Destiny will not eat the diamond naturals, now what?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AprilArchambeau
Newborn Bully

Destiny will not eat the diamond naturals, now what?

Postby AprilArchambeau » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:40 pm

She only eats MAYBE 1 cup out of the 3 cups I give her daily. I figured she will eat it enough when she is hungry, but no. I give the Pug Puppy Chow, and I gave her a cup, it was gone in seconds. So I need to switch the food I think. What is the next best in your opinions, oh and btw, it was the chicken and rice

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Unfortunately, many of the lower quality, cheaper foods are coated with an "animal digest" (i.e. blend of fats, or even restaurant grease) that makes it VERY yummy to dogs without improving nutrition at all. Think about trying to convince a three year old human that broccoli is better than McDonald's!

Have you tried mixing a little bit of a palatable ("yummy") wet food in with the Diamond Naturals? I personally had good results with EVO 100% meat cans. It's a little oily, and the dogs seemed to find it VERY tasty.

Also, are you free-feeding, meaning food stays down 24/7, or at least most of the time? I recommend feeding twice a day, leaving the bowl down for 10-20 minutes, and then picking it up.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:12 pm

typically, a high quality food requires that a dog eats far less than the suggested serving of the cheaper stuff. Then again I'm of the school that if a dog is hungry he'll eat what you give him.

AprilArchambeau
Newborn Bully

Postby AprilArchambeau » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Well, since she is a puppy, I was doing 1 cup and then 4 hours later another cup and 4 hours later last cup. I leave it down for 10 minutes, if she doesn't want it, she gets it 4 hours later. Like I said she is eating MAYBE a cup a day total. I am lost at this point. Not sure what to try. I have not tried wet food. That could get expensive right? I have never seen the brand you are talking about, but I have never fed wet food so I am not too up to par on the brands.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:35 pm

I would suggest doing a search of the forums, even if you just go back the last 5 pages, you will see A LOT of discussion on different dog foods. Did you transition your pup onto Diamonds from another food? How long has she been on it and did you transition slowly?
Sometimes they can be picky, and if you want to try another food I would recommend doing a little reasearch on what foods are OK, Great and the ones you should just stay away from.
How old is she? and where do you feed her?
I found with Grendel that if I dont lock him in his crate to eat, he will take a mouthfull and get completely distracted by everything, he is getting better now that he is older but between 8 weeks and about 16 weeks any little thing could distract him from dinner, it didnt mean he wasnt hungry, just the cat was more interesting then his dinner :P

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Our dogs love Diamond Naturals! Also, Diamond Naturals does not have animal digest(YUCK!).

Some dogs are picky when it comes to dog food. If you can get a higher quality food, you might try that.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:42 am

is this the pug? its possible the diamond naturals is too big for her to chew..

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Maryellen wrote:is this the pug? its possible the diamond naturals is too big for her to chew..

If it is the pug, than get him the small breed Diamond Naturals dog food as the regular or large breed is WAY to big for them to chew.

Our pug, Chops, can only eat the small breed because her mouth is so little.

Return to “Health Issues”