My puppy was attacked at the dog park!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:07 am

If its a deep puncture, then you should take her to the vet tomorrow morning so the wound can be flushed with an antiseptic solution that is not damaging to tissues, and to get antibiotics.

I've seen some nasty dog bite wounds get really bad really fast recently. Deep muscle punctures require antibiotics in my opinion. If it was just a superficial scratch I'd say don't bother...

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:06 am

Damn, that SUCKS. Poor Nala. Catch me tomorrow when you are at the vet, ok? I want to kiss her.
Be sure to read through the dog park sticky on the main page too, ok? How's your knee?
See ya tomorrow.

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 am

I'm sorry to hear that - is she a Pit Bull? (19 lbs?) A puppy I presume? I hope she makes a full recovery, and I hope this experience hasn't traumatized her. Young dogs are very impressionable, especially when it comes to interactions with other dogs, and a bad experience can lead to dog aggression issues, especially with these terrier breeds.

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 am

well, i guess you've learned the truth about dog parks the hard way. Just because your dog is well behaved doesn't mean every other yahoo's dog is. I would NEVER bring my dog to a dog park. I'd be too worried, its always easy for people to point a finger at the pit bull, even if it is the other dog that starts it. Let us know how your pup is doing. :)

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:21 am

oreocookie wrote:yeah I willbe much more carefull the next time i take her to the dog park

You should probably reconsider the whole "dog park" thing...

Please read the sticky about dog parks...
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=50274

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:22 pm

The Teflon Don wrote:
oreocookie wrote:yeah I willbe much more carefull the next time i take her to the dog park

x2! :goodpost:

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:28 pm

I'm always completely confused as to why people take their dogs to dog parks especially when they've been attacked there... logic would tell you to not take her there again as it's quite clear that you don't have control over everyone else's dogs. You never will. YOUR job is to protect YOUR dog - which you aren't doing when turning her loose in the middle of such chaos. Find some appropriately matched playmates with responsible owners and let them play that way - avoid the dog park. It's not that fun for the dogs. DOG parks are for PEOPLE.

Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red Brindle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Huckabee got attached by a Jack Russel in our vets waiting room when she was a puppy but she seemed to be OK in the long run. It was really scary and you must have been very shook up. I would make sure to give her some positive experiences with dogs in the next few days to help her shed any fear that she may foster from the attack. From what I have read and heard, fear often manifests itself with agression which you probably want to avoid.

What was the deal with beagle's owners. Did you ask them why they would bring agressive dogs to the dog park? Were the owners apologetic, were the dogs vaccinated?

I don't agree with a no-dog park philosophy like many of the people on this site but I do think that you have to be really careful and watch your dog like a hawk. Odds are that your pup has a great time at the park most times and it is usually great socialization and exercise. If not, go to another park or stop going. My girlfriend and I have developed the strategy that she talks to people and I watch Huckabee and it has worked well for us. Verse yourself in play signals so that you can read if your pup is having fun and if the other dog(s) are playing. This can help you avoid situations like the one with the beagles in the future.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:47 pm

The Teflon Don wrote:

yeah... your puppy might not be so lucky the next time. Why even risk hurting your dog again by putting him in that situation?

hope the wound heals without complications.

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:03 pm

Red Brindle wrote:I don't agree with a no-dog park philosophy like many of the people on this site but I do think that you have to be really careful and watch your dog like a hawk. Odds are that your pup has a great time at the park most times and it is usually great socialization and exercise. If not, go to another park or stop going. My girlfriend and I have developed the strategy that she talks to people and I watch Huckabee and it has worked well for us. Verse yourself in play signals so that you can read if your pup is having fun and if the other dog(s) are playing. This can help you avoid situations like the one with the beagles in the future.

This plan certainly doesn't sound fool-proof...

I wish you the best, for Huckabee's sake...

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Poor baby!
On top of dog parks being a HORRIBLE idea (I would never take my dogs around a bunch of dogs that they didn't know and just set 'em loose), there is the potential for them to catch all kinds of nasties from other dogs.
Not worth the trouble, IMO.
I hope your baby gets better soon, and I hope that this was a learning experience for you.
I also hope that this experience does not negatively affect her view of other dogs.

fireincairo
Newborn Bully

Postby fireincairo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Hopefully things work out fine for your dog. She sounds better already. :thumbsup:

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:29 pm

oreocookie wrote:Nala loves the park and everyone loves her to shes never had any problems before

My crystal ball predicts future problems...

Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red Brindle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:48 pm

The Teflon Don wrote:
Red Brindle wrote:I don't agree with a no-dog park philosophy like many of the people on this site but I do think that you have to be really careful and watch your dog like a hawk. Odds are that your pup has a great time at the park most times and it is usually great socialization and exercise. If not, go to another park or stop going. My girlfriend and I have developed the strategy that she talks to people and I watch Huckabee and it has worked well for us. Verse yourself in play signals so that you can read if your pup is having fun and if the other dog(s) are playing. This can help you avoid situations like the one with the beagles in the future.

This plan certainly doesn't sound fool-proof...

I wish you the best, for Huckabee's sake...

Thank you for your condesending remark. The best for Huckabee's sake...Subtle.

Dog parks have exposed Huckabee to more socialization than 99% of all dog owners who are afraid of dog parks on this forum. All kinds of breeds, all sizes, all temperments. Her current demeanor is that other dogs are fun and interesting. Because of this I can take her with me most places and don't have to exclude her like I would with a less socialized dog. I can go hiking with her off leash and don't have to worry about her attacking another dog. She has a better life because of it.

Now, as she has gotten older she seems to have more interest in chasing balls and frisbees so we do that instead. As a pup she had more fun at dog parks so we went there instead. If she starts to show agression (sometimes she guards her frisbee) we won't go to dog parks. I am not setting her up for failure but rather dog parks have allowed me to socialize her better than any other method because of the amount of dogs and variety. Her genetics may cause her to be dog agressive in the next year or so but dog parks allowed me to give her as much of a chance as possible to be dog friendly/neutral.

One thing I love about dog parks is the opportunity it gives to teach other dog owners that pit bulls are not killers. Little sweet Huckabee has changed dozens of peoples minds that way.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:55 pm

But then condescention is answered with condescention.

People here are not "afraid" of dog parks. Many of them have analyzed the environment provided by most dog parks and found to be unsuitable for all or at least many dogs, most especially a breed known to have dog-aggressive tendencies AS WELL AS facing unfair political challenges, such as BSL. A dog can be well-socialized and still react with violence toward another rude dog, especially when the first dog's ancestors were selected for many generations to fight other dogs.

Your comment would be just like accusing the owner of a hound dog of being "afraid" to let their hound off leash, saying that a hound who is well obedience trained would be fine off leash. Hounds follow scents. And in many cases, PBs finish dog fights (even if they don't start them).

Return to “Health Issues”