Raw Causing Loose Stools?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Angelo
Newborn Bully

Raw Causing Loose Stools?

Postby Angelo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:41 am

i dont know if im not understanding it correctly or what but my dog has been eating raw for quite sometime now and his stool is still loose. at first i thought it was the detox but now im starting to get scared. its always blackish brown and kinda tary looking. any help? ive had his stool tested for parasites and nothing...

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:41 am

did you read the entire BARF 101 sticky? what are you feeding your dog? are you including bone in the food? how much are you giving?

Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red Brindle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am

Try cutting the portions back. The same thing happened to Huckabee when we switched and her stools became solid when we cut the portion back.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:52 am

Is he getting enough bone? Typically, they should have one meal that contains bone and one that is boneless.
What kind of meat are you feeding him? Beef tends to give my two nasty poop sometimes so I don't feed it at all.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:04 am

too much beef can sometimes backfire on my dogs as well--particularly boneless beef.

you really do need some amount of bone in the diet. i personally also add other stuff, like cooked veggies and sometimes even a bit of cooked whole grains like oatmeal, to provide fiber.

Angelo
Newborn Bully

Postby Angelo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 pm

he's on chicken...i read the whole barf 101..im trying pumpkin today to see how that works. he doesnt look under weight or like he's not holding weight but i just worry about the loose stool...i buy whole chickens and give him a pound to a pound and a half a day (he weighs 74lbs)

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Angelo wrote:he's on chicken...i read the whole barf 101..im trying pumpkin today to see how that works. he doesnt look under weight or like he's not holding weight but i just worry about the loose stool...i buy whole chickens and give him a pound to a pound and a half a day (he weighs 74lbs)

how much bone are you feeding? bone is an extremely essential part of raw feeding. So it may help to know how much you give him

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Has he been checked out for parasites and stuff?

Angelo
Newborn Bully

Postby Angelo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:11 pm

he has been checked for parasites...and he gets the whole chicken...bones, organs, meat.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:19 am

Try cutting back his portion a bit then and see if that helps. Does he get protein other than chicken?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 am

too much organ meat at once will cause the squirts too... i give slippery elm pills if i give too much organ meat to avoid the squirts.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:18 pm

Maryellen wrote:too much organ meat at once will cause the squirts too... i give slippery elm pills if i give too much organ meat to avoid the squirts.

This is true, especially if the dog is getting whole chickens with organs every day. I didn't think of that.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:27 pm

i found that out the hard way, whole chickens with organs every day and the dogs had serious runs... didnt dawn on me it was too much organ meat

Angelo
Newborn Bully

Postby Angelo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:48 pm

wow i didnt know that the organ meat in the chicken may be too much, never crossed my mind. so maybe cut down to 2 days a week for the organ meat and just the other days toss it?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:11 pm

dont toss organ meat FREEZE IT .. i take liver and cut it into little slices,then lay flat inside a ziplock bag, then freeze.. this way when i need to feed organ meat i can take a frozen popsicle of liver piece and put in food each night, this way they get a liver, but not in one big organ, but in little pieces every night until its gone and for breakfast too.. i freeze all organ meats and give in small amounts to avoid the squirts rather then in one lump....even with gizzards, i give one in each meal thruout the week as dumping a whole package in the food at once.. yeah, it could be all the organ meats in the food is too rich for the dog... and always have Slippery Elm pills on hand.. this way if you feed too much organ meat you can give your dog 2 slippery elm pills and the poop will be firm not squirts

Return to “Health Issues”