Anal Gland Denial

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Anal Gland Denial

Postby littleCloClo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:35 pm

So, Chloe has what I understand to be The Stank of the Anal Glands. :\

If we can smell it, does that mean action is required? :dunno:

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:42 am

lol Well...unless you want to keep smelling it...which means she's leaking that nasty crap...I'd take action! lol

Once Hannah started leaking...I now have her "expressed" once a month and I haven't smelt it since.

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:00 am

Oh, I didn't want to believe it! :crybaby:

I'll be taking her in this week, then. Thanks!

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:02 am

Yeah it's a pretty rank smell...Hannah gets hers done when she goes in for a bath. :)) It's alright...no need to cry...lol

BaltimoreBullie43
Newborn Bully

Postby BaltimoreBullie43 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:57 pm

Is there anything you can do for swollen anal glands? I know you can have them supressed by the vet but what about prevention?

How do you prevent swollen anal glands?

She-rah has had this problem for quite some time. The vet expresses them occasionally but I would like to see this problem gone forever. The smell is disgusting - hard to describe but it's not good.

Marley44
Newborn Bully

Postby Marley44 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 pm

BaltimoreBullie43 wrote:Is there anything you can do for swollen anal glands? I know you can have them supressed by the vet but what about prevention?

How do you prevent swollen anal glands?

She-rah has had this problem for quite some time. The vet expresses them occasionally but I would like to see this problem gone forever. The smell is disgusting - hard to describe but it's not good.

hehehe. removal, full blown surgical removal. They can be caused by allergies, and a diet change (man, i've said that like a GAZILLION times today. sorry) might change it.. or some allergy treatments.

Otherwise, that lovely fishy, brown liquid that the veterinary staff is so familiar with (*sigh*) will not be going away any time soon. You're in for the long haul.

BaltimoreBullie43
Newborn Bully

Postby BaltimoreBullie43 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks for the reply....

That smell is like no other.... :yucky:

If I can smell it (about two times a week) She-Rah will be licking that area. I wish there was something proactive I could do to alleviate this problem.

Thanks again for all your help.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Just because you smell anal glands doesn't mean you need to take action. It means they're expressing on their own. Yeah, it stinks, and it's just part of owning dogs. Most of mine do it when they poop but I have one dog that expresses his multiple times per day. It stinks but he cleans himself up well and the smell goes away. I would only get worried if your dog CAN'T express the glands on her own. Symptoms would be ongoing scooting (not just a one-time thing), biting at her butt area and straining as if to poop more after she's already gone.

BaltimoreBullie43
Newborn Bully

Postby BaltimoreBullie43 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:50 pm

Ruffmutt - thanks, that is the best piece of advice I have received so far - a better explanation than my vet!!

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:07 pm

so whats the difference between this and your dog farting...how can u tell which is which

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:42 pm

The difference is that a fart smells like rotten eggs. Anal glands smells like rotten fish. You WILL know the difference. Some dogs, though, always do it when they go poop so you'll never smell it. As long as a dog has firm stools typically anal glands are never an issue.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:02 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:The difference is that a fart smells like rotten eggs. Anal glands smells like rotten fish. You WILL know the difference. Some dogs, though, always do it when they go poop so you'll never smell it. As long as a dog has firm stools typically anal glands are never an issue.

lol I don't know which is worse, rotten eggs or rotten fish. Oh the joy of owning dogs!

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:Just because you smell anal glands doesn't mean you need to take action. It means they're expressing on their own. Yeah, it stinks, and it's just part of owning dogs. Most of mine do it when they poop but I have one dog that expresses his multiple times per day. It stinks but he cleans himself up well and the smell goes away. I would only get worried if your dog CAN'T express the glands on her own. Symptoms would be ongoing scooting (not just a one-time thing), biting at her butt area and straining as if to poop more after she's already gone.

Thank you! She's seems okay with pooping, and there is no scooting, she just spends some time cleaning her bum. The smell isn't constant, either, so I guess she's taking care of business okay, then. That is some really special stink, though! Blargh!

avalon
Newborn Bully

Postby avalon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:37 pm

At my vet, we actually can infuse the anal sacs with something. I can't think of the name of it at the moment, its on the tip of my tongue, lol. We do a series of injections over several weeks. Some dogs have chronic problems, and we have to do the series multiple times. It definitely seems to give relief to the problems though.

As far as expressing, I do my own every time mine get a bath so I can just hose it off the shower walls....fun!

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 pm

avalon wrote:At my vet, we actually can infuse the anal sacs with something. I can't think of the name of it at the moment, its on the tip of my tongue, lol. We do a series of injections over several weeks. Some dogs have chronic problems, and we have to do the series multiple times. It definitely seems to give relief to the problems though.

As far as expressing, I do my own every time mine get a bath so I can just hose it off the shower walls....fun!

when you can infuse my dogs ass with some Febreeze let me know and we will be right over lol

Return to “Health Issues”