Missing link?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ams036
Adolescent Bully

Missing link?

Postby ams036 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:53 am

Does anyone use the supplement called missing link? Every time I see it at Petco I contemplate buying it but I wanted others opinions first. I have her on Wolf King Solid Gold for now until I can afford to feed RAW. I also give her a boiled egg, salmon oil, a pet tab (multivitamin) and every now and then some bananas, sliced apples, carrots, or plain yogurt.[/url]

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:59 am

Awfully expensive in my opinion.

I got some free samples in vet school and I used it... I felt that fish oil supplementation was equivalent or better, and MUCH cheaper too.

ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby ams036 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:27 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Awfully expensive in my opinion.

I got some free samples in vet school and I used it... I felt that fish oil supplementation was equivalent or better, and MUCH cheaper too.

OK! Well if Salmon oil is just as good/better than I will stick with it, and save money! I just bought it today.

On a side note, I think I just finally made the decision to become a veterinarian, but I am only a sophomore in college so I have some time. I wanted to be one when I was a kid, (what little girl doesn't) and after working at a kennel and rescuing Grace I think I have decided that's where my heart is. Do you enjoy it?

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re: Missing link?

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:28 am

ams036 wrote:Does anyone use the supplement called missing link? Every time I see it at Petco I contemplate buying it but I wanted others opinions first. I have her on Wolf King Solid Gold for now until I can afford to feed RAW. I also give her a boiled egg, salmon oil, a pet tab (multivitamin) and every now and then some bananas, sliced apples, carrots, or plain yogurt.[/url]

I tried it before and my personal opinion on it is that it's garbage and a waste of money. The dogs hated having it on their food.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:40 am

I've used it in the past and honestly didn't see a huge difference, AND it's overpriced. There are supplements just as good, if not better, that are a cheaper (fish oil being the main one).

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 am

you can go with a combo of fish oil, sea kelp and glucosamine that will probably cost the same if not a bit more and see better results. read up a bit on the glucosamine though - its not something i'm very familiar with but i know that there are other things to give with it to maximize its effect.

Lara
Newborn Bully

Postby Lara » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:36 pm

For what's it's worth - and I say humbly - It has done wonders for my dogs. It is the only thing that cleared up my bully's skin and the glucosamine is helpful to my old man dog. I use it in conjunction with a raw diet. It can be purchased at Amazon.com for half the price.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:01 am

It's mostly flax seed and dogs don't absorb the Omega-3's in flax as well as from animal sources like fish oil. Save your money and give fish oil!!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:59 am

ams036 wrote:
On a side note, I think I just finally made the decision to become a veterinarian, but I am only a sophomore in college so I have some time. I wanted to be one when I was a kid, (what little girl doesn't) and after working at a kennel and rescuing Grace I think I have decided that's where my heart is. Do you enjoy it?

I love it... best career in the world. Its hard work, crappy pay for the hours and schooling, but worth every bit of hard work and heartbreak.

Some tips:

1. Do it for people, not just the animals or you'll be disappointed.
2. Getting good grades isn't enough, diversify yourself while you still can. I know 4.0 presidents of the pre-vet club who didn't get into vet school until the third attempt... find out what makes you UNIQUE and exploit it.
3. If you need any tips, help choosing classes, ideas for summer work... send me a PM. I'm always glad to lend a helping hand...

Return to “Health Issues”