Yeasty skin?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
LoveBullies
Matured Bully
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:30 pm
Location: South West Florida

Postby LoveBullies » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:35 pm

I support the ACV technique.... Not only do I use it on my dogs.. but I also use it on my horse.... :-) Works wonders...I've also used a touch of skinsosoft..... Not really recommended by most, but does great for dry itchy skin....

User avatar
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7035
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:04 am
Location: Texas

Postby Beowulf » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:56 pm

I've never bathed them in it but I have the Bragg's kind, too. My normal grocery store has it.

User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:17 pm

I was able to get to the store today and picked up the Bragg ACV. She'll get a rinse with it tomorrow. Worth a shot anyway! I can always use it for a gazillion other things if it doesn't work for the bath.

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:21 am

Bathe 2-3 times a week. Its the acetic acid that does the trick, and contact time is your friend. One treatment isn't going to do it. I'd rinse every other day or a quick dip daily for at least a week. If that doesnt' do the trick, time to see a vet for some more powerful stuff.

User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:56 am

Thanks.

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Postby pblove » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:26 am

Allie I don't know if you read the thread I posted about ACV, if not, you can also add it to the food and or water too

User avatar
Marley44
Newborn Bully
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Northern VA

Postby Marley44 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:43 am

What kind of things are you doing to change her allergies? Have you tried a diet change?

A bath is good, but you're only fixing it short term, not getting to the real problem.

just wondering if i can help with any of that.....

:)) :)) :))

User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:55 am

Marley44 wrote:What kind of things are you doing to change her allergies? Have you tried a diet change?

A bath is good, but you're only fixing it short term, not getting to the real problem.

just wondering if i can help with any of that.....

:)) :)) :))


We've been dealing with this issue for years now. There is not possible way for us to eliminate the allergens from her environment. We have made many changes to try to lessen them, though.
She has been tested, so we know her allergens. Immunotherapy (allergen shots) have not worked, allergy pills do not work. Steroids help flare-ups, but she cannot be on them all the time (or ever again, imo). Antibiotics are the only thing that has helped, but I have decided to make a change for her. Diet change did not work in the past, but I am in the process of trying some new things right now-- homeopathic remedies and a very simple, change back over to raw again with help and advice from experienced friends.

User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 am

pblove wrote:Allie I don't know if you read the thread I posted about ACV, if not, you can also add it to the food and or water too


I've read it-- and printed it out too. And forwarded it to friends and family. :)) Thanks!
Unfortunately, the dogs won't go near their water bowl if I put it in there. Sid had some in her food the other night... and ate it begrudingly after she realized it was that or no dinner. If I decide to give it to her orally (which I may decide to do), I'll have to use a syringe. :oops:

User avatar
Marley44
Newborn Bully
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Northern VA

Postby Marley44 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:03 am

Allie wrote:
Marley44 wrote:What kind of things are you doing to change her allergies? Have you tried a diet change?

A bath is good, but you're only fixing it short term, not getting to the real problem.

just wondering if i can help with any of that.....

:)) :)) :))


We've been dealing with this issue for years now. There is not possible way for us to eliminate the allergens from her environment. We have made many changes to try to lessen them, though.
She has been tested, so we know her allergens. Immunotherapy (allergen shots) have not worked, allergy pills do not work. Steroids help flare-ups, but she cannot be on them all the time (or ever again, imo). Antibiotics are the only thing that has helped, but I have decided to make a change for her. Diet change did not work in the past, but I am in the process of trying some new things right now-- homeopathic remedies and a very simple, change back over to raw again with help and advice from experienced friends.



oof. I'm sorry. We see tons of clients with this same problem, and it's pretty much a case by case plan. I agree with steroids being an okay option, but you fry their liver... and i think i'd rather have itchies than a shot liver. See if you can look into acupuncture.. we have a doctor that is just starting, but I wonder if their are some techniques that might help with controlling it at least.

hope you get it all situated soon :)

User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:07 am

Thank you for the concern. :) I love this forum.

I feel like we have exhausted a lot of (if not most/all) conventional options. I'm sick of medicating her all the time with stuff that hurts her body and doesn't help her allergies, you know? :( Poor baby Sidda.

Anyway, I have not looked around for an acupunturist in the area. I'll check into it. Are there certifications I should know about when looking for one?

User avatar
Marley44
Newborn Bully
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Northern VA

Postby Marley44 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:12 am

Allie wrote:Thank you for the concern. :) I love this forum.

I feel like we have exhausted a lot of (if not most/all) conventional options. I'm sick of medicating her all the time with stuff that hurts her body and doesn't help her allergies, you know? :( Poor baby Sidda.

Anyway, I have not looked around for an acupunturist in the area. I'll check into it. Are there certifications I should know about when looking for one?


Yes, i don't know the exact names, but i can find out from our doctor on thursday :) but ABSOLUTELY some certification :)

I have a friend that's dog is allergic to smoke and she won't stop- and another whose dog is allergic to a type of plant that if it is within 50 miles can cause problems for her dog... i totally understand how frustrating allergies can be. You have my admiration for continuing when most owners give up :)

:hug:

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4544
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:51 am
Location: jc, nj

Postby MikeZev » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

sounds very similar to wednesday's case. immunotherapy, steriods, etc. we're about to go back to the vet and ask about other options - i'll let you know what we're trying next...

User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:18 pm

MikeZev wrote:sounds very similar to wednesday's case. immunotherapy, steriods, etc. we're about to go back to the vet and ask about other options - i'll let you know what we're trying next...


Yes, I would love to hear what your vet chooses next, please.

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:26 am

Secondary infections cause MORE discomfort than the allergies themselves. If you can control the yeast infection, you should see a serious change in your pups comfort level. If ACV isn't doing the trick, don't be afraid to break out the topical ketoconazole be it spray, wipes or shampoo.

Low dose steroids every OTHER DAY should be considered for animals that are miserable and you have done what you can to control the secondary infections. Every other day steroids at appropriate doses will not fry the liver or cause other steroid toxicity type side effects unless your dog is particularly sensitive to them. I've seen dogs on every other day prednisone for months with no side effects.

Cyclosporine is another option...

When in doubt, see a dermatologist. They will pinpoint exactly what infections are present and where, as well as give you the best possible treatment options. If you aren't making progress with your current vet, see a specialist. If you're too frustrated with failure from your current vet, then you should already have seen a specialist long ago.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests