Finding a supplier/co-op?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Allie
Addicted to PBF

Finding a supplier/co-op?

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:01 am

I'm looking for green tripe near home and so far I am waiting for a call back from one farm on the other side of the state. I was hoping to figure out how to find other raw feeders/co-ops in my area to make things easier or cheaper.

How does one go about locating raw suppliers or co-ops in their area?

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 am

I haven't ordered any yet but here's one i have looked at: http://www.greentripe.com/ - they deliver but it's not a co-op.

I've been getting some canned for $2+ a can but it's obviously processed vs fresh n raw.

Red Brindle
Adolescent Bully

Postby Red Brindle » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 am

There are Yahoo Groups that are solely for raw feeding. You can find people to split huge orders of meat from wholesale supplier there.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:36 am

greentripe.com will deliver next day for frozen tripe.

allie join the yahoo.com, and type in raw feeders or raw, or barf and it will bring up a ton of groups. normally we buy in bulk ( a couple hundred each person) to get the price down to as close to .37 a possible... i even found a supplier on my group that will deliver frozen raw as well...

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:05 pm

ditto on the yahoo group thing--the yahoo group in my area has been a godsend.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:16 pm

Allie, join Michigan Barf and Suppliers on the yahoo groups. I get all my meat from Eastern Market, I go there once a month. I used to get tripe from Peeter Moolizan from Taylor Ponds, but he is so unreliable with delivery, etc., that I just buy canned tripe now. There is a member on here, Cortney (SN used to be stolly, but I think she changed it, can't remember to what), that found a supplier of tripe up that way dirt cheap; but you have to clean it yourself, I think.

There is also a group that started a coop, they put a group order in and do a once a month thing, but I didn't join it.

Let me know if you find a reliable source for fresh tripe, I'd be interested.
~M.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:56 pm

I can't figure out yahoo groups. I hate them. They are too confusing for me. :oops:

Anyway, Taylor Pond Farms is the one I was told about. Not good news to hear you've had bad experiences. I'm trying to figure out how their shipping and ordering works, but they haven't called me back.

As far as the www.greentripe.com, I'll check it out. They don't seem to have a lot of order info on their site, so I'm going to have to call.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:30 pm

Get used to Peter not calling you back. He has a good product, but is a HORRIBLE person to do business with.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:54 pm

concreterose wrote:Get used to Peter not calling you back. He has a good product, but is a HORRIBLE person to do business with.

Hence the reason Im looking for another supplier.
Can someone explain to me how the yahoo groups work? Where do I go, how do I sign up, etc?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

allie go to yahoo.com then type in search BARF, RAW in MI and it should bring up co ops. find one in your state,then go on that site and click the link Join This Group. you have to put in your email, and why you want to join . then they approve you,and send you a confirmation email, then you start posting looking for food and prices andsuch.. its super easy ..

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 pm

I can post up in the carnivoire feed supplier list to look for Green Tripe in your area.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:05 am

Ok, I can do this. :) Thanks for the help.
And Fran, your help is appreciated. I am in Grand Rapids, MI.

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:07 pm

concreterose wrote:I used to get tripe from Peeter Moolizan from Taylor Ponds, but he is so unreliable with delivery, etc., that I just buy canned tripe now. There

Oh yeah, he is HORRIBLE!!! I used to be a delivery site for him here a few years back and he was constantly changing dates, times, etc. There is one distributor that he uses though, I believe it's called My Pet Carnivore and somehow she is able to get all of the orders straight through Pete. Good think about working with him, or through My Pet Carnivore is that there are bulk tripe orders a couple of times a year and as long as you and a group can get together an order of 500 lbs or more, the prices are really good. You just have to be willing to deal with the fact that you might not get your order on time with Pete, or even remotely close to the date you thought you would. :sad:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Sounds like with TPF, I am calling a store in Kzoo that places orders with him, then I go and pick up from her.... ?? That will not work for me on a consistent basis, anyway. So, if I'm going to feed the tripe all the time, I will need to find a better option. I'll probably try this once, though, since it's all I've got right now.

Off to try out yahoo right now. ;)

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:27 pm

The think I like about TPF is that they do have some products that are hard to find elsewhere, as long as you can deal with the flaky schedules and never hearing back from someone. I like their lamb femurs as rec bones and haven't really been able to find them elsewhere. Also, they sell ground beef pancreas, which is good for diabetic dogs (too bad Tiny won't touch it, but nice to know it's available). I have received spoiled tripe from them though in the past that would pretty much bomb the whole house everytime I opened the freezer. Fresh tripe is bad enough but spoiled tripe is enough to make you :yucky:

Return to “Health Issues”