALES it. i watched him closely tonight and he licks/sucks up a whole bunch and only chews one or two pieces before goin in again for more. so im curious.

he also inhales treats. the little training treats. he'll get a reward and then we set up for the next step or trick and he gets excited takes a deep breath and then has to hork the treat up cuz it was just on its way down...fully intact!!!!!!!!!

i am soooo scared of him choking that i NEVER free feed. and i make SURE i can hear him while he eats. standing over him feels wierd and he gives me funny looks!! and i figure...well i wouldnt want someone standing there watching me eat, so i make sure that there's no loud music and such!! my famly is like...hmm...silence while the dog eats??? :oops:

anyway...im just curious how i would teach him how to savor his food. lol. chew the pieces. don't inhale. ~

~*~ jen ~*~

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:42 pm

I would be curious to know as well. My female inhales everything I feed her too.

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:38 am

Pete wrote:I would be curious to know as well. My female inhales everything I feed her too.

X2
My 4 month old pup swallows his kibble and training treats whole. Both very small, don’t seem healthy though. He chews all larger treats and the chicken I mix into his food occasionally, but when I’m not hand feeding him he's inhaling kibble.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:00 am

JenLeigh, Petsmart have a bowl that is divided in compartments.If you get the right size the dog can slip the muzzle through each compartment and eat the food much slower that he would with a regular bowl.Another thing you can do is to scatter the food around, on the floor or yard, in small piles one away from the other.The dog will "hunt" for food, which is mental stimulation, and get to eat his meal in smaller portions.Hand feeding works as well but if you don't want to do that consider the bowl or the other option.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:54 am

I actually have the bowl at PetSmart on my list to do today. I have been looking at it for some time and after Pagie inhaled the entire bowl of kibble then hurled it across the room in a cough last night, I am gettng it. :headbang:

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:01 am

when maggie was on kibble, she'd inhale it.
now that she's on raw, she chews. she has to!

i agree with the other posters tho, the bowl with the obstructions in it make dogs slow down. or you could put something in the bowl that the dog needs to eat around. i used to toss a lacrosse ball in the bowl with the kibble. she was too intent on eating the food to figure out that she could just pick up the ball and remove it. lol

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:43 pm

kaytenmags wrote:when maggie was on kibble, she'd inhale it.
now that she's on raw, she chews. she has to!

That's actually one of the main reasons I initially switched to BARF. Beowulf is a gulper. He swallowed the kibble without chewing at all and I thought he was going to choke to death on at least three different occasions. I still had to handfeed him the meat portion for a while but the vegetable glop goes down fine with no chewing. I can't feed chicken necks because he still just swallows them whole, but everything else he has learned to chew.

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:46 pm

I throw a ball in the bowl. It's slowed down most of my dogs...except Havoc, he'll never slow down.

JenLeigh
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby JenLeigh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:00 pm

thanks for the tips guys!!! i gave him his breakfast this morning after a run on the treadmill by scattering it all over the house. i wasnt subtle about it...i wasnt sure if i was supposed to hide the food or not...but i scattered it through the WHOLE house. and then i just watched him hunt all the pieces down. and i heard WAY more chewing than when he just eats from the bowl. so YAY. tonight for supper im going to try the ball in the dish. but he is really fixated on that particular ball, so im going to try and exhaust him before dinner so he's not as keen to play with his ball.

i will update on how this goes tonight!! ~

~*~ jen ~*~

JenLeigh
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby JenLeigh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:24 am

yah...he wouldnt eat with the ball there. just kept stealing it and runnin off to eat the ball. so i just took it away and did our usual excersizes before letting him go eat...and once again...inhaled. quicker than before too!!!!!! wow. so i guess i'll just keep scattering his food around my house until i can get him onto the RAW diet. ~

~*~ jen ~*~

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:39 am

so i guess i'll just keep scattering his food around my house until i can get him onto the RAW diet. ~

Good luck with that, when it comes to fast eating!! My dogs get raw meat here and there and with chicken wings or other parts they get hand fed. Otherwise the food disappear in a moment.I don't even know if they taste it.When my Ice was on a raw diet...holy molly inhaling! Smaller bones were crashed but eaten way too fast.

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Ruger wrote:
Pete wrote:I would be curious to know as well. My female inhales everything I feed her too.

X2
My 4 month old pup swallows his kibble and training treats whole. Both very small, don’t seem healthy though. He chews all larger treats and the chicken I mix into his food occasionally, but when I’m not hand feeding him he's inhaling kibble.

do u feed him the chicken raw? i want to do that didnt know it was okay with kibble, and the kibble is grain free if tht helps

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Red wrote:
so i guess i'll just keep scattering his food around my house until i can get him onto the RAW diet. ~

Good luck with that, when it comes to fast eating!! My dogs get raw meat here and there and with chicken wings or other parts they get hand fed. Otherwise the food disappear in a moment.I don't even know if they taste it.When my Ice was on a raw diet...holy molly inhaling! Smaller bones were crashed but eaten way too fast.

can i give riddick a chicken leg even tho he eats kibble. or will it upset his stom,ach to much...sorry to the OP

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:16 pm

but about the chewing. riddick did that to, give a little bit so it just covers the bottom of the bowl, then when he is done do it again. this way he can tgte a whole lot in his mouth at once.

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:28 am

Ruger now has a bigger bowl so one feeding just cover the bottom, plus I tried the ball in the bowl thing. Both are helping, I hear way more chewing.
I boil plain chicken breast and chop them up into small pieces. I don't see a problem with adding things to kibble. It didn't upset my pup's stomach.

Return to “Health Issues”