Suspected distemper, should I...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Suspected distemper, should I...

Postby fireincairo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:15 pm

There is a great chance my pup has distemper, says the vet. She recommended rest and hydration. Should I take away her toys? She's still pouncing around the place, playing with her squeaky toys and such. She may be expending a lot of energy, more than she needs to. Should I just limit them for now, until she gets better? She's new to the place, so I've just left plenty of chew toys on the floor for her.

What do you think? I'm trying to do whatever I can to support her return to health.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:21 pm

I would ask your vet and whatever it is that she recommends.
Get well soon, little pup. :hug:

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:38 pm

What are the symptoms? I've never had a distemper pup bouncing around playing before myself.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:45 pm

Abundant nasal discharge (was watery a few days ago, now it's green and thick); some eye discharge (seems like eye boogers - not like the nose discharge); sneezing.

She hasn't had any diarrhea, vomiting, etc. She first exhibited these symptoms perhaps Sunday. She is on Keflex (antibiotic) now.

The problem is she wasn't vaccinated prior to our getting her, and she is nearly 11 weeks. When we took her to the vet Wednesday, she got her first set of shots.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:48 pm

fireincairo wrote:She hasn't had any diarrhea, vomiting, etc. She first exhibited these symptoms perhaps Sunday. She is on Keflex (antibiotic) now.

This is misleading. I meant she first started having the upper respiratory symptoms Sunday. She hasn't had the vomiting or diarrhea.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:59 pm

She may have kennel cough because with kennel cough they have a runny nose and sneeze. I really hope it is kennel cough and not distemper.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Yeah, but she doesn't have the hacking cough.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:17 pm

I would let her be her normal self. Taking away toys not only restricts her lifestyle if things go bad, but it will also increase stress and decrease her immune response.

Just keep her healthy, happy and QUARRANTINED, and time will tell on the rest.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:52 pm

Just because she doesnt have a cough doesnt mean that she doesnt have a URI.

Did they put her on a broad spectrum anti biotic in case it is a URI?

Lots of vets around our area think that our URI that comes out of the shelter is distemper and it is cleared up pretty quick with doxy. Doxy is not a drug that many vets like to use with puppies but it certainly does the trick.

I hope it really is just a URI as distemper can leave long lasting brain damage. I have a distemper survivor myself in my house, he is definitely 'special'.

I always hate it when people come in to the clinic quoting message boards but I would ask if you can also treat it like a bad case of URI as well.

I hope she is at least on Doxy as that is usualy the treatment plan for distemper anyways.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:07 pm

fireincairo wrote:She is on Keflex (antibiotic) now.

She's not on doxycycline.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:12 pm

Ceph (or Keflex) is not my favorite for snotty type URIs (but I am not your vet) if she has been on it for an extended period of time and you are not seeing an improvement, there is nothing wrong with asking your vet if there is something else you can try.

Distemper or not, you want something that is at least lessening the symptoms.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:13 pm

Today is the 3rd day of her being on it, so we still have a few pills for her to take.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:16 pm

I've yet to see anything resembling this, which is a good sign!

http://www.familyvet.com/Dogs/019.JPG

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:53 pm

So she started exhibiting symptoms SUNDAY and then your vet vaccinated her WEDNESDAY?! Run, don't walk, away from that vet. No vet in their right mind would vaccinate an already sick puppy!! That has probably only made her MORE sick as vaccines depress the immune system for several days and even weeks.

We also get what I call "kennel crud" very often around here. It does sort of resemble distemper with the snotty nose and goopy eyes but the only true distemper pups I have had were fine, fine, fine, then BAM very sick, nearly dead within a few hours. Distemper typically hits quick and hard.

Cephalexin is what my vet gives to most of my "kennel crud" dogs and it does the trick on most of them.

Emma H
Matured Bully

Postby Emma H » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:20 pm

I would agree. Find a new vet FAST.

Return to “Health Issues”