bully sticks

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
757 bully
Adolescent Bully

bully sticks

Postby 757 bully » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:51 am

so are they ok for riddick. 6 months and hes prettyy much ate his first one in 20 mins its about the size of those jumbo pens

Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red Brindle » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:08 pm

We used to feed bully sticks but stopped for a couple of reasons. They were giving Huckabee loose stools and also we heard a story about a staffy who had a piece lodged in her intestine and she almost died and needed a 10,000$ operation. To me not worth the risk.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:11 pm

maggie LOVES bully sticks.
they're a regular in my household, and i've never had a problem. then again, i'm always there when she eats them, and she's a good chewer.

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:33 pm

kaytenmags wrote:maggie LOVES bully sticks.
they're a regular in my household, and i've never had a problem. then again, i'm always there when she eats them, and she's a good chewer.

x2! Hannah LOVES them! I buy the 12 in. ones though...they last longer. But as stated above I'm there when she has them...and shes a good chewer too, doesn't scarf.

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:19 pm

yea im watching riddick now he chewing it real well, and licking. chew lick che lick chew lick haha. what r they made out of?

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:24 pm

That's weird that a piece would get stuck in a dog's intestine because bully sticks are extremely palatable and digest completely. Are you sure it wasn't rawhide that the dog had eaten?

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:38 pm

iluvmypithannah wrote:
kaytenmags wrote:maggie LOVES bully sticks.

x2! Hannah LOVES them! I buy the 12 in. ones though...they last longer. But as stated above I'm there when she has them...and shes a good chewer too, doesn't scarf.

X2. Ruger is 4 months and loves them. He chews them very well and I'm always there to watch him. He gets the 12 in. ones also, and they keep him busy for about two hours or so. I heard they were made of Bull Penis. Not sure if it was the truth though, the science diet delivery guy at the store was just trying to get me to buy their treats.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:43 pm

Ruger wrote:[I heard they were made of Bull Penis. Not sure if it was the truth though, the science diet delivery guy at the store was just trying to get me to buy their treats.

That is exactly what they are. My dogs love them, but Tess tends to swallow hers in big chunks, so I'm not sure they should have them.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:48 pm

Yep, that's what they are. My dogs love them. I give them pumpkin in their food on the same days they get Bully Sticks, keeps the poops firm lol

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:08 pm

so the bully stic k might upset his stomach?

Ruger
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ruger » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:20 pm

Ruger hasn't had any problem with them. I would think its just like anything else, it agrees with some dogs and doesn't with others.

Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red Brindle » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:12 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:That's weird that a piece would get stuck in a dog's intestine because bully sticks are extremely palatable and digest completely. Are you sure it wasn't rawhide that the dog had eaten?

Yeah definitely. I have and never will give Huckabee rawhide because its not digestable. Bully sticks are way more digestable than rawhide but in this case the dog swallowed a sizeable chunk which lodged itself in its intestine and ate the wall away or something of that nature.

We used to get the small ones for Huckabee when she was a puppy and she would gnaw at them until they were about 2/3 done and then you would look over and the whole thing would be down the hatch! After she was able to sneak this a couple of times we decided it wasn't worth the risk for us. Though we never did buy the larger size (I saw a 3 foot one at the Planet Dog flagship store in Portland ME, that would have been one hell of a bull) which she may have chewed slower.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:22 pm

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 pm

I buy them when I can afford, damn if those things aren't expensive. Jersey will try and swallow the end inch and I have to take it away before that, she puked up a couple before I figured that out. Nero eats his nicely though. I just like them because they are healty and last more than a gulp.

ROLEX
Adolescent Bully

Postby ROLEX » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:24 pm

Rolex got one a week, until I found out that they are a chopped off bull penis :yucky:
now I'm not a fan. :oops:

Return to “Health Issues”