Suspected distemper, should I...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Marley44
Newborn Bully

Postby Marley44 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:19 am

oh what a mess.

::hugs::

Definetly keep her hydrated, get on your vet.. don't be scared to bug them- sounds like you aren't. She really should be in the hospital at this point on IVF and having her checked regularly. Things sound like they are already getting worse, so it might prevent anything else.

As far as seizures go, they usually involve jaw locking,clenching,twitching. If you notice THOSE things, she's defiently seizing.

Good luck. She's in my thoughts.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:55 am

She is doing MUCH better today. We forced some Pedialyte into her last night. She wasn't happy about it but she was finally able to get some fluids. Last night she slept the whole night and did not have to go out constantly. This morning she ate and drank a lot. I left for a few hours and came back and she ate/drank some more! She looks a lot happier and seems healthier. She hasn't pooped this morning, so the constant runs from yesterday seem to have disappeared. I've taken her out so she can poop a few times but she has yet to. Hopefully she will have formed stools when she does poop later.

Her nose and eyes have cleared up so she doesn't seem to be as congested either. She was lightly playing with her chew toy earlier, so she is in a better mood. It is so nice to see her eating. She is too thin as a result of having no appetite.

Marley, she does have occasional twitches in her face (and the rest of her body), but only when she is sleeping. They seem odd, but they stop whenever I wake her up.

I'm aware that this alleviation may not mean much in the course of distemper; let's just hope that she continues to do as well and doesn't develop horrible neurological symptoms should she have the virus. Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:00 pm

That's great to hear.
She is probably dreaming, much as we twitch in our sleep when we dream, too.
I think you'll know a seizure if she has one.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm

I just ran in from work to get Paige and head to obedience classes, but had to check on this thread before I left.
Sounds like she is feeling a lot better and hope she will now be on her way back to health :thumbsup:

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:35 pm

I am glad she is doing better and hope she continues to improve!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:59 pm

Oh, poor baby. We are sending healing thoughts your way!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Puppies are horribly twitchy when they sleep, so it's probably nothing. It sounds like the recovery process has begun. Hooray.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:01 am

Yay! She had two large poops (formed) a few minutes ago. This is a big change from all that diarrhea 2 days ago.

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:52 am

This is awesome news!!! :thumbsup:

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:32 am

Sounds like she is doing much better and hopfully kicking whatever bug she has picked up.

Glad to hear she is doing so much better, keep us updated !

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:46 am

Note that Keflex is know for tummy upset, diarrhea ect. ALso given for a minumum of 14 days fro most treatment protocols. If we have a client who has and vomitting or diarrhea we have them stop asap.

This could be the cause.

I agree with previous posts, as vaccinating a sick pup is a BAD idea, and if she had Distemper, her immune system would be a mess. New vet required!

I am sending good thoughts your way and am VERY happy to see shes feeling better!

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:47 am

sigh...please ignore bad spelling, lack of coffee... should be "known" and "for"

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:01 am

and "vomiting"...

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:38 pm

So Audie has been "normal" for the past 2 weeks. She runs and plays, full of energy, and acts very happy. She had diarrhea that ONE day and only vomited once that morning when she was having the diarrhea. Ever since then, she has been completely fine. Her nose cleared up probably the 11th or 12th.

Do you think she is clear of distemper? Or is it still a possibility? Considering her one day of diarrhea, it just doesn't seem to fit. BUT neurological symptoms could take months to show apparently.

This is a big deal considering if she possibly still has it, she shouldn't be around other dogs (therefore we can't take her places, which is causing a rift since it's tough for us to go anywhere as all of our family have dogs). We're ready for her to be socialized! We would also appreciate some peace of mind. Our vet says she probably didn't have it, but other opinions are appreciated.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that for the most part she eats/drinks like normal. Sometimes she doesn't eat as much as others, but that just seems to be her being interested in other things.

Return to “Health Issues”