HELP ME PLEASE!!!! my 10 month old pit is loosing her hair!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
caino313
Newborn Bully

HELP ME PLEASE!!!! my 10 month old pit is loosing her hair!!

Postby caino313 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:08 pm

my baby mona is loosing her hair i took her to the vet a week ago he told me she has a mild mange prob. i guess that is commen in pits? he gave me a cream to put on it. it dose not seem to be doing any good. pluss now it seems to be spreding. her hair on her back had thined out befor but the i stoped giving her treats from 3 dog bakery and it cleard right up now i dont know if it had anything to do with the treats but it did clear up about a week after i stoped giving her treats. i feed her blue buffalo large puppy food. is there anything anyone can think of that i might be doing wrong? i also give her flax seed oil to help with her coat. she is a beutiful girl with a real shiny coat but in the 2 spots where she has lost her hair it has me concerned and now her hair on her back is thining out i dont know what to do she is my baby and i will do anything to get her healthy again i just hope there is a way to fix this someone please help..

GreenEyedBully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby GreenEyedBully » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Did the vet want to give her Ivomect orally or Mitaban dips for the mange?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:06 pm

Take her back, or get a 2nd opinion :dunno:

caino313
Newborn Bully

Postby caino313 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:04 pm

i think i am going to take her in to see a new vet on friday i was not happy with the vet i have been taking her to. i just wish i new if there was somthing i could be doing now befor taking her to the vet to help her besides this she is a very happy healthy girl.

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:27 pm

I don't know of any creams that are effective against mange. vets either prescribe pills (as previously mentioned) or the dips. With the dips, it might take a couple of dips to make sure it's all gone. Sounds like she has generalized demo, which is a genetic condition, so if she isn't spayed, she should be spayed soon.

Has she been sick at all other than the mange (because sometimes this can come on with a compromised immune system). A 10 month old dog is a little mature for such an onset, if the dog has never had problems before (how long has she had the mange?)... but at this age, she may have "flare ups" down the road.

caino313
Newborn Bully

Postby caino313 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:39 pm

she is spayed already she has had no other health probs i have had her since she was 10 weeks old and she has never been sick or had any kind of probs till about 2 months ago when she started loosing her hair.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:36 pm

Hairloss in a puppy is mange until proven otherwise, but at her age I'd suspect a bacterial infection... did you vet test the skin to see what was there?

I personally prefer Ivermectin for mange... its a liquid medication. Every vet has their own treatment plan, and several things work. Keep in mind that if its really mange, it may take MONTHS to treat... so don't give up. I'd still get a second opinion, especially if your vet didn't do any actual tests.

caino313
Newborn Bully

Postby caino313 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:08 pm

my vet did a skin scrape and under the micro scope he found mange. he gave me a cream to put on it i dont know what it is called im at work right now so i cant look i am also giving her a bath in i think its called oxidile???once a week. my gf is a dog groomer and it was what the vet said could help it flushis the hair.

GreenEyedBully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby GreenEyedBully » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:17 pm

At our office, they usually recommend the Ivermectin but the dip is what a lot of people end up doing and it takes a lot of dips. I had a foster that had demodex & I used the oral Ivermectin on her. She had to have 3 prescriptions of it at 32 bucks a bottle & I forget how many skin scrapes. I have never heard of a cream.

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:39 pm

My Hazel had mange, too. It is very common in young, poorly bred pitbulls. I had to give her about 5 or 6 mitaban dips and I also had to shave her head when her hair started growing back and wash her scalp with a special shampoo that flushes out the hair follicles. I think it was called Benzoil.

The mange didn't bother her too much. It just looked bad.

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:27 pm

GreenEyedBully wrote:At our office, they usually recommend the Ivermectin but the dip is what a lot of people end up doing and it takes a lot of dips. I had a foster that had demodex & I used the oral Ivermectin on her. She had to have 3 prescriptions of it at 32 bucks a bottle & I forget how many skin scrapes. I have never heard of a cream.

:goodpost: on Ivermectin..... we're using it on a Bull Terrier that came in.... and on my little puppies momma....

Return to “Health Issues”