Allergy? Scratching

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
stopzealot1
Newborn Bully

Allergy? Scratching

Postby stopzealot1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:00 pm

My boy (5months) scratching and biting himself all day. I used to feed him Science diet when he was about 2months and changed to Eukanuba, Canidae, currently Innova Evo but NO luck. Should I go vet to check him?
I really worrying that I found cut on his neck that he scratchs too hard. :sad:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:22 am

YES...

Food is rarely the only answer. Good on you for upgrading, but if he already had bacterial/yeast infections, food alone just won't do the trick. It might help it from coming back, but it isn't a miracle cure.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:24 am

Did you check for fleas?

Marley44
Newborn Bully

Postby Marley44 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:52 am

Often with allergies, the first thing a vet will recommend is a diet change. They are often allergic to a specific protein ie: chicken/beef. When you eliminate that source of protein magically their chronic ear infections, lumpy and itchy skin goes away.
To do a food trial you need to find a different source of protein and stick to ONLY that for about 4 weeks to see results. You can use rabbit, venison and some dogs get away with duck, but studies are showing it is really close to chicken and not always working. I do Natural Balance Venison that i pick up at Petco.
Marley had diarrhea chronically, lumpy skin, and ear infections- which are all gone now.

The catch: You can only feed them that food for the trial. That means: no treats, no table scraps, no trash. The Natural Balance has treats that match the food you try, so that can be used. And really, dogs and cats don't NEED variation in their diets, although I swear APBT like it, they don't really now the difference and are okay with just one type of food and treats.

If you are up for it, try it. I do recommend going to the vet, to get rid of any secondary bacterial infection that may have been caused by allergies. And of course, to rule out things like mange, fleas and just plain irritation.

And, or course, some cases aren't easy and a food trial doesn't work and you need to do allergy testing to determine what exactly they are allergic to, and get serum to build their immune system: which equals money, and injections for life. But it works.

Good luck :) Hope this helped!!

Return to “Health Issues”