My puppy was attacked at the dog park!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby jlphilli » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:24 pm

No point in trying to convince somebody something when they've already convinced themselves they are doing the "right thing." Let them learn the hard way. Who cares if the rest of the APBT community suffers because of their ignorance? sheesh

Just wait for it. Wait for the day when that other, misbehaved dog challenges your "precious Huckabee." See if he will just sit there and take it with submission rather than fight back. Then you will see where the blame is, and what we are all talking about.

User avatar
Pete
Super Bully
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: AZ

Postby Pete » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:33 pm

I will just chime in briefly. I knew this thread was going to turn into this anywho, haha.

I used to argue with people that dog parks are great and my pit bulls hda just as much as right to be there as anyone elses dogs. After I kept reading and reading on here and began to really analyze the dog park and the people/dogs in it, I finally smartened up.

Don;t take people telling the dog park is bad as a personal attack. They are telling you because it is not a good place for your dog. Especially it being an APBT.

I was just like you. But I listened and learned. It really isn't smart and if you keep going, you will end up learning the hard way. Just hope the next time your APBT is attacked it isn't big and strong enough to fight back. Because when it is, it will be the one blamed, no matter what dog started the fight. And if it is the one who hands out the beating, it's life will be in danger if it beats up the wrong dog with the wrong owner.

The genera public don't like pit bulls. And be assured if yours gets into a fight, some idiot will come after you legally.

Hope you listen to everyone. For your dogs safety.

User avatar
GoingPostal
Forum Junky
Posts: 3055
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: MN

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:50 pm

The simple truth is you do not take your dog which was created for the purpose of fighting other dogs to a place with a bunch of dogs running around. It's not rocket science. You seem to think that by socializing your dog she will remain dog-friendly. This is not the case, there are tons of stories on here of dogs who went to the dog park, went to obedience class, loved other dogs....until one day they didn't. My dogs don't go crazy around other dogs, they aren't overly dog aggressive or reactive and I've never taken them to a dog park or doggy daycare. Nonetheless if another female gives the stinkeye to Jersey she will try and eat them. That is the nature of the breed.
She may never fight but if she does I guarantee it will happen fast and most likely no one will know how to break it up, there will be owners freaking out, hitting, screaming and kicking your dog. Making the whole thing 100x worse and probably ensuring your dog's behavior around other dogs will forever change. Do you carry a breakstick and know how to use one? What if another dog runs up and attacks her? Do you think she will sit there nicely forever? Don't set your dog up to fail and put another black mark on the breed. Find a good playmate or two whose owner you trust or don't. My dogs are just fine without "doggy friends", they have me.

User avatar
L Boogie
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2654
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:49 pm
Location: Arnold, Missouri

Postby L Boogie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:53 pm

Dog parks are a great way to get your dog parasites, diseases, and if the unthinkable happens and your dog is attacked, it's a great way to completely destroy all future dog tolerance.

It's not that we're scared of dog parks, we'd just rather swallow our pride and see that our dogs are safe, instead of waiting to be proved wrong at our dogs' expense. Just think of how awful you would feel if your dog or someone else's was seriously injured because you thought you were the exception to the rule?

This is a breed that was created to fight other dogs. Therefore, they do not belong in dog parks. Small playdates are great with one or two other dogs...but dog parks are a free for all...a lot can happen in the time it takes you to get over to your dog to break up a fight.

My male got plenty of socialization when he was young and I was naive...off leash romps with countless dogs. He turned a year old, and quickly decided he hated other dogs. All the socialization in the world won't void your dog's genetics.

User avatar
L Boogie
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2654
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:49 pm
Location: Arnold, Missouri

Postby L Boogie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:54 pm

Sorry, and to the OP, I hope your pup feels better.

User avatar
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7459
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Shingle Springs, CA
Contact:

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 pm

You didn't bring her by to see me. :po:

She can play with Pig and Tonka and Loui etc. :thumbsup:

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4544
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:51 am
Location: jc, nj

Postby MikeZev » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:23 am

Pete wrote:Don;t take people telling the dog park is bad as a personal attack. They are telling you because it is not a good place for your dog. Especially it being an APBT.

.


i should have made this more clear

User avatar
The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4689
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:07 am
Location: Woodstock, VA

Postby The Teflon Don » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 am

MikeZev wrote:
Pete wrote:Don;t take people telling the dog park is bad as a personal attack. They are telling you because it is not a good place for your dog. Especially it being an APBT.

.


i should have made this more clear


I probably could have done a better job getting this point accross, myself...

User avatar
jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 pm
Location: Wadsworth NV

Postby jazminesgranny » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:40 am

My dogs health and well being is far more important than a romp at a dog park... period!

She gets socialized by going places with me on a leash in a controlled environment.. We have 3 other dogs to play with.. and she goes to obedience classes... the dogs go for runs in the desert


Again her health and well being is more important.. and if by her not going to a dog park saves us a nightmare headline in a newspaper then even better!!!

Debby

User avatar
Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Washington DC

Postby Red Brindle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:45 am

MikeZev wrote:your experience is limited. please gain more before you give advice or try to argue points that are wrong to just about everyone else seriously involved with dogs.


I always preface what I write with the source, logic, and/or my experience with it. If you check the regurgitation post that you mentioned I made sure to preface it so don't pretend like I am trying to act like I know everything cause it is a false accusation. You are picking and choosing the details that conveniently help prove your point.

As far as experience, how much dog park experience do the people arguing against it actually have. There is a difference between being involved with pit bulls for 40 years and never taking your dog there because it is common knowledge among people who don't take their dogs to dog parks that you shouldn't take your dog to a dog park. To those people who have experienced problems at dog parks, I respect your opinion.

Note: Your logic for genetics causing pit bulls to be unsuited for dog parks is the same as the logic that says dogs shouldn't eat grain. Hmmm...

User avatar
The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4689
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:07 am
Location: Woodstock, VA

Postby The Teflon Don » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:10 am

I just don't understand why some people can't learn from OTHER PEOPLE'S mistakes...

There is a saying: The hard headed always gotta feel it to believe it...

User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7375
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Postby starrlamia » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:13 am

[quote="Red Brindle
Note: Your logic for genetics causing pit bulls to be unsuited for dog parks is the same as the logic that says dogs shouldn't eat grain. Hmmm...[/quote]

Im sorry but I fail to see the logic in taking a breed of dog, GENETICALLY predisposed to possibly developing dog aggression of some level and at any point in time to a place where a bunch of other, off leash dogs, of unknown temperment, health and owner responsibility are frolicking, running around and free to do as they please.

that makes perfect sense.

User avatar
Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Washington DC

Postby Red Brindle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:23 am

starrlamia wrote:[quote="Red Brindle
Note: Your logic for genetics causing pit bulls to be unsuited for dog parks is the same as the logic that says dogs shouldn't eat grain. Hmmm...


Im sorry but I fail to see the logic in taking a breed of dog, GENETICALLY predisposed to possibly developing dog aggression of some level and at any point in time to a place where a bunch of other, off leash dogs, of unknown temperment, health and owner responsibility are frolicking, running around and free to do as they please.

that makes perfect sense.[/quote]

You are using logic/research instead of experience. Something that I was accused of doing just a few posts ago. Did you know the word 'Hippocrate' isn't in the dictionary?

User avatar
meginok
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2432
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:59 am
Location: Oklahoma

Postby meginok » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:35 am

Red Brindle wrote:You are using logic/research instead of experience. Something that I was accused of doing just a few posts ago. Did you know the word 'Hippocrate' isn't in the dictionary?


Uhm, we're HUMANS. That's one of the few good things about being a human, the ability to use logic/reason over having to experience sometime for ourselves. LOGICALLY, I know it sucks to get run over by a bus. Saves me the pain of running out in front of one to see how it feels for myself.

User avatar
amyd
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:10 pm
Location: www.hellobully.com Pittsburgh,Pa
Contact:

Postby amyd » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:51 am

Red Brindle, the only thing that I can say is, it doesn't happen until it does. And then whatever happens affects ALL of us Pit Bull owners. So not only are we worried about your dog, we are worried about ours.
I don't get why if you understand your dog's history, you would put them in a situation like that.There are so many other ways to socialize and exercise your dog. Ways that you do it in a controlled environment, setting your dog up for positive experiences.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests